Planning to compete for first time October 9 2010, looking for advice

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Planning to compete for first time October 9 2010, looking for advice
RyanC
8/3/10 4:47:44PM
I started traing BJJ/MMA last July, and have been training pretty consistent other than a couple months I took off during the spring to remodel my house. I'll be competing as a beginner/novice - white belt. I'm currently a Lightweight, but I'm going to try to drop a few pounds to get down to Featherwieght before the day of the competition since I think it will be to my advantage to be at the top end of a weight class rather than the bottom.

So anyways, what I'm looking for is advice on how to prepare to compete since I've never done this before. What should I be doing to improve my conditioning and muscle endurance? What should I be eating? What should I focus on at the gym? How should I mentally prepare myself?

Any help would be appreciated. . . the decision to compete was just made so I have yet to consult my intructors and members of my gym, but any extra help I can get would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Caesarrrr
8/3/10 7:36:49PM
Are you competing in MMA or BJJ?

I'd caution against dropping down the night before, you'll lose a lot of energy. Speed and cardio will be better at a natural weight, especially if you're not used to weight cutting.

How would you rate your Cardio and muscle endurance?

And what are some foods you like to eat? I'd eat a lot of protein and greens, and eat smaller meals throughout the day. Not just 3. The week before start eating more pasta. Also mix in breads.

Jackelope
8/3/10 7:45:24PM
You'll definitely want to carb load the night before if you can.

One thing I would say about your first tournament is to not place too much pressure on yourself. Go out there, relax, and have fun. It's not like there is anything real serious on the line here. Just go learn and have fun.

As far as what to do I would honestly just prepare yourself for anything. It's not like you know who your opponents are going to be or what their specialties are. Just prepare yourself for everything. Be prepared to win the positional battle first off, but from there just try to relax and learn.
Caesarrrr
8/3/10 7:51:00PM

Posted by Jackelope

One thing I would say about your first tournament is to not place too much pressure on yourself. Go out there, relax, and have fun. It's not like there is anything real serious on the line here. Just go learn and have fun.

As far as what to do I would honestly just prepare yourself for anything. It's not like you know who your opponents are going to be or what their specialties are. Just prepare yourself for everything. Be prepared to win the positional battle first off, but from there just try to relax and learn.

I'd also talk to your coach and ask him where you're strengths are, and get him to help you build those.

I.E - if you're have good bjj, work takedowns, etc.
Jackelope
8/3/10 7:56:28PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

Posted by Jackelope

I'd also talk to your coach and ask him where you're strengths are, and get him to help you build those.

I.E - if you're have good bjj, work takedowns, etc.

I'm pretty sure he's doing a BJJ tournament considering he said he's competing as a white belt and also that he hasn't decided yet what weight class he'll be fighting at. You would need to know that if it were an amateur fight unless it's some kind of crazy ass tournament or something I've never heard of
Caesarrrr
8/3/10 8:07:01PM
I've seen open amateur tournaments here, you enter that night and it's random. Very low key amateur fights, but still.

I honestly don't know anything about a competition at bjj, but I can help you build a routine if you want to cut weight over the next few months.
Jackelope
8/3/10 10:07:01PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

I've seen open amateur tournaments here, you enter that night and it's random. Very low key amateur fights, but still.

I honestly don't know anything about a competition at bjj, but I can help you build a routine if you want to cut weight over the next few months.

Wow that's really surprising that they have that kind of competition. I've seen it in Pankration type tournaments but never in full on MMA. Not sure how I feel about that but hey if guys do it and enjoy it I guess more power to them
RyanC
8/3/10 10:12:38PM
It's a BJJ tourney in MN. . . sorry I wasn't quite clear on that. Thanks for the advice.
RyanC
8/4/10 11:42:05AM
Well I'm really starting off on the right foot. . . . got myself a nasty case of food poisoning. No time on the mat or in the gym today. . .
DJBlankenship
8/4/10 6:28:25PM

Posted by RyanC

Well I'm really starting off on the right foot. . . . got myself a nasty case of food poisoning. No time on the mat or in the gym today. . .

well, should help with the weight cutting
RyanC
8/5/10 11:55:33AM
Well good news for me, bad news for competing. . . I got a job today which may put an end to the October competition unless I can really squeeze the most out of my time. May have to shoot for the spring Submission Hunt now . . . . dammit. We'll see but I'm not so set on October now that my daily training is going to be put to a halt.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be sure to post results if I go through with it.