Pitbull's Training Log

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Pitbull's Training Log
Pitbull09
1/6/09 1:47:11AM
So to begin with, what I am doing is very lame and I accept that so avoid flaming.
Here it is.
For two years now, I have had a amatuer type fight group with my friends (pretty much a bunch of rednecks backyard wrestling) and after around 20 fights later, we decided to end the whole thing with a one day tournament as this is our last year of high school. It's an eight-man single elimination tournament and I really really want to win this.
Its not just a statement that I beat my friends at some dumb fight club thing but it would give me confidence as I am working to do amatuer MMA sometime in the late summer or early fall.
My Backround- I have been training submission grappling for 8 months now and have no other real fight training or experience. The only stand up I do is bag work in my weight room but I'm sure my technique is all wrong. I look at YouTube for help in boxing but eventually will be training Muay Thai next year in Ohio hopefully.
The reason for this thread is simply motivation to be disiplined in my training up to the tournament (sometime in march) as it will get me not only in peak condition for that but also another grappling tournament in the spring.

So from now on, I will be logging in my workout along with some details of the other guys in the tournament.

Please pity wish me luck than flame
postman
1/6/09 9:22:02AM
Pull guard and sub em all!
Mattchoo
1/6/09 12:53:23PM
If you have no training in that sort of thing, going off on your punch bag isnt going to make you any better old boy.

Try looking at fine technique and going through the motions slowly on the punchbag. Instead of whaling on it you'l actualy pick up the proper technique that will eventually be self taught into your shots!

Should keep you at a good enough level before you train properly anyways.

Oh and try not to stand in one spot over and over, garuantee you you'l never be standing in one spot in a fight. - most people make that mistake on a punchbag and wonder why they miss alot.

any help?

wiggum
1/6/09 2:25:52PM
if your doing grappling already, theres not much you can do leading up to the fight in the deptarment....i dont know what they teach you in your classes, but you might want to work on takedowns if thats were you want the fight to go...simple drills you can is while your hitting on your heaving bag, practice shooting in on it...and mix it up, practicing setting up a takedown like throwing a jab and shoot in or a combo and shoot in etc.....also practice headmovement, and shooting in..as in parry'n a punch and shooting in.....with the standup game, just practice boxing, get comfortable with your positioning and footwork more then practicing power shots....kicking in actual mma situations is alot harder to learn proper technique than some people think and with not much time to learn, stick to your hands, and maybe throw in some elbows and knees for when its clinch time......if you want to pick up a few techniques to learn with out going to class, drop 20 bucks or less and pick up a book.....theres some decent boxing drill books out there that are cheap and will help you with your form if nothing else....also, anderson silva has a new book out there focused on striking for mma, i hear its really good as far as books go and that it goes over footwork, defense as much as striking technique......but right now, remeber one thing, less is more when it comes to striking...little movements instead of swinging for the fences...then you can get inside, take them down, and play your game...good luck!
Pitbull09
1/6/09 5:37:55PM

Posted by wiggum

if your doing grappling already, theres not much you can do leading up to the fight in the deptarment....i dont know what they teach you in your classes, but you might want to work on takedowns if thats were you want the fight to go...simple drills you can is while your hitting on your heaving bag, practice shooting in on it...and mix it up, practicing setting up a takedown like throwing a jab and shoot in or a combo and shoot in etc.....also practice headmovement, and shooting in..as in parry'n a punch and shooting in.....with the standup game, just practice boxing, get comfortable with your positioning and footwork more then practicing power shots....kicking in actual mma situations is alot harder to learn proper technique than some people think and with not much time to learn, stick to your hands, and maybe throw in some elbows and knees for when its clinch time......if you want to pick up a few techniques to learn with out going to class, drop 20 bucks or less and pick up a book.....theres some decent boxing drill books out there that are cheap and will help you with your form if nothing else....also, anderson silva has a new book out there focused on striking for mma, i hear its really good as far as books go and that it goes over footwork, defense as much as striking technique......but right now, remeber one thing, less is more when it comes to striking...little movements instead of swinging for the fences...then you can get inside, take them down, and play your game...good luck!

Ha, I actually have a cement floor so at first I couldnt do it but lately I have put a matress under it and practiced mixing my punches with takedowns. MY class teaches basic takedowns like single, and double and one other thing. I like the double but I think I am best off clinching with the person, pushing off and going for my takedown.

I feel like the gracie in this tournament because I am the only guy training for the ground while the other people are learning Tae Kwon Doe and Muay Thai. Also, the standup isnt much of a factor in the fights as half the people said they would only to it if there was no punching the face so this is very very amatuer MMA. I am about to go to my class and will post after.
Thanks for all the comments so far
Pitbull09
1/6/09 5:42:45PM

Posted by Mattchoo

If you have no training in that sort of thing, going off on your punch bag isnt going to make you any better old boy.

Try looking at fine technique and going through the motions slowly on the punchbag. Instead of whaling on it you'l actualy pick up the proper technique that will eventually be self taught into your shots!

Should keep you at a good enough level before you train properly anyways.

Oh and try not to stand in one spot over and over, garuantee you you'l never be standing in one spot in a fight. - most people make that mistake on a punchbag and wonder why they miss alot.

any help?

This is good too. I do find myself just slowly doing my punches to help me speed up combinations. I really have only been praticing a jab, cross, left leg kick. Idk if that works good together but I figure the first two punches will back my oppponent and get me an easy shot on their front leg.

I have trouble with footwork but have been doing my punches and step over to the left and throw more. Idk if it is actually used that way but I will throw stuff and with my back foot step over to my left and then bring my foward over and supposedly be facing my opponents side
Pitbull09
1/7/09 6:43:07PM
Tuesday January 6th
Easier day as it is only my submission grappling class.
The class started with warm up like jogging, bear crawl, takedowns, ect. then we moved on to wall drills. I did decent there as I went against a guy fairly the same weight as me. All his takedowns led to me getting mount or in his half guard. I felt more comfortable using my legs for sweeps as well this time around as I knew where my balance was.
Next was sparring, I went against my bro first who I go in a triangle first but also got stuck in a triangle at the end of the round. Next guy was the same as the wall drill, he was a wrestler so when I shot in he took my back eventually but somehow I pulled halfguard from it (still cant remember how i did it) and eventually I got into closed guard. He has only been training as long as me so he made the mistake of leaving a hand on the mat so I immediately pulled New York in rubber guard and got to the omoplata but couldn;t finsh him. He flipped over and i got side control and then full mount. I dont know much from mount and hate giving it up by going for triangles or armbars so I play safe and went for key locks til the round ended. He later showed me how to do a Gift Wrap which I want to try to pull off next class.
Next guy was one of the better guys there. I think hes about 205 and he was sparring with better guys so he was way more tired than me so it made a good roll. I was suprised how good my half guard had gotten as every person i had it with, I always was able to get back into guard. That round went back and forth with him doing better at the end as he got into mount til i shrimped out.

End of the class we learned this low percentage move if you have a guys back. Prob wont help me for awhile but it was a cool move.

This class felt 10x better than previous as I finally have a better idea after using Eddie Bravos books for the past three weeks but I still have a lot to learn.
Pitbull09
1/8/09 9:32:10PM
Thursday January 8th

Weights 3 sets
Bench 160 x 10
Butterfly 40 x 10
Shoulder Shrug 110 x 15
DB Curls 35 x 10
Military Press 60 x 10
Squats 60 x 10
Iron Cross 20 x 10

After that
Bag work
Sit Ups 20-20 (left then right)-5 (Weighted)
Leg Lifts 40-30-20-10
Pitbull09
1/11/09 1:26:10AM
Saturday January 10th

I think I got food poisoning today so waited til late to work out.

Weights 3 sets
Bench 160 x 10
Butterfly 40 x 10
Shoulder Shrug 110 x 15
DB Curls 35 x 10
Military Press 60 x 10
Squats 60 x 10
Iron Cross 20 x 10

I avoided situps and leg lifts as I prob would've thrown up.