St. Pierre and Faber Join Sherdog P4P Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » St. Pierre and Faber Join Sherdog P4P Rankings
grappler0000
1/9/08 12:04:25PM
The first Sherdog pound-for-pound rankings in 2008 deliver a significant shakeup outside the top three.

Jumping onto the list is Georges St. Pierre (Pictures), who goes from unranked into the top five. Also joining the list for the first time is featherweight Urijah Faber (Pictures), who defended his WEC belt in December against Jeff Curran (Pictures).

Lightweights Gilbert Melendez (Pictures), loser of a tight decision on New Year's Eve, and Sean Sherk (Pictures), inactive while fighting and serving a suspension for steroids, were dropped from the list.

Link
Trench777
1/9/08 12:22:25PM
Think I'd have to flip-flop GSP & Fedor (if not putting Fedor even a bit lower...maybe below Hendo). I'd prolly have Faber a notch or 2 higher as well. I foresee Faber dominating for as long as his focus on the sport remains high. (then again, I foresaw Liddell owning Rampage, so dont bet the rent on my foresights

Pretty nasty top 10 list, tho!!

(most surprising to me, was that GSP wasn't on the list last time around. He didn't just all of sudden get great, he was great before & after the Serra luck-shot as well. Just my opinion.)

T777
GlancyMMA
1/9/08 12:48:07PM
Yeah there's no way Faber should be 8th he's top 5 P4P, he's just been tearing through featherweights.

And GSP should be ranked higher than Rampage. I know rampage is a champ however other than his impressive win over Lidell, the Hendo decision and a win over so-so fighter Marvin Eastman shouldn't put him at #2....

Trench777
1/9/08 1:03:04PM

Posted by GlancyMMA

Yeah there's no way Faber should be 8th he's top 5 P4P, he's just been tearing through featherweights.

And GSP should be ranked higher than Rampage. I know rampage is a champ however other than his impressive win over Lidell, the Hendo decision and a win over so-so fighter Marvin Eastman shouldn't put him at #2....

Well, in Rampage's defence (not that he needs my help, LOL)...they aren't just looking at UFC fights, needless to say. He was absolutely brutal in Pride. I remember the one fight where he was about to get triangle choked out while he was on top & he summoned up -insane- strength, picked the guy up and SLAMMED him on the mat, knocking him senseless (if not out completely, I forget). Was one of the most impressive things I have EVER seen in MMA on any level.

T777
GlancyMMA
1/9/08 2:59:12PM
You're right, this wouldn't just look at UFC matches....

The one you are referencing would be when Rampage KOed Ricardo Arona with that powerslam in the first round. That was Critical Countdown - the Pride even back in 2004.

That was an impressive win.

However, I do take into consideration other venues, and GSP has held both the UFC and TKO titles at once. He was dominating the TKO welterweight division while winning the UFC Welterweight title and training for the NCAA Olympic Greco Roman wrestling tryouts. The Kid is a Phenom and I would but him at number 2 right after the more experienced Silva (for now...)

Rampage is just a little lack luster to be clasified as the 2 best P4P fighter.