Picks for UFC 80

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Picks for UFC 80
StevieC
1/9/08 1:12:35PM
UFC 80: Rapid Fire

BJ “The Prodigy” Penn vs. Joe “Daddy” Stevenson

This fight will be decided by one word, Stamina. Look for Stevenson to come out strong and quick, as usual, and possible win round one. BJ will gas, as usual, and work from his back most of the fight. Stevenson’s strength will dominate but BJ’s smarts and raw talent will prevail. Stevenson will be more gassed than Penn by round 3.

Pick: Penn round 3 by Submission (triangle choke) who doesn’t want to see Penn vs. Sherk?

Jason “The Punisher” Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia

Gouveia has looked very good as of late winning three in a row in the UFC. All by submission they were against average UFC fighters, two being stand-up fighters and one a pure wrestler. Lambert coming off a huge knockout of Babalu is looking to rise again in the LHW division. This long delayed match up will show Lambert’s strength at it’s finest. Look for Lambert to knock him down and work the ground n’ pound. A Gouveia victory, however, would shoot him up the rankings.

Pick: Lambert round 2 by TKO (ref stoppage)

Gabriel “Napao” Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum

Werdum had a very unimpressive debut vs. The Pitbull and Gonzaga is coming off of a complete domination by The Natural. Both fighters should be coming out and utilizing their games. Werdum might have a chip on his shoulder too from Gonzaga’s knockout of Cro Cop. Overall I think Gonzaga is a more complete fighter and he will do what the Pitbull didn’t; finish Werdum. My pick for “Fight of the Night”

Pick: Gonzaga round 2 KO (kick)

Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis vs. Jess “Joker” Liaudin

Davis’s perfect UFC record will stay perfect. The Grenade will dominate the ground for a quick submission. Nothing to take away from Liaudin, who is 2-0 in the UFC, but Davis is on a killing spree.

Pick: Davis round 1 Submission (arm bar)

Kendall “Da Spyda” Grove vs. Jorge “El Conquistador” Rivera

This will be a very good fight. It will be back and forth with Grove looking to bounce back from a shocking loss to Patrick Cote and Rivera looking to resurrect his career. Grove showed weakness with his sub par standup game and soft chin. Rivera also has a soft chin but if he keeps it standing look for Grove to lose two in a row. I will give it to Grove if it goes to the ground. This is my upset special.

Pick: Rivera round 2 KO (punch)

Other picks for UFC 80

Sam Stout KO round 1 of Per Eklund
Colin Robinson KO round 2 of Antoni Hardonk
Paul Taylor Unanimous Decision of Paul Kelly
James Lee Submission round 2 of Alessio Sakara

Pookie
1/10/08 12:08:29AM
i think your are going to go 6-3 on the event

btw...
"Grove showed weakness with his sub par standup game..."

You know he was pretty much dominating cote before he got caught, right?