Picking Philosophies/ How is your season record?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Picking Philosophies/ How is your season record?
JackHammerXXX
2/22/09 9:34:07PM
Just got done posting about season records. I wanted to focus on how people pick, why they pick, and the results.
First, picking the UFC events is relatively easy, in terms of at least knowing
or hearing of the guy(s). But when it comes to the Sec. League picks' i.e. WEC, DREAM, Sengoku etc. I am basing my picks completely on a.have I heard, seen, these guys fight b.their record c.my confidence, lack there of.
I didn't fair, or haven't faired as well in the Sec. League, and that is why, because I never heard of these guys. I don't wanna say I cherry pick in the Sec, league, but I have changed my philosophy and stopped choosing 'every' fight, as I do in the Playground.
What I look at first, is do I know this guy? Then, I look at their records, how are their fights finishing. Are there alot of KO's or subs, are there alot of Decisions. How do Iose, how do they win? I look at their height, and age. Now, it is always nice when you have YouTube fights, and MMA videos of these guys, but in cases like ol' Paulo Thiago, we just don't know, or just don't care...ain't that right Kos? Anyways, I hear that fight camps have forums about who they are picking, and maybe that would be nice, and is what I need, but my picks, up to this point have been mine, solely, and I can't always say i'm happy with myself, but I have done alright.

Whos camps' have good forums about picking, and do guys' pick only fights where familiar fighter are in, does everyone follow the same type of philosophies?
EvenFlow
2/22/09 9:51:18PM
I look at the stats per event after making gut picks, maybe weigh-in changes and of corse favortism. Sometimes theres limited information on fighters and matchups and there are a lot of picks I shouldve gotten right thats for sure.
Shawn91111
2/22/09 11:16:19PM
Having a good fight camp is helpful. Being in the Dark Horse and having a picks guru is very helpful. They breakdown fight by fight and the discussion boards on each event and then each hot bout.
sammyb4
2/22/09 11:23:42PM
Yes, we breakdown all the fights ad nauseum on the camp forum for about two weeks leading up to every ML event. Both wagers and regular picks are discussed. It helps having some really knowledgeable people in your camp.
Pookie
2/22/09 11:39:34PM

Posted by sammyb4

Yes, we breakdown all the fights ad nauseum on the camp forum for about two weeks leading up to every ML event. Both wagers and regular picks are discussed. It helps having some really knowledgeable people in your camp.

The quality of who you discuss mma with regularly will dictate how well you can spot the flaws in your own theories. From my experience at least.

jiujitsufreak74
2/22/09 11:41:44PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by sammyb4

The quality of who you discuss mma with regularly will dictate how well you can spot the flaws in your own theories. From my experience at least.

i am going to third this, the more i discuss the picks with other MMA enthusiasts who know what they are talking about the better i do...plain and simple.
ncordless
2/22/09 11:43:27PM
I use a combination of the prophecies of Nostradamus, horoscopes and numerology, and reading the entrails of chickens.

Sometimes we talk about it in the camp a little, too.
Shawn91111
2/22/09 11:53:40PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Pookie

Posted by sammyb4

i am going to third this, the more i discuss the picks with other MMA enthusiasts who know what they are talking about the better i do...plain and simple.

What happened to your damn Youtube videos with Bowen on each event. You guys not doing it cost me points!! Being in the top 5 gives you the "im taking my ball and going home" syndrome
jiujitsufreak74
2/22/09 11:55:06PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Pookie

Posted by sammyb4

What happened to your damn Youtube videos with Bowen on each event. You guys not doing it cost me points!! Being in the top 5 gives you the "im taking my ball and going home" syndrome

hahaha well they were too long and dry for the majority of viewers and the ones who were watching it were getting a free look at my picks lol.
jakeiceman
2/22/09 11:55:30PM
My biggest problem is favoritism

I just hate picking against guys that I like. Its as if in some way my picking against them will disturb the natural flow of karma and cause them to lose, then I have to deal with knowing that it was my lack of faith that caused that losing mark on thier record.

Its very stressful
jiujitsufreak74
2/23/09 12:03:47AM

Posted by jakeiceman

I just hate picking against guys that I like. Its as if in some way my picking against them will disturb the natural flow of karma and cause them to lose, then I have to deal with knowing that it was my lack of faith that caused that losing mark on thier record.

Its very stressful

like better fighters and solve your problem
Pookie
2/23/09 12:27:07AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Its very stressful

War Aoki
ncordless
2/23/09 12:29:40AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Its very stressful

Either that or take it to the next level. If you are real a fan you would make sure your fav fighters win a fight. Things like food poisoning, late night prank calls, and the occasional false arrest can mean the difference between a sub .500 record and seeing all your fav. fighters return to glory.
Shawn91111
2/23/09 12:48:15AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Its very stressful

Now you know why you are below .500
jakeiceman
2/23/09 1:47:49AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by jakeiceman

Its very stressful

Either that or take it to the next level. If you are real a fan you would make sure your fav fighters win a fight. Things like food poisoning, late night prank calls, and the occasional false arrest can mean the difference between a sub .500 record and seeing all your fav. fighters return to glory.

Ha ha your right I am a crappy fan! No longer will I sit idle on the sideline

Just imagine UFC 97

Shogun walks down the isle, the music is bumpin, the lights are flashing when a disgustingly pale white kid from Idaho jumps out from the stands in nothing but a pink thong, he unleashes a frisbee that slices through the croud and becomes lodged in Shoguns right thigh. During the chaos the kid manages to get past security because no-one wants to wrestle the naked guy. All the while Joe Rogan is screaming "THATS IN DEEEEEEEP!!!"

jakeiceman
2/23/09 1:48:44AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jakeiceman

Its very stressful

War Aoki

Stretchy Pants' day will come!!!
ncordless
2/23/09 2:24:16AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by ncordless

Posted by jakeiceman

Its very stressful

Ha ha your right I am a crappy fan! No longer will I sit idle on the sideline

Just imagine UFC 97

Shogun walks down the isle, the music is bumpin, the lights are flashing when a disgustingly pale white kid from Idaho jumps out from the stands in nothing but a pink thong, he unleashes a frisbee that slices through the croud and becomes lodged in Shoguns right thigh. During the chaos the kid manages to get past security because no-one wants to wrestle the naked guy. All the while Joe Rogan is screaming "THATS IN DEEEEEEEP!!!"

There you go. That is the kind of fandom that produces results. The pink thong thing sounds a little "iffy" though. You could bring in a laser pointer and when Chuck and Shogun start exchanging you could shine it in Shogun's eye. I am pretty sure you would only have a few seconds window before security and the crowd took you out, so make sure you make it count.

(This is a Sarcasm Alert for those who are sociopathic)

Aaronno9
2/23/09 2:43:32AM
Ive done alot better this season than I have previously, so far anyways. I dont know if its just becouse the fights are easier or what, but I think just thinking harder about the fights and listening to what my camp mates have to say about the fights has improved my picking alot. Sometimes Ill still just go with my gut though, often loosing myself points.
jakeiceman
2/23/09 2:57:17AM

Posted by ncordless
There you go. That is the kind of fandom that produces results. The pink thong thing sounds a little "iffy" though. You could bring in a laser pointer and when Chuck and Shogun start exchanging you could shine it in Shogun's eye. I am pretty sure you would only have a few seconds window before security and the crowd took you out, so make sure you make it count.

(This is a Sarcasm Alert for those who are sociopathic)

Ha ha so yeah my idea was a little out there, I guess I was going for the shock approach while yours was a little more under the radar.

Anyway sorry for my stupidity guys I wont hijack the thread with my nonsense anymore.
zephead
2/23/09 12:58:04PM
I suck. I blow. I both blow and suck, but I don't swallow. This fantasy stuff is gay anyways.
jakeiceman
2/23/09 3:43:03PM

Posted by zephead

I suck. I blow. I both blow and suck, but I don't swallow. This fantasy stuff is gay anyways.

Whats your phone number?!

zephead
2/23/09 4:33:20PM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by zephead

867-5309.

jakeiceman
2/23/09 5:13:09PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by zephead

867-5309.

I called and this guy answered

zephead
2/23/09 6:25:54PM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by zephead

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by zephead

867-5309.

I called and this guy answered

It wasn't Jenny??
Solidus
2/23/09 8:01:30PM
I pick the guy I think is going to win. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt...
jakeiceman
2/23/09 9:11:36PM

Posted by zephead

It wasn't Jenny??

Unfortunately no, I asked for her but I guess she changed her number?

They always do that to me.