Picking out a mouthguard.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Picking out a mouthguard.
KeNn
2/5/08 6:23:16PM
Okay, So I witnessed something I didn't want to witness. While rolling today buddy had no mouth guard and ate one in the mouth. Thankfully no teeth were damaged, I'm very mouth concious I guess you can say "fem" I enjoy having my teeth.

I did however lose a tooth on the bottom row, I had to have a route cannel, now I have a poll style of tooth. It never falls out lol, but i feel i'm more venerable to getting it knocked out, now since it's on the bottom row of my teeth, I can't wear a single, I'll need a double.

So I was wondering what you guys prefer for a comfortable, high quality double mouthguard.

Now this probably sounds dumb, a thread over a mouthguard...But I would like some imput of which way to go, I also wouldn't mind spending 50-60$ on one.

BTW: I'm training BJJ, MT, Boxing, and MMA.
I'm not sure why it matters, but some people prefer to know.
Svartorm
2/6/08 1:51:47AM
Like I've told people before, spending $50-$60 on a mouthguard is a great investment, as it pales in comparison to having your teeth fixed.

I personally don't use double mouthguards as they're a bitch to breath through, and the odds of a bottom tooth getting knocked out are rather slim. For off the shelf mouthguards, I've never had a problem with the high end Shock Doctors. They're not overly complicated to boil and fit, and they hold up well. They make a double mouthguard for $50 thats supposed to be designed for martial arts, but I've never personally used one.
KeNn
2/6/08 7:02:36AM
So the Shock Doctors aren't bad eh?

If you say bottom teeth don't get knocked out as often I'll take your word for it, and just get the single, lol cause I have wore a double in boxing, but just the cheap kind and their so uncomfortable
atlas777
2/6/08 9:47:58AM
Shock Doctors are good i have one if you get the right one they will pay you money if your teeth get knocked out or damaged in a fight.
Svartorm
2/6/08 9:02:50PM

Posted by atlas777

Shock Doctors are good i have one if you get the right one they will pay you money if your teeth get knocked out or damaged in a fight.

Read the fine print on that. You have to be in a sanctioned event, and have a form signed by your dentist, the ref, and the commisioner stating that your mouthguard failed to protect you. The money they claim on the package is actually what you'd get if every single one of your teeth were knocked out, and payment goes by tooth. I think it works out to be $90 per tooth.

Lucky for them, their mouthguards work good.
Rush
2/7/08 11:36:02AM
I've never used them, but some of the double guards have a breathing hole. I don't know if it helps or not, but it is something to consider.

Mastodon2
2/7/08 1:49:59PM
Get a Shock Doctor upper and lower if you can, they offer the ultimate in protection, I wanted one, but could only find an upper jaw one, thankfully its rock solid and has saved my teeth weekly for months. Keep in mind if you get an upper and lower one, you wont be able to talk while its in your mouth.

Whichever one you go with, I'd go with shockdoctor. And yes, the "Money for your broken teeth if this shield fails" thing is BS a bit, but like Svartorm said, they work anyway so unless someone punches you bareknuckle square on the teeth you shouldnt have any damage to your dentistry.
Svartorm
2/8/08 2:06:02AM

Posted by Rush

I've never used them, but some of the double guards have a breathing hole. I don't know if it helps or not, but it is something to consider.

They tend to get clogged with mucous fairly easily, which is why I don't wear them, and opening your mouth wider to actually breath isn't an option because its a double.
Rush
2/8/08 9:18:11AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Rush

They tend to get clogged with mucous fairly easily, which is why I don't wear them, and opening your mouth wider to actually breath isn't an option because its a double.

Ok, good to know.
Salty
2/8/08 10:09:22AM
what do you guys think about the custom fit/molded mouth guards, anyone here have one? if so where did you get it, how does someone go about getting one and whats the cost of something like that?
Rush
2/8/08 10:53:38AM

Posted by Salty

what do you guys think about the custom fit/molded mouth guards, anyone here have one? if so where did you get it, how does someone go about getting one and whats the cost of something like that?

Sounds like something to ask your dentist. My guess is that they are the best, but also the most expensive.

I know fitted mouth guards for sleeping cost upwards to $300-500, so I would imagine other mouth guards will likely be similar.
Salty
2/8/08 12:16:58PM
Yea, my mom works at a dental office so she can do the moldings for free basically, and i know whoever makes it would need a molding in order to make it fit, so i would have that covered, i know that Joe Lauzon is sponsered by Star Guards who make custom ones but his web page has no info on it other then a link to a myspace page. I'll end up e-mailing him with questions i suppose
gcraig22
2/12/08 12:10:36AM
I have a double Shock Doctor that I use in my BJJ class. It has a hole but is difficult to breath through. It is okay for ground training, but I would recommend a single for MMA training.
KeNn
2/14/08 1:08:14PM
Alright cool guys, I'm not to worried about gettin hit.
Ya'll know i'm fast as lightning.

no seriously I just was worried about the bottom crown if u say a singles the way to go ill deffinately try a single.

Double's are very hard to breath threw and can be veryannoying.
The_Ho_Bag
2/16/08 12:08:31AM
personaly i use the shock doctor b/c

1: i have braces so i sue the dental one

2: they have a dental warranty 7,500- 12,500 dollars

and double are so bad i use to use a double;e never could breathe outta of it. im glad i got the shock doctor before my fight deff offer more protection on the jaw and other spots etc. doubles blow go w/ shock doctor
icedog11
2/28/08 6:44:05PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Salty

Sounds like something to ask your dentist. My guess is that they are the best, but also the most expensive.

I know fitted mouth guards for sleeping cost upwards to $300-500, so I would imagine other mouth guards will likely be similar.

www.customguards.com custom mouthguards starting at $50 used by all the IFL and alot of ufc fighters
tap_or_snap
3/3/08 1:07:09PM
For uk based people opro make decent mouth guards and they are decent value as well, well at least for a custom fit guard.

The custom fit service is also very efficient, basically they will send you out some resin stuff which you bite down on within a coulple of days of ordering, then you send your mold back to opro and you will have your custom fit guard in your hands within a week.

I use one myself, you will have to put up with the opro logo on the front so if you want an arlovski style one you will have to look else where. if anyone wants a pic of what they look like in the flesh i can post a pic of one just ask.
icedog11
3/17/08 5:39:34PM
You can get a Gladiator custom mouthguard for 50 - 75 dollars same quality as a dentist office guard. they have made guards for Joe Riggs. Chris leben josh Burkman. Benard Hopkins, and too many UfCc and WEC veterans to name here as well as the entire IFL
http://www.customguards.com
BlazinSaddle
3/18/08 3:33:38AM
i always spent the extra dollar to get shock doctor mouthguards (not sure if they make better ones) for muay thai and hockey, when fighting i prefer the ones with the breathing hole sliced thru the middle so you can have your mouth closed and breath
richieb19
3/18/08 12:53:59PM
How much does a dentist made mouth guard go for?
icedog11
3/18/08 2:06:23PM

Posted by richieb19

Why go to the dentist buy it from gladiator $50-$75 same product, dentist price $200 to $400
richieb19
3/18/08 2:43:12PM

Posted by icedog11

Posted by richieb19

Why go to the dentist buy it from gladiator $50-$75 same product, dentist price $200 to $400

Because the Gladiator doesn't take a bite impression?
icedog11
3/18/08 3:42:50PM

not sure what you mean. we send you the material to take your own impression, this is the same procedure as a dentist just without the dentist.

I should mention that I'm the president of Gladiator Mouthguards.
richieb19
3/18/08 3:51:38PM

Posted by icedog11

not sure what you mean. we send you the material to take your own impression, this is the same procedure as a dentist just without the dentist.

I should mention that I'm the president of Gladiator Mouthguards.

Yea I fugured.

In that case then I'm interested. How about a promotional mouthguard lol. If it's all good maybe we can hook up a sponsorship ad for you or somehting.

The_Ho_Bag
3/18/08 4:50:22PM
richie do u have braces?

go w/ the shockdoctor braces mouthguard i use that

u dont need to mold them they fit right in =] comfortable and pretty cheap and they prevent TMJ ( which is so annyoing)
richieb19
3/18/08 5:24:36PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

richie do u have braces?

go w/ the shockdoctor braces mouthguard i use that

u dont need to mold them they fit right in =] comfortable and pretty cheap and they prevent TMJ ( which is so annyoing)

nope, but my 2 front teeth are fake and they break like nothing.
The_Ho_Bag
3/18/08 6:09:19PM
hmmm idk i like shockdoctor its all in preference really, i hate doubles but some people like them.

shock doctor has 10-15k medical if u loose teeth (not saying you will) =]

i never used customs so idk how they are but id go w/ shock doctor =]
The-Don
5/6/08 9:31:27PM
Well This I think was an excellent question.

I personally never used mouth gaurds much... but I am kinda partial to a double I think it help you absorp the impact better and I have a Brainpad I think it is.. Has the mouth holes with a peice in the middle so you can't clench it closed... I have liked it so far.. it was fairly easy to fit to my mouth.. boil for like 30 seconds and bite...

Mouth gaurds I think are one of those issues where one that is right for one person may not be the best fit for another... just remember though your protecting your teeth so unless you want to look like an old time hockey player make sure you get a gaurd your comfortable with.
bigbubbano23
5/6/08 10:05:14PM
shock doctor will pay for your dentist repairs if something happens while your wearing thier guard. i read this on one of thier info booklets that come with the guard but i dont know how they would be able to do that
Svartorm
5/7/08 1:18:51AM
I think I already mentioned it in this thread, but read the fine print on that. You have to prove it occured in a sanctioned sporting event, and the insurance price, which varies depending on which one you buy, is what you'd get if every single tooth was knocked out of your mouth. I think mine, per tooth, worked out to be $90, which will basically get you a dentist appointment and nothing else.