Picking Fight Results - TKO/Submission

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Picking Fight Results - TKO/Submission
RNC
7/3/08 10:46:50PM
I don't know if this has ever been suggested before, but on top of picking TKO/submission, it would be nice if you could get extra points for picking one more specifically.

For example

TKO - standing
TKO - ground

Submission - leg
Submission -arm
Submission - choke

Thoughts?

jae_1833
7/3/08 11:10:59PM
That's how the fantasy league does it on UFC.com.....try it out.
Rush
7/3/08 11:14:21PM
I find it hard enough to get the points as they are now. lol

No thanks

RNC
7/3/08 11:41:18PM
I wasn't saying it as a replacement for the points now, but more as an extra, just like if you pick all three catagories right.
bobbydoomocculta
7/3/08 11:46:04PM
I like it
holt8081
7/4/08 12:00:30AM
Ya thats way to much.
Twenty20Dollars
7/4/08 12:09:16AM
yeah i can barely gets points as it is. but picking the specific way it was won would be too hard, which is why i hardly do the ufc.com one.
RNC
7/4/08 12:46:26AM
It only would be an extra category, a BONUS category, not a replacement.

The simple tko/submission would still be there, there would just be another box at the end allowing for more points if picked right.
telnights
7/4/08 5:06:46AM
I like the way the have it here now. When you get to in depth it makes choosing a decision win better odds than anything else. Which means the guy that's chooses all fights to end in UD is more likely to get more right than the guy that chose a bunch of other stuff like sub arm bar or sub choke. So even if they both called who will win right the guy that took the easy road and chose all UDs is more likely to have more points in the end.
tap_or_snap
7/4/08 7:59:30AM
This has been suggested b4 and gets shot down just the same way any other "suggestion" does on here... the ufc game does as you suggest and i like it for it however the ufc game also gives points for a correct method, rnd and minute pick even if the guy you picked to win loses which i dont like (wouldn't mind if you got to make a method and rnd pick (screw the minute pick) for each fighter as well a seperate winner pick, though i've suggested a system like that for here b4 and that got well and truely shot down by the fanboys) combined with its other failings (minute picks!? okay only worth one point but you wont get the +15 without it) all amounts to the ufc game being broken so even if you like the idea of more detailed picks its unlikely you will be satisfied with the ufc game.
CornishMMA
7/4/08 8:24:02AM
some playground members seriously fear change, they may also think the sky is falling

as with most of the suggestions on here YES that is a good idea and a good way for the site to evolve but NO it wont happen

HOW on earth could it make the game any worse? if its harder thats good, seperates the men from the boys

Posted by telnights

I like the way the have it here now. When you get to in depth it makes choosing a decision win better odds than anything else. Which means the guy that's chooses all fights to end in UD is more likely to get more right than the guy that chose a bunch of other stuff like sub arm bar or sub choke. So even if they both called who will win right the guy that took the easy road and chose all UDs is more likely to have more points in the end.

Stuff like this can be fixed, i dont know why ppl see problems but not solutions? its quite simple in this case as you would get LESS point for a perfect decision pick than you would for a perfect armbar rd2 pick etc
hippysmacker
7/4/08 8:55:37AM

Posted by Rush

I find it hard enough to get the points as they are now. lol

No thanks

I agree. I didn't like the UFC game for that reason, and the idea that guessing the minute of a round was more than blind luck 90% of the time. Not in my book.
CornishMMA
7/4/08 10:10:15AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree. I didn't like the UFC game for that reason, and the idea that guessing the minute of a round was more than blind luck 90% of the time. Not in my book.

Yes that was crap and made no sense and like telnights said made picking decisions the best way to go, but nobody was suggesting we have minutes included?!? just 3 options for each sub (leg,arm,choke) and ko (GnP, standing, cut), it would divide the points up even more and make the more informed pickers do better

That way getting a perfect pick for a harder pick (stoppage) is worth more than the easier picks (decisions) which at the mo both get 11 points, the way i would do it is have another 2 points for those thing i listed before
tap_or_snap
7/4/08 11:59:22AM
Obviously there would need to be more than just leg, arm & choke for submissions, add an "other" catagory for neck cranks, the elusive twister and odd stuff like tapping due to a tight body triangle or fatigue etc, and a sub due to strikes as well.

Also if stuff like this does get implemented (which it wont) i'd like to see the everything right bonuses removed, the whole point of making things more detailed is that you get a few (key word there) extra points for being exactly correct, adding an everything right bonus when you already just got more points than most is overkill imo, its like the ufc game where someone who gets the correct winner, rnd and (exact) method gets 27pts but someone who gets the right minute as well gets 43.

The standing/ground thing is a bit dodge as well, what happens when anderson ko's someone with a big knee off the shot and from the replay its clear the ko'ed fighter had a knee in contact with the floor when he went to sleep? Is that ground or standing?
RNC
7/5/08 1:54:29AM

Posted by CornishMMA

That way getting a perfect pick for a harder pick (stoppage) is worth more than the easier picks (decisions) which at the mo both get 11 points, the way i would do it is have another 2 points for those thing i listed before

Exactly. It would be like another +2, and if agreed upon some appropriate bonus could be worked on. I am not saying replace the original box, but simply add a new one giving you a chance to pick more specifically and earn more points.

Ex:

Winner: Joe Stevenson
Round: 2
Ending details: submission
(BONUS) Method: choke

If I know Stevenson loves guillotines and feel he is probably going to choke his opponent out, it makes sense I get more points than someone who picks leg lock.

If you got the submission part right but not the bonus, nothing would be taken away from you.

Posted by tap_or_snap

Obviously there would need to be more than just leg, arm & choke for submissions, add an "other" catagory for neck cranks, the elusive twister and odd stuff like tapping due to a tight body triangle or fatigue etc, and a sub due to strikes as well.

If adding an "other" catagory would make you guys happy I am perfectly fine with that. I do agree it would solve any problems of submissions that fall into odd catagories.

Posted by tap_or_snap

The standing/ground thing is a bit dodge as well, what happens when anderson ko's someone with a big knee off the shot and from the replay its clear the ko'ed fighter had a knee in contact with the floor when he went to sleep? Is that ground or standing?

With the KO/TKO deal, if the fight was stopped while they were on their feet, with the final blows being delivered on the feet, such as Silva vs Franklin, that would be Standing. If the fight was stopped while they were on the ground, with the final blows being delivered on the ground, such as Rampage vs Liddell II, that would be Ground. Its as simple as that. Where ever the last blow takes place before the fight is stopped, that is where the KO/TKO took place.

Also, I was not familiar with the UFC fantasy league prior to this suggestion, and am not trying to copy them in anyway. I thought of this on my own and only shared it because I thought it could improve the site providing a nice way earn more points for picking more acurately and indepth. After checking out the UFC league, I don't like the minute pick stuff either, and agree that it is over kill. Adding this simple extra box won't turn it into the UFC league, so for everybody bringing it up, there is no need to use it as a comparison.

So once again, it will NOT make the picking any harder. It will only provide the chance to be rewarded for picking more indepth.
CornishMMA
7/5/08 10:48:53AM
yes thats a good idea, so make it 4 options each with OTHER for subs (along with armlock, leglock, choke) and maybe Drop 'n' Stop as the 4th for KO/TKO, thats where they arent KO'd but just dropped then stopped (ie- Rampage over Chuck), but standing would be a KO or finish from standing with no follow up strikes on the ground (ie- Silva over Franklin 1), and GnP which is obvious (Rashad over Lambert), finally CUT/DQ which are really hard to call but need including

If this is hard for ppl to understand and work with then im amazed they can even make click and select picks in the 1st place, or not die when they cross the street

These things would mean picking decisions is less benefical with the perfect pick bonus and just more knowledge is needed to get more points
RNC
7/5/08 3:13:46PM
Yup.