Anyone picking Alves?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anyone picking Alves?
Next Page »
chickmagnet
3/20/09 10:59:50PM
Am I one of the only ones?? I really think Alves will take this, he is the biggest and best striker gsp has faced. Anyone else picking Alves?
The_Ho_Bag
3/20/09 11:03:24PM
Alves RD 2 TKO via flying knee =) War ATT
king_katool
3/20/09 11:28:25PM
GSP biggest weakness isnt striking, its his mental state and IMO he's got his head on right... GSP GnP TKO RD 3
Twenty20Dollars
3/20/09 11:52:14PM
I think I'll prolly pick Alves.
EvenFlow
3/21/09 1:15:23AM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

I thought I was the first to predict that, I have that exact same pick. To be honest I'm glad Thiago is the underdog, he shouldnt be and I'm confused by that but the GSP nuthuggers will hug away and hate/discount everyone he fights out.
king_katool
3/21/09 1:28:51AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

I thought I was the first to predict that, I have that exact same pick. To be honest I'm glad Thiago is the underdog, he shouldnt be and I'm confused by that but the GSP nuthuggers will hug away and hate/discount everyone he fights out.

thiago should not be an underdog, he is by far GSP biggest challenge so far and if he doest come in at his absolute best then i wouldnt be surprised if alves KO'd if with a flying knee
Tein_Lung
3/21/09 1:49:30AM
GSP IMO will out Strike him... because thats what GSP does... he uses what you are best at to beat you...

Hughes.. wrestler... beat him with wrestling...

Kos said to be the best wrestler in the WW div and GSP made him look like a high school freshman...

Alves... kicks people in the legs and strikes... GSP stands up and beats him on the feet (i can see the future)
Boo_Radley21
3/21/09 1:52:18AM
No I am not picking Alves. GSP will tool him.
seanfu
3/21/09 2:54:07AM
GSP by reach and 90+ percent takedown percentage. Plus after Serra, yes he is still iffy on the standup. He will keep his distance with the inner thigh kick and circle, then boom takedown, considerable punishment, rinse and repeat.

There's no way GSP stands in this fight. The only reason he SMASHES people at what they're good at is because he had ONE fight with Josh Koscheck and outwrestled him. (wrestling) He sprawl and brawled Hughes in the second fight and Fitch. He outwrestled BJ twice (slippy slippy ) and did not sub him,

Because everybody is looking past Alves directly to Anderson I kind of want to see an upset, and Alves is probably the best style to pull it off. But Gsp will Anderson Silva circle, get the timing, and get takedowns all night due to the timing.

People will be stunned at how easy GSP makes the takedowns look. And I'm no GSP nuthugger.
prozacnation1978
3/21/09 3:09:47AM
i have alves if this guy doesn't beat gsp no one will

he just went through 3 top 10 welterweights and make it look easy

i think knees and nasty kicks will do it
Pskinner_mma314
3/21/09 3:35:01AM
everyone i talk to wonders why i think this will be a suprising....maybe great....but suprising fight.

the point that i bring is......how many GREAT strikers has GSP fought............................................................................................................................................................................

hmm.....

Hughes-wrestler
Serra-BJJ
Fitch-wrestler
Koscheck-wrestler
Trigg-wrestler
Penn-BJJ

I love GSp, I think he is one of the best the world will ever see.

But ppl are sayin he is the best all around fighter right now.................................................

ok he has good striking...................but against WHO that has good striking,

I'm still takin GSP in this fight, but I wouldn't be suprised with a Alves TKO
tmas
3/21/09 8:41:08AM
isnt everyone pickin ALves? from what i saw posint wise everyone likes Alves in this fight.
Boo_Radley21
3/21/09 9:42:58AM

Posted by tmas

isnt everyone pickin ALves? from what i saw posint wise everyone likes Alves in this fight.

I can't see why.
mrkennedy
3/21/09 9:50:00AM
nope gsp by domination easy ud
emfleek
3/21/09 9:52:45AM
Some of you will never learn.

GSP dominates and ends the fight in Round 2.
mrkennedy
3/21/09 9:57:05AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

everyone i talk to wonders why i think this will be a suprising....maybe great....but suprising fight.

the point that i bring is......how many GREAT strikers has GSP fought............................................................................................................................................................................

hmm.....

Hughes-wrestler
Serra-BJJ
Fitch-wrestler
Koscheck-wrestler
Trigg-wrestler
Penn-BJJ

I love GSp, I think he is one of the best the world will ever see.

But ppl are sayin he is the best all around fighter right now.................................................

ok he has good striking...................but against WHO that has good striking,

I'm still takin GSP in this fight, but I wouldn't be suprised with a Alves TKO

actualy there not a lot of pure striker in the ufc welterweight division alves is maby the only

and b.j Penn is a very good boxer he outclass striker
Wallass
3/21/09 10:25:58AM
I believe GSP takes this. Alves is a definite threat but I compare this to GSP vs Hughes 1. Alves respects GSP a lot and may not walk in with the same confidence he has had in the past. Besides he looked a little nervous after Penn vs GSP. GSP takes it just not sure how and with a loss Thiago destroys everyone from Johnson to Fitch and wins the title the second time he fight for it.
State_Champ
3/21/09 11:46:42AM
GSP is a freakin' steamroller right now, I can't see Alves winning this (but I wouldn't be too upset if he somehow did.)
jocka
3/21/09 12:11:18PM
GSP is gonna do what GSP does best, take him down and pound him out plus he is going to make it look easy.
cmill21
3/21/09 2:05:37PM
I hope GSP loses, he gets on my nerves with the sports center bs thats always on.
Khaos
3/21/09 2:06:55PM
I think Alves will win because he's the better striker and has good td defense, and for the fact that I can't stand GSP.
ocho-cinco
3/21/09 2:29:52PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

I don't hate or discount everyone he fights. I think Alves is a very very dangerous opponent. But the fact is, GSP is an amazing fighter.... He has beaten everyone he has ever faced.
Tein_Lung
3/21/09 2:36:02PM
it does not matter how good Alves TD defense is he will not stop GSP from taking him down... no-one has ever stoped GSP from taking them down and no-one is ever going to..
papercut
3/21/09 3:15:22PM
I'm not picking Alves but I'm not confident with my pick of GSP. I wouldn't be suprised if Alves pulls it out. I'll probably put a little money on Alves just in case.
Franklinfan47
3/21/09 4:05:24PM

Posted by emfleek

Some of you will never learn.

GSP dominates and ends the fight in Round 2.

Correct.

But Alves will always have a puncher's chance, which makes me worried in this fight.
cmill21
3/21/09 4:36:13PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

it does not matter how good Alves TD defense is he will not stop GSP from taking him down... no-one has ever stoped GSP from taking them down and no-one is ever going to..

I remember when I thought his about Hunt being KO'd....ohh how wrong we can be.
chickmagnet
3/21/09 4:51:38PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Tein_Lung

I remember when I thought his about Hunt being KO'd....ohh how wrong we can be.

haha exactly
Mayhem13
3/21/09 9:59:25PM
War thiagos beautifully timed knee in st. pierres face in the 2nd as he shoots in!!!

And war att!!
GSPVSSILVA
3/22/09 1:04:44AM
I'm pretty sure GSP is well aware of Alves's knees and kicks and striking ability and i'm pretty sure GSP will be having non of that. I see GSP ground and pounds him out in round 2.

I think Alves will win because he's the better striker and has good td defense
I don't think having good take down defense will stop GSP from taking your ass down.
bls1919
3/22/09 9:34:57PM
I'm on the fence about this one still. I cant pick. I waqnt Alves to win and thi8nk he can do it .....standing. but GSP is looking a bit too much like a freight train these days to pick against him.
Pages: [1] 2