Pick the upset.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Pick the upset.
POLL: Which fighter has the better chance?
Brendan Schaub 0% (0)
Lyoto Machia 24% (5)
Yushin Okami 24% (5)
Carlos Condit 10% (2)
Melvin Guillard 33% (7)
Chad Mendes 10% (2)
FastKnockout
4/9/11 4:04:51PM
Which underdog has the best chance at the upset out of the following?

Brendan Schaub over Cain Valesquez

Lyoto Machida over Jon Jones

Yushin Okami over Anderson Silva

Carlos Condit over George St. Pierre

Melvin Guillard over Frankie Edgar

Chad Mendes over Jose Aldo
Budgellism
4/9/11 4:47:23PM
In my opinion it's a very tough choice between Machida and Mendes. I've said it a few times on here before, I think Machida would have an excellent chance of upsetting Jones. He has great takedown defense, he's insanely elusive and he has excellent striking with solid punching power.

Mendes is an excellent wrestler and a he hasn't exactly been tested yet. If Sonnen vs. Silva has taught us anything it's that wrestling can be the kryptonite to these well rounded Brazilians. I wouldn't exactly hold my breathe but there is definitely a good chance.

I ultimately went with Machida.
TS92turbo
4/9/11 5:27:45PM
Guillard by explosion.
kopower
4/9/11 6:59:54PM
I was thinking either Machida or Guillard. Melvin's best chance would be to ko Frankie in the first few rounds, but I think Machida would have the best overall chance of the upset.
kingsmasher
4/9/11 9:34:53PM
Machida no way...He has takedown defense against people who really arent wrestlers...and dont say Tito...
Twenty20Dollars
4/9/11 11:12:34PM
Guillard with that power and speed would take out Edgar.
Budgellism
4/10/11 12:55:01AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Machida no way...He has takedown defense against people who really arent wrestlers...and dont say Tito...

Do you wrestle by any chance?
Theoutlaw08
4/11/11 10:39:53AM
Guillard would destroy Frankie.

Machida wouldn't have a chance against Jones.
KTFOd
4/14/11 12:25:49PM
I'm going to have to go with Machida over Jones. I've said it many times, I think Machida has the best chance @ 205 to defeat Jones.
Pookie
4/14/11 5:12:50PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Guillard would destroy Frankie.

Machida wouldn't have a chance against Jones.

I disagree on both counts. Guillard gets frustrated by range, and Frankie edgar has more reach than Rampage. Plus, Machida defends takedowns far better in the clinch than he does double legs, and thats really been shown to be Jones' bread and butter.

Stylistically, every one of those 4 fighters has a chance. But none of them are locks.