Why did they pick a strange main even for the Fight Night

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why did they pick a strange main even for the Fight Night
POLL: What do you think the main event should be
Nate Neer 41% (26)
Guida Danzig 59% (38)
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 4:32:55PM
I understand wanting to showcase Nate Diaz. He is a guy people will tune into to see lose or win. But I would not have him headlining this card. First all of all, he is the most underserving winner of TUF ever. Manny was dominating and his shoulder popped. This was not a injury that Nate caused, this was a prexisting injury, and it popped with Manny in dominant position as he was the whole fight. I honestly consider Manny the true winner of that season. I would have had Nate as a co maineventer. But it should have gone too Mac and Clay. They are just as well known, and Nate while talented is nowhere in the world top 20 lightweights. No how no way. Whereas these guys are both slam dunk top 20 lightweights in the world, and the winner is close to cracking the top 10. They both have more quality wins and higher level of fights. This does not make any sense to me. Even if Nate beats Neer so what. Hes beating a guy who I thought would not even make it back to the ufc at this time.
three_days_of_grey
9/7/08 4:46:11PM

First all of all, he is the most underserving winner of TUF ever. Manny was dominating and his shoulder popped. This was not a injury that Nate caused, this was a prexisting injury, and it popped with Manny in dominant position as he was the whole fight. I honestly consider Manny the true winner of that season. I would have had Nate as a co maineventer.

Then le'ts make Rob Emerson the true TUF winner since he knocked Manny back to before TUF was even filmed, give Tim Sylvia his belt back b/c he was injured fighting Couture, give Rua the win over Griffin, strip Griffin of the belt and give it back to Rampage since Rua should have faced Rampage instead. Let's also say that Big Nog is the most undeserving interim champ of UFC ever b/c he was thoroughly getting spanked by Silvia before slapping on a submission.
There is absolutely NO WAY you can say Manny would have won the Diaz fight due to the way that Nate fights. Did you watch the Pellegrino fight where Kurt had him locked in a crucifix (more dominant than any position Manny had) and was pounding away on his face? What did Diaz do? Only came back to slip a sick triangle on him. That is how both the Diaz Brothers fight and it's not exactly a secret.

-OUT-

One more thing: I will be looking to join a new fight camp asap. Contact me if interested. I would prefer a camp around my area, but that's not iron-clad.
nickcuc547
9/7/08 4:46:38PM
i think guida vs. danzig will be the better fight and should have been the main event. but I can see their reasoning because guida already lost in a main event fight against huerta and diaz hasn't got a main event fight yet. both fights should be good though, but danzig vs. guida is more appealing to me.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 4:54:22PM
What you did was make an assumption. Your saying cause Nate came back against Kurt he would have against Manny. And fighting with a injured back, compared to your shoulder actually popping out is totally different. In Sylvia's case, the injured back did not prevent him from still going out there and fighting. But when your shoulder pop's out, you cant do anything. Totally differnt kind of injury set. And with the way Manny was dominating him, he was taking that. And the Huerta fight was an incredible fight, I still dont see what Nate has done to deserve main event status. Especially when another TUF winner, with better credential, Mac Danzig, and much more complete as a fighter is going against a fan favorite who always brings it, its a clear decision I think Guida Danzig is the true fight.
KYGUY07
9/7/08 4:56:46PM
you cant call many the true TUF winner, he got hurt and he lost period. end of story, and nate has become a great fighter since his time on TUF, plus manny just got k.o.d in 12 secs. nate is the true TUF champion and he deserves to headline the card.
nickcuc547
9/7/08 5:02:39PM
i kind of thought nate's win over manny was watered down until he fought pellegrino. that guy can take a beating and I don't know who would have won that fight if manny didn't get hurt. I do have to say that they need to fight again but it doesn't look like it's going to happen for a while because manny just suffered a huge set back.
SpiderSilva
9/7/08 5:37:10PM
ah hell lets just call is a co-main event and get over it I mean who cares about who is in the main event cause you are going to see the fight you want anyway so to me a main event is over rated as long as you still get to see the fight
MALICE
9/7/08 6:05:56PM

Posted by PrinceofTranceGlobal

What you did was make an assumption. Your saying cause Nate came back against Kurt he would have against Manny. And fighting with a injured back, compared to your shoulder actually popping out is totally different. In Sylvia's case, the injured back did not prevent him from still going out there and fighting. But when your shoulder pop's out, you cant do anything. Totally differnt kind of injury set. And with the way Manny was dominating him, he was taking that.

What exactly do you think you are doing then? You are ASSumming if the fight would have continued, that Manny would have been the victor. Any fight can change in an instant. Manny's injury was unfortunate, but the outcome was still fair.

If this, If that. Gets you nowhere.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 6:14:17PM
The point I was making was fighting injured is one thing. Your shoulder popping out, a prexisting injury which had nothing to do with Nate, is another thing.

And yeah Nate won the TUF, but so did Mac Danzig. And he has a much better body of work. So right there he gets the nod over Nate. And look at the opponent they are fighting. If Guida was fighting Nate that's one thing, but Nate is fighting a guy who at this point, is a C level UFC fighter. Whereas with Mac and Clay, its two A level fighters. So how do a B, or maybe A fighter going against a C fighter, have more mainevent status than two A listers going at it? Dont make sense, cause even if Nate wins against a guy he is expected too what did he prove. And people who back Nate say he won TUF, well he won it in the most unfair way you can, and Mac won it clearly and is fighting a better opponent.
copcopps
9/7/08 6:52:08PM
Guida vs. Danzig, both IMO are better fighters and better known
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 7:13:03PM

Posted by copcopps

Guida vs. Danzig, both IMO are better fighters and better known

Well mentioned.
FrankTheTank1181
9/7/08 8:42:25PM
Diaz should work Neer, Guida/Danzig will be a way better fight.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/9/08 11:54:39AM
maybe its jsut me & im fine w/ it if it is, but the more people hate nate diaz for stupid shit like this, the more i like him
pv3Hpv3p
9/9/08 3:30:08PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

maybe its jsut me & im fine w/ it if it is, but the more people hate nate diaz for stupid shit like this, the more i like him

I'm with you
emfleek
9/9/08 3:33:05PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Ditto.
mrkennedy
9/9/08 5:27:55PM
guida style is so exiting i realy dont understand why he is not in the main event
slapshot
9/11/08 1:31:34AM
Mac has lost to every good fighter he's faced and Nate beat Kurt Pellegrino who beat Mac Danzig and Diaz has a winning record, is undefeated in the UFC AND won tuff first. MMA math is bad for predicting fights but who knows maybe thats why its not a co-event, N/E way..

Guida is one hell of a gatekeeper, I love the way he fights but he still has lost a lot of fights as of late, Ill take him over Mac in this one. Co-main event works for me but I see why they made Diaz the main event.
Biggz
9/11/08 1:50:29AM
who the hell really cares which fight is the main event!? you get to see the fight no matter what, i honestly would not have cared if they had two 90 year old grampas fighting for the "main event" in UFC 88 because i still got to WATCH the Liddell, Franklin, and Hendo fight. isn't that the point? it really doesn't matter.
next, i for one would LOVE to see a Diaz vs. Danzig fight. and i think if they both win, that might be a very good possibility, it would also make a good ppv or marketing, put Diaz vs Danzig on the Evans Vs Griffin card. Call it something like "Battle of the TUFS" but i really want to see Danzig vs Diaz and its a fight that actually makes sense
Pookie
9/11/08 2:33:31AM

Posted by PrinceofTranceGlobal

And yeah Nate won the TUF, but so did Mac Danzig. And he has a much better body of work. So right there he gets the nod over Nate. And look at the opponent they are fighting.

These are all of the fights from either fighter from when they fought someone UFC Calibre

Nate : Alvin Robinson(W), Kurt Pellegrino(W), Manvel(W), Franca(L)

Danzig: Kurt Pellegrino(L), Jason Von Flue(Draw), Clay French(L), Sakurai(L) Speer(W)

Look at who they are losing to.

Diaz is much more accomplished IMO in half as many fights.
fonduktoe
9/11/08 4:03:27AM
just started perusing this thread and i see alot of posters saying josh neer is a c level fighter
he has wins over joe stevenson, din thomas, and melvin guillard
he's tough as nails and should be given some respect
kris_ericson
9/14/08 1:08:34PM
guida/danzig because honestly i have never heard of the other guys
jawbreaker517
9/14/08 6:48:38PM
I thought Neer was history. A few months back, I saw him fight a nobody and he got KO'd in 2 minutes.