Your pick for next dominant Light Heavyweight Champion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Your pick for next dominant Light Heavyweight Champion
POLL: Your pick for next dominant Light Heavyweight Champion
Rampage Jackson 13% (8)
Rashad Evans 21% (13)
Lyoto Machida 35% (22)
Anderson Silva 2% (1)
Shogun Rua 24% (15)
Young gun/ other 6% (4)
seanfu
1/12/09 9:28:12PM
Not asking who will be next champ, but instead next dominant champ.

Our opinions differ on the meaning of dominance but with the division stacked with the best from 205 and 185 it's a tough thing to guess who might be the man in a year or two.

What is your guess?

My early favorite is Lyoto Machida, I don't think Rampage or Shogun could touch him, but Rashad (hate if you want) is a guy who might be able to. Other than that (cuz Anderson won't fight him) there aren't a ton of guys who could beat that hit and run style.

Anderson might not be sticking around long enough to be a dominant champ if he gets the title.

Rampage is a guy who can whoop anyone who decides to fight with him, but I don't see him beating Anderson, Shogun, Lyoto, or Evans. The Wanderlei fight was a 50 50 toss up. The guy who was lucky enough to land a clean shot or two in succession was gonna win. Rampage could've been cleaned out just as harshly, so, that, and a hatred of using his wrestling have me thinking he won't be the guy with the title for long, even if he wins.

It's crazy.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/12/09 9:34:39PM
machida with my next pick being shogun.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
1/12/09 9:40:47PM
I don't see why people are thinking Shogun after what Forrest did. Rampage is my pick.

Unless Randy drops down again.
EvenFlow
1/12/09 9:44:45PM
Rampage - I dont think so.
Lyoto - It's possible.
Shogun - Will be judged on the 16th.
Banha Cane - Potential to do so.
The Spider - Maybe, 205 is a different beast.
Rashad - I dont think so.
cowcatcher
1/12/09 9:47:06PM

Posted by Bobby-B-Bonkers

I don't see why people are thinking Shogun after what Forrest did. Rampage is my pick.

Unless Randy drops down again.

shogun loses one fight and you completely write him off but you mention a guy that has lost half of his last 12 fights???
tuvok500
1/12/09 10:09:26PM
I see Rashad beating everybody on that list even A.Silva.

Beating Forrest doesn't seem to be impressive enough to get respect but when he will beat Rampage peoples gonna have to wake up even if it is a non sense because Forrest did beat Rampage not so long ago.

As for Shogun, no way this guy gonna beat any young top contender, of course i am picking him to win at UFC 93 but he is not facing a young gun.

aaa9erh8er
1/12/09 10:13:32PM
hmmm gonna GO WITH SHOGUN HERE a;tho with how diverse the div is right now i realy dont see any one dominating any time soon i dont think we will have a 2 or more champ agian for a while
bojangalz
1/12/09 10:14:28PM
I think that IF Machida can get the belt he can hold it for a long time. But I'm not sure how easy that's going to be for him. It seems to me that his game is to sit and wait for the right moment.

If you want a belt, you have to go and take it from the champ. If a champ waits him out I'm not sure if it'll take him out of his element.

With that said: If (when) he does get the belt everyone who he faces will have to go after him to take it away. That plays right into his hands. I think once he's got the belt, he probably won't let go for a while.
Twenty20Dollars
1/12/09 10:14:30PM
What do we think is dominant? I think it would be like 3-4 title defenses but I dont think anyone can pull that off.
Pookie
1/12/09 10:20:26PM
Machida has the most Potential to do so, but it really depends on the match-ups being made.

I think Shogun is the guy with the best chance at beating machida but, i think its going to be awhile before he gets a title shot.
seanfu
1/12/09 10:40:25PM

Posted by Pookie

Machida has the most Potential to do so, but it really depends on the match-ups being made.

I think Shogun is the guy with the best chance at beating machida but, i think its going to be awhile before he gets a title shot.

I wouldn't underestimate the power of good marketing.
lol I can see the PPV add now.

"Shogun Rua, the man who destroyed a hall of famer (Coleman) and layed a vicious knockout to Rampage Jackson!!!"
breakdown5
1/12/09 10:54:17PM
I picked Machida. He's a tough fight for anyone in the weight class. If/when he gets his title shot, I think he'll probably win and hold the belt for at least a few defenses.

With that said, I would've picked Shogun, but only if it's the aggressive Pride version of Shogun. We'll have to see how his next couple fights go. I'm hoping that he's fully healed from his injuries and ready to destroy people once again.
copcopps
1/12/09 10:56:52PM
Houston Alexander!!!!

Seriously Cane or Machida
Hendo67
1/13/09 12:48:42PM
I see Machida being dominant, also Shogun as well.

The rest i can see being decent, but not holding the belt as long as either of the two listed above.
MMAcca
1/13/09 1:31:12PM
Machida/Rampage

I believe that these are the two best LHWs and will be the only ones capable of beating each other.....
ohiostate1016
1/13/09 2:56:54PM
Why has nobody mentioned Forrest Griffin? Sure, it's going to take him awhile to get back to the top of the mountain, but he could be in a position when he comes back from injury where he only needs 1 or 2 wins to get another shot at the title (hopefully some of the LHW picture will be cleared up by then).

I honestly see them giving him somebody like Cane when he comes back, with the winner getting a shot at the title (hopefully Rampage will have already had his title shot by then, and Machida will be waiting in the wing).

telnights
1/13/09 4:40:11PM
Lyoto Machida because no one has even come close to beating him at LHW. He hasn't even been in a fight I would say was close. He has walked over everyone he has fought and I don't see that changing any time soon. Like Rashad lost to Tito even though it was a tie Tito still won that fight. Rashad also almost lost to Hoger and Bisping. I think Hoger won their fight but that's just me. Shogun is a good fighter but I feel he is a little over rated and hasn't fought in over a year. I'm not sure if we will ever see the Shogun of Pride. Jackson has some holes in his game that were shown in the Forrest fight. Silva wont fight Machida but I think he could also be a good choice but I really think he would turn down a fight for the tittle at LHW because he truly feels Machida should be the one fighting for it.
State_Champ
1/15/09 12:58:24PM
Unfortunately for me, I think that Rashad will hold the belt for a while.
casey64
1/15/09 1:04:15PM
I would like tosee Rashad be a dominant champion, but with his next opponent I dont know.
haggiswashere
1/15/09 3:43:54PM
Rampage will be again
Naturaldisaster
1/16/09 12:56:20AM
I think Rashad will keep if for quite a while.
RNC
1/16/09 1:45:49AM
I think that Rampage will beat Rashad, take the title, and defend his title two times until he fights Anderson Silva in December, of which will be Silva's last fight in the UFC. Anderson Silva wins, becomes the first person in the UFC to hold two belts at once, and retires a legend.

"Undisputed Light Heavyweight king, Rampage Jackson, unbeaten in his last four fights, goes against the best pound for pound fighter in the world, Anderson Silva, in a clash of champions at the most heavily stacked weight class in the UFC."

Another GSP/Penn II, except this time it’s at 205, and the best pound for pound fighter in the world is moving up in weight to challenge the most dominant LHW champion the UFC has seen in a long time for his belt. Man, this thing will sell like crazy. I guarantee if Silva stays unbeaten and Rampage repeatedly defends the belt, Dana will make it happen, 100%.
Boo_Radley21
1/16/09 11:45:56AM
Gotta go with Rampage on this one.