Phil Baroni signs with the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Phil Baroni signs with the UFC
POLL: Should Phil Baroni be welcomed back to the UFC?
Yes 39% (24)
No 61% (37)
xphycorx
8/14/09 1:58:41PM
It's official: Phil Baroni, a shameless (and effective) self-promoter who's better known as "The New York Bad Ass," is returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

On Thursday the 33-year-old fighter signed a new multi-fight deal with the UFC and is heading to the organization's welterweight division.

linky link
xphycorx
8/14/09 1:59:48PM
i just don't get it.
TimW001
8/14/09 1:59:58PM

Lets see him fight Thiago Alves please.
DCRage
8/14/09 2:05:47PM
Simple. Not on bad terms with Dana, thinks he can still fight, sure can hype a fight, can still put butts in seats.
SmileR
8/14/09 2:06:31PM
WTF?!!?
Mayhem13
8/14/09 2:07:24PM
His record isn't great, but look at who he has fought? He doesn't back down from a fight and has some big wins under his belt.

Since dropping to WW he has looked better, and he put together a nice string of wins before losing to Riggs.

I have no problem with this move.

Now bring on Matt Brown at UFC 106!
breakdown5
8/14/09 2:24:12PM
I think its a good thing. He's a pretty entertaining fighter to watch and has been looking pretty good since his move to WW.

Baroni vs. Semtex anyone....
Wallass
8/14/09 2:25:46PM
I knew this would happen as soon as I saw Leites and McCrory are back. I knew Dana wouldnt bring back Phil if he let them go. This has DISASTER written all over it. Phil is gonna need to be fed someone or hes done. He will not, I repeat will not beat ANYONE...... Unless the UFC resigns Drago!
D0wnUnd6e6r
8/14/09 2:58:51PM

Posted by Wallass

I knew this would happen as soon as I saw Leites and McCrory are back. I knew Dana wouldnt bring back Phil if he let them go. This has DISASTER written all over it. Phil is gonna need to be fed someone or hes done. He will not, I repeat will not beat ANYONE...... Unless the UFC resigns Drago!

couldn't agree more with you on that
Aaronno9
8/14/09 3:04:43PM
Two fights and he'll be back on his bike looking for a new Org to fight in. No way he picks up any wins unless the UFC hand picks his fights to try and build him up. Wouldnt mind seeing him go up against Mcrory if he wasnt moving up to MW, I think hed get schooled.
seanfu
8/14/09 3:43:49PM
I don't know what the status is in NY as far as legalization but Baroni is a one man promotion machine and if fed a few guys could be hyped for a big fight on a NY card.

But like everyone else, WTF?
xdanish020
8/14/09 4:06:34PM
Not too excited to see Baroni back, I know he's a big name and all but he's just not going to compete for the WW title.
wrona666
8/14/09 4:18:24PM
Baroni is better and hyping fights then winning fights, but i guess we will see what happens......Personally i think he would have a better chance if he moved back up to MW......
whardin19
8/14/09 5:19:42PM
I can understand this move. Baroni is a hype machine when it comes to fights. So he'll definetally get people to tune in and show up to his fights. But my problem with this is how long will he be around? Probably no long in my opinion. He's going to a stacked WW divison where he probably can't even beat any of the top 15. Even though saying that I can't wait to see his first fight Baroni definetally brings it!

Baroni vs. Lytle anyone?????? When Lytle heals of course.
kaduey
8/14/09 5:46:28PM
He's also close friends with Dana.
GrandMaster313
8/14/09 5:53:25PM
Baroni Vs Markham might be entertaining !
StriderXero
8/14/09 6:19:45PM
I would rather see Krazy Horse signed with the UFC than Baroni TBH. He's much more fun to watch.
slapshot
8/14/09 6:22:01PM

Posted by seanfu

I don't know what the status is in NY as far as legalization but Baroni is a one man promotion machine and if fed a few guys could be hyped for a big fight on a NY card.

I really didn't think about that, hay maybe Dana is much closer than I thought to resolving the issues in New York? That is the only way it makes any sense at all because Phil really has no drawing power as a UFC fighter and for me if he's on a card it's something that would mean less value and not more regardless of who he fights.
prozacnation1978
8/14/09 7:36:53PM

sign a guy who has lost like 8 of 10 fights but cut leites and mccrory???
i do think baroni is alright but why signhim now?? have the guy reel of a couple wins first before you sign him, i am very curious to see who he fights first
landstander
8/14/09 7:41:09PM
the saying - promoters want a fighter who can knock people out or get knocked out comes to mind.
scobac
8/14/09 7:50:28PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by seanfu

I really didn't think about that, hay maybe Dana is much closer than I thought to resolving the issues in New York? That is the only way it makes any sense at all because Phil really has no drawing power as a UFC fighter and for me if he's on a card it's something that would mean less value and not more regardless of who he fights.

Baroni most certainly has drawing power in the ufc, maybe not for you but he is an interesting fighter and brings it when he fights, has a history of popularity with the fans of the ufc and hypes it like crazy, that my friend is drawing power.

Baroni is 5 and 5 in his last ten not 2-8. say what you will about baroni but you cant argue the level of guys he's faced throughout his career (win or lose).
bigbubbano23
8/14/09 8:26:01PM
WTF can't be said enough about this stupid move
gcraig22
8/14/09 9:03:45PM
Does anyone think they're signing all of these guys so they can use their rights in UFC Undisputed 2010? Then EA can't use them in their game. It makes sense to me. Baroni, Hallman, Belfort, Trigg, Ortiz, etc...
scoozna
8/14/09 10:15:34PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

sign a guy who has lost like 8 of 10 fights but cut leites and mccrory???
i do think baroni is alright but why signhim now?? have the guy reel of a couple wins first before you sign him, i am very curious to see who he fights first

Exactly. This boggles the mind.
MisterFreeze
8/15/09 12:26:31AM

Posted by gcraig22

Does anyone think they're signing all of these guys so they can use their rights in UFC Undisputed 2010? Then EA can't use them in their game. It makes sense to me. Baroni, Hallman, Belfort, Trigg, Ortiz, etc...

I think this is a very good possibility. I hadn't thought of this.
slapshot
8/16/09 3:50:02AM

Posted by scobac

Posted by slapshot

Posted by seanfu

Baroni most certainly has drawing power in the ufc, maybe not for you but he is an interesting fighter and brings it when he fights, has a history of popularity with the fans of the ufc and hypes it like crazy, that my friend is drawing power.

Baroni is 5 and 5 in his last ten not 2-8. say what you will about baroni but you cant argue the level of guys he's faced throughout his career (win or lose).

Actually no he doesn't, with the losses on his record and the level of competition in the UFC and the rate the game has changed I think the UFC will be hard pressed to find a way for anyone to get excited about his fights. I would be surprised if half the fans even know who he is. There is nothing interesting about a one dimensional fighter with no cardio especially if he's not winning fights.

I cant believe you just said the "level" he's faced, Im not trying to bash the guy but the level he fought at is so far behind the level of competition in the UFC now its not even debatable not only that but he lost to everyone he's ever fought that was good. 5 and 5 in his last ten fights is a horrible record especially when you factor in who he lost to and where they stand in rankings.

I admire his heart and his willingness to go out there and toss hay makers and I respect anyone who's willing to go out there and compete in MMA but the reality is that he has no business in the UFC with his record and skill set. I think the poll speaks to my opinion or at least that Im not the only one that wants to see competitive fights. Its not about hating on Baroni its about wanting only the most talented fighters or at the very least fighters that can compete on that level.