Phil Baroni anticipates "friendly environment" for CBS debut

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Phil Baroni anticipates "friendly environment" for CBS debut
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/18/08 3:10:35PM
Although several fighters from EliteXC's May 31 card have discussed the added pressures surrounding the event, at least one combatant feels it's just another day at the office.

"The New York Bad Ass," Phil Baroni (10-9), doesn't care about the size of the audience that may view the fight on CBS. The UFC and PRIDE veteran just wants to revive a career that has seen the 32-year-old lose two straight and four of his past six bouts.

Baroni discussed his mentality regarding the upcoming match-up with "Smoking" Joe Villasenor (25-6) while a guest on Friday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"It's cool," Baroni said about the network television audience. "But to be honest, I didn't get into fighting to be a rock star, to be on TV or any of that [expletive]. ... For me it's not about seeing how famous I'm going to be, the limelight. If that was the case, I would have done something else. I would have joined the drama club."
http://mmajunkie.com/news/4369/phil-baroni-anticipates-friendly-environment-for-cbs-debut.mma
DLPark91TH
5/18/08 6:25:45PM
ahh i have a feeling Baroni is going to lose against Villasenor...
and i think that Baroni vs. Ninja would've been a lot more interesting but too bad
btw nice name "CantAndleDaRiddum" haha GSP that english up
IriShame
5/18/08 7:24:57PM
I've gotten in trouble for fighter bashing this guy too many times I'll just say this, I agree it would have been more satisfying to see Ninja dismantle the New York Badass but I'll just have to do with Smokin Joe beating his ass. Why is this guy still a name? He was never even really good! In his prime he was mediocre at best. Sorry, I'll move on.
bigbubbano23
5/18/08 9:08:56PM
na i think he's still got somethin left
roman
5/19/08 3:53:38AM

Posted by IriShame

I've gotten in trouble for fighter bashing this guy too many times I'll just say this, I agree it would have been more satisfying to see Ninja dismantle the New York Badass but I'll just have to do with Smokin Joe beating his ass. Why is this guy still a name? He was never even really good! In his prime he was mediocre at best. Sorry, I'll move on.

Because he is a colorful and exciting fighter, he always puts it all on the line. I really hope he can pull off a victory, if his cardio is there I think he has more then a chance.
mrsmiley
5/19/08 5:13:33AM
Baroni is always halarious to listen to.The guy can talk,but he's always funny.I say smokin Joe takes him via TKO in the second round though.
whardin19
5/19/08 7:47:32AM
Baroni is a cool guy. I met him at the Arnold classic one year. Although not a top level fighter by any means. The guy has exciting fights and talks a good game.