Phil Baroni - Whats next???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Phil Baroni - Whats next???
GlancyMMA
3/18/08 11:22:01AM
So what is next for Phil Baroni....

Coming of the very contraversial steroid fiasco and an embarrassing choke out at the hands of Frank Shamrock after A LOT of S#*& talking, Baroni loses a 5 round epic battle to Hose for Robbie Lawler's vacant ICON middleweight championship title.

After two loses in a row both via technical KO/Submission, and a steroid scandal who will touch Baroni now? Where will he go? Is he under contract with ICON?? Was is a 1 fight deal? Is he now an undesirable free agent?

With a career record of now 10-9-0 another loss makes Baroni a .5 fighter....

I'm thinking Baroni will now fade into MMA history....

And idea's on where he will pop up next?
StevenSeagal
3/18/08 11:40:06AM
I do not know Baroni personally but from what I've seen and heard from him over the years I could care less where he goes. As if the flagrant roid abuse wasnt enough to lose support by the masses, this guy has never really evolved in my eyes. Its been Brooklyn brawler since day one... Take some time and figure out the holes in your game, fix them, and get serious about ur damn career. I know if I was lucky enough to be in the big leagues of MMA, I would be constantly looking to develop as a fighter and evolve... His mouth, persona, and heavy hands have sold seats in the past. The question that never got answered in my eyes was YEAH SO WHAT ELSE???

being "Heavy Handed" is like some special attribute... Bologna...

Im comparing Frank Shamrock here not in a nut hugging way, but as another vet that has faced Baroni. Shamrock has a mouth and persona that rivals Baroni. What Frank has that Baroni doesnt is a wider spectrum of skill and the attitude to keep growing as a fighter...
mrkennedy
3/18/08 11:41:16AM
maybe a tune up fight.

i dont like the guy he got no conditioning
CornishMMA
3/18/08 12:33:06PM
Bit like you got no grammar

Posted by GlancyMMA

Coming of the very contraversial steroid fiasco

WTF are you talking about? how was it very controversial? he was practically proven innocent and they reduced his sentance!

Posted by GlancyMMA

an embarrassing choke out at the hands of Frank Shamrock after A LOT of S#*& talking

Its like you arent even aware of the horrific hernia blowout he suffered 20 secs into the fight

Posted by GlancyMMA

Baroni loses a 5 round epic battle to Hose for Robbie Lawler's vacant ICON middleweight championship title.

And how does that diminish his stock? this is bizarre you are making out like he is no longer marketable cos of that when the truth is the exact opposite!

Oh his career record is 10-9 is it, thats terrible, numbers mean alot dont they, he will never reach the heights of a Travis Fulton or Jason Reinhardt!
GlancyMMA
3/18/08 12:47:12PM
First of all... calm down..... relax a little....

I'm not giving Baroni a hard time about this.... I would like to see his career re-bound....

Thats what this thread is about... I curious as to his options....

second.... my grammar??? come on?? this is an MMA website thread... does anyone really care how my grammar is??? I'm a quick typer I blow these out with ease....

The steroid contraversy was due to the 3 negative tests on the same sample.... the 3-2 decision not to overturn his suspension.... I didn't say he's not juicing.... I said it was contraversial..... big deal....

The embarrassing loss was due to all the trash talking.... regardless of the hernia Frank Shamrock is a great fighter and a loss to him is nothing to take lightly....

The fight with Hose was great..... but another loss does not help Baroni.... who wants to be a .5 fighter??

You just need to relax... there no hositility here towards Baroni... just concern....

This guys an old school UFC vet... I got nothin' but respect for him..... I just trying to figure out his next move....

Nightmare27
3/18/08 2:39:52PM
I am pretty sure that Baroni is under contract with Elite XC and was on loan to Icon. Although I have no idea if he has any fights left on that deal......Oh yeah and just to throw in my two cents, I think Phil had a game plan for this fight and for the first two rounds executed it pretty well. He had a grip of takedowns, but was just unable to keep Hose down long enough to do anything with it. It was the same game plan that he used against Nishazima(i know its spelled wrong), Hose was just a step up in competition. Rather than tear down Baroni, maybe we should be giving Hose credit for beating a game Baroni?!
NatedawgThaM
3/18/08 2:42:28PM
Get better Cardio or retire.
GlancyMMA
3/18/08 2:54:45PM
Props to the analysis of that bout and to Hose... good call

Thanks for the Elite XC info.... thats the kinda lead I'm looking for.
bullettdodger
3/18/08 3:04:10PM

Posted by GlancyMMA

I'm not giving Baroni a hard time about this.... I would like to see his career re-bound....

second.... my grammar??? come on?? this is an MMA website thread... does anyone really care how my grammar is??? I'm a quick typer I blow these out with ease....

The steroid contraversy was due to the 3 negative tests on the same sample.... the 3-2 decision not to overturn his suspension.... I didn't say he's not juicing.... I said it was contraversial..... big deal....

The embarrassing loss was due to all the trash talking.... regardless of the hernia Frank Shamrock is a great fighter and a loss to him is nothing to take lightly....

The fight with Hose was great..... but another loss does not help Baroni.... who wants to be a .5 fighter??

You just need to relax... there no hositility here towards Baroni... just concern....

This guys an old school UFC vet... I got nothin' but respect for him..... I just trying to figure out his next move....

I don't feel like getting in the middle of this i just felt i should offer that if you use improper grammar or spelling, it can make it hard for others to read your post correctly as you intended it to be read. Such misunderstandings can lead to arguments that could have been avoided with a simple comma lol.. anyway Baroni V Hose was a great fight, and i for one am happy the NY bad ass is still around, holes in his game, record, steroid scandal and all... he is still an awesome fighter to watch, Hard to say what his next move will be though. Only time will tell.
chubbud22
3/18/08 3:16:36PM

Posted by Nightmare27

I am pretty sure that Baroni is under contract with Elite XC and was on loan to Icon. Although I have no idea if he has any fights left on that deal......Oh yeah and just to throw in my two cents, I think Phil had a game plan for this fight and for the first two rounds executed it pretty well. He had a grip of takedowns, but was just unable to keep Hose down long enough to do anything with it. It was the same game plan that he used against Nishazima(i know its spelled wrong), Hose was just a step up in competition. Rather than tear down Baroni, maybe we should be giving Hose credit for beating a game Baroni?! [/QUOTE
]
Nightmare27
3/18/08 4:03:03PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Wow, really?! Its a shame that Phil wasnt posting on here so he could read your wonderful insight. I would love to see you in the ring!!
CornishMMA
3/18/08 4:09:30PM

Posted by GlancyMMA

Dude you didnt read my post properly, i wasnt saying about grammar to you, it was before quoting your posts, it was to the last post before mind, thought that was pretty clear

yeah i was just going NYBA style on you, fair enough if you wanna call it controversial but id call it bullshitt and that he was innocent, they knew that thats why they reduced his sentance, but i dont think the loss is as embarrasing as it could have been as a full loss without any major injury like that. Icon is part of pro elite and thats who he is signed too, it was in the news very recently you must have missed it.

He may have 9 losses but they are not bad losses! Tanner twice Lindland twice, LnP loss to Minowa i dont even see as a real loss cos that ref did not stand them up when he should have! The Sell one was weird but he was 30 secs away from a UD. Balance those with his big wins and theres no way you can make a thread which sounds like he is washed up and will fade into mma oblivion. He is the NYBA and will be back to his best soon. He will be back in the UFC im sure. Until then i hope he finally gets that fight with Lawler and wins some gold WAR BARONI
NatedawgThaM
3/18/08 4:10:49PM

Posted by Nightmare27

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Wow, really?! Its a shame that Phil wasnt posting on here so he could read your wonderful insight. I would love to see you in the ring!!

OMG, will you quit starting crap with me?

That's the best thing Phil can do since he always has to go all out. So he either needs to pace himself or keeping gassing out late in the first or in the second. If he does not work on that cardio and keeps going at that insane pace, he'll never beat top MW again.
wolfman
3/18/08 4:15:47PM

Posted by bullettdodger

I don't feel like getting in the middle of this i just felt i should offer that if you use improper grammar or spelling, it can make it hard for others to read your post correctly as you intended it to be read. Such misunderstandings can lead to arguments that could have been avoided with a simple comma lol.. anyway Baroni V Hose was a great fight, and i for one am happy the NY bad ass is still around, holes in his game, record, steroid scandal and all... he is still an awesome fighter to watch, Hard to say what his next move will be though. Only time will tell.

Exactly....
CornishMMA
3/18/08 4:25:52PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Nightmare27

Posted by NatedawgThaM

OMG, will you quit starting crap with me?

That's the best thing Phil can do since he always has to go all out. So he either needs to pace himself or keeping gassing out late in the first or in the second. If he does not work on that cardio and keeps going at that insane pace, he'll never beat top MW again.

Which to be fair doesnt mean he should retire tho does it dude! sure he needs to train cardio more but he will still always beat mid level guys most of the time with his ferocious style, im confident he will train more cardio and get better tho
NatedawgThaM
3/18/08 4:34:06PM
I think he should retire because he's a favorite fighter of mind because I love almost everybody from the old Hammer House team. I just hate seeing him getting beat up. I'm just being honest, you know a few submissions and can take a punch, you can beat him. Even easier if you take him to the 2nd round.

It's an obvious weakness that needs to be worked on and if he does not work on it, he should retire because I hate to see him get beat up after round one and lose shortly after!!!
StevenSeagal
3/18/08 4:43:06PM
Hey my grandmother's bingo club called. They want their useless old woman bickering back...

Fact is; Baroni is an entertaining fighter. Most of us can all agree. He has lost his fair share, and has had the roid issue...

Can you honestly say he has more than just great hands??? Honestly, nut hugging aside...

Can he handle a great BJJ guy? no
Can he handle a great wrestler? no
Can he handle a great all a round fighter? no
Can he land some bolos and win fights? Yes

Take what you want from that.

The original poster didnt start this thread to bash Baroni. Thought that was pretty clear. There was no harsh words used... It was a whats next for Baroni type thread... so unclench fist and back away from Phillip's testies lol

pz
Nightmare27
3/18/08 5:04:20PM
Hey Natedawg, I dont have beef with you. I just completely disagree with most of your opinions. If you would have just said that the first time I would have completely agreed with you, but "get cardio or retire"?! It just shows a lack of knowledge and respect for the sport. I for one admire Baroni for going in there and giving it all that he had, hopefully he will have more in the gas tank next time. War Baroni!!!