Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3 Photo Attachment 4
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 5:04:16PM
Couple more.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3
Shawn91111
7/31/12 5:07:06PM
Isnt there an official Olympic thread for this?
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 5:10:01PM

Posted by Shawn91111

So move it there.
prophecy033
7/31/12 5:14:16PM

Posted by Shawn91111

If you can't see that this deserves its own thread, I don't know what to tell you other than stop crying
FlashyG
7/31/12 5:15:14PM
I may be alone on this but as impressive as his medal totals are I still don't consider him the greatest Olympian.

I feel he has a pretty big advantage in that there are so many events for him to participate in vs all other sports.
Shawn91111
7/31/12 5:16:25PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

If you can't see that this deserves its own thread, I don't know what to tell you other than stop crying

He set the medal record, big fucking deal.
prophecy033
7/31/12 5:21:35PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

Actually, it is a HUGE fucking deal. Out of any athlete to EVER compete for their country, this guy who is American now holds the most medals EVER.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 5:25:37PM

Posted by FlashyG

I may be alone on this but as impressive as his medal totals are I still don't consider him the greatest Olympian.

I feel he has a pretty big advantage in that there are so many events for him to participate in vs all other sports.

Track & Field has an extensive number of events, more so than swimming, and none of them have been able to replicate this feature either.
DancingDoll
7/31/12 5:26:04PM
I'm not American, but I was excited to watch this event and proud for Phelp's achievement... that's a pretty incredible thing, as far as I'm concerned. He definitely deserves it.

And great to see the very talented (and very hot!) American swim team win the relay event. Lochte and Phelps were really impressive.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 5:26:12PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

This is pretty much what I mean when I say that all you do is bitch and complain.
Shawn91111
7/31/12 5:31:40PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

Actually, it is a HUGE fucking deal. Out of any athlete to EVER compete for their country, this guy who is American now holds the most medals EVER.

Sure its interesting but did it need its own thread away from the "official" Olympic thread
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 5:35:25PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Sure its interesting but did it need its own thread away from the "official" Olympic thread

Nor do you need to whine about EVERYTHING posted on the Playground. My god, dude. You are seriously the most childish-acting adult I have ever "met" in my life. It's like you wake up in the morning with a plan to shit in someone's breakfast.

Are you capable of thinking without speaking? Or do you just enjoy bringing down an entire thread with negativity and unnecessary comments? At this point I am convinced that you're just being antagonistic for the sake of trolling people.

Just stop. For once in your life, act like a grown-ass man and just stop.
Poor_Franklin
7/31/12 5:35:58PM
the classic "Did we really need this thread?" argument. NICE.
Rabi
7/31/12 5:37:44PM
Things are getting silly now. For those that want to discuss Phelps and his success please discuss.

For those that arent that fussed (which includes me) please stay off the thread.

Thanks
prophecy033
7/31/12 5:37:52PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

I get what you're saying Shawn and yes, I feel this accomplishment should. It took 48 years and 12 Summer Olympics to beat
FlashyG
7/31/12 5:46:55PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by FlashyG

Track & Field has an extensive number of events, more so than swimming, and none of them have been able to replicate this feature either.

No they don't. There are 13 events in swimming where you swim less than 200m individually.

If Usain Bolt could run the 100 and 200 metres in 4 different ways and then still have his team relay events he'd put up just as impressive medal totals.

I consider the winner of the decathlon to be the best athletes as they have to excel at more than one sport. Thats just my opinion though.
Poor_Franklin
7/31/12 5:50:35PM
i consider Phelps the best overall Olympian without being the best athlete, as i tend to pick dacathletes or basketball players for best athleticism.
One can be the best football player in the nfl without being the best athlete, so i think the same applies here.
Rabi
7/31/12 5:51:50PM
I dont want to lock this thread as people who want to discuss Phelps should be able to.

Any one posting with the intention of winding other people up will have there post deleted.

There is no need for trolling.
sparky
7/31/12 5:52:35PM
Phelps is the fuckin man I'm a Canadian and I was rooting for him

Amazing accomplishment not sure if we'll ever see anyone like this man again in our lifetime.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 5:52:55PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by FlashyG

No they don't. There are 13 events in swimming where you swim less than 200m individually.

If Usain Bolt could run the 100 and 200 metres in 4 different ways and then still have his team relay events he'd put up just as impressive medal totals.

I consider the winner of the decathlon to be the best athletes as they have to excel at more than one sport. Thats just my opinion though.

The difference being that each stroke requires a different technique, set of muscles, and different competition. Some of the best in the world at 200m competitions get beaten easily in 100m competitions.

Each competition is a different beast. I see what you're saying, though. By the numbers, he's still the most decorated Olympian of all time. Quite a feat either way.
Shawn91111
7/31/12 5:59:45PM

Posted by Rabi

I dont want to lock this thread as people who want to discuss Phelps should be able to.

Any one posting with the intention of winding other people up will have there post deleted.

Nobody is trolling man, we are speaking of the Olympics.
FlashyG
7/31/12 6:06:21PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

The difference being that each stroke requires a different technique, set of muscles, and different competition. Some of the best in the world at 200m competitions get beaten easily in 100m competitions.

Each competition is a different beast. I see what you're saying, though. By the numbers, he's still the most decorated Olympian of all time. Quite a feat either way.

I'm not trying to discredit Phelps as a swimmer, he's unquestionably the best swimmer ever. I just don't consider his feat better than a gymnast who racked up 18 medals over 3 olympics vs his 19 over 4. Especially when you consider how many of his were team medals.

Then you have athletes who've won medals in both winter and summer Olympics, and Athletes who've won their only event 4 Olympics in a row.
cowcatcher
7/31/12 6:06:30PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Rabi

Nobody is trolling man, we are speaking of the Olympics.

Come on Shawn, it's pretty obvious that you were just trying to get a rise out of BSB there. If you don't have something nice to say, yada yada. I get that you two don't get along, but there's no need to start something in what was supposed to be a congratulatory thread. Just drop it so no one has to get a lecture, there's no reason for this.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 6:15:48PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'm not trying to discredit Phelps as a swimmer, he's unquestionably the best swimmer ever. I just don't consider his feat better than a gymnast who racked up 18 medals over 3 olympics vs his 19 over 4. Especially when you consider how many of his were team medals.

Then you have athletes who've won medals in both winter and summer Olympics, and Athletes who've won their only event 4 Olympics in a row.

I see what you're saying, but there are an ungodly number of gymnastics events. Oh, also. Bolt has more than just sprinting available to him. It's that he CAN'T do the other events. Believe me, if Bolt were winning these impressive 100 & 200m competitions AND winning hurdles & long jump, people would be talking about him, too.

Phelps does everything except for diving. I don't think we should be holding the fact that he CAN do these other events at this level against him. Sure, all swimmers can do the breast, butterfly, etc strokes, but not all of them can win gold doing it. Just as I am sure Usain Bolt could run the hurdles, but he doesn't because it's not his strong suit.
FlashyG
7/31/12 6:31:57PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I see what you're saying, but there are an ungodly number of gymnastics events. Oh, also. Bolt has more than just sprinting available to him. It's that he CAN'T do the other events. Believe me, if Bolt were winning these impressive 100 & 200m competitions AND winning hurdles & long jump, people would be talking about him, too.

Phelps does everything except for diving. I don't think we should be holding the fact that he CAN do these other events at this level against him. Sure, all swimmers can do the breast, butterfly, etc strokes, but not all of them can win gold doing it. Just as I am sure Usain Bolt could run the hurdles, but he doesn't because it's not his strong suit.

There are 8 Gymnastic events total, 7 running events (not counting hurdles) vs 17 swimming events. I think its also pretty obvious that the differences between events in Gymnastics are far greater than they are in swimming.

I'm not sure how you can argue that isn't a distinct advantage for Swimmers vs other athletes.

What other sport can you possibly win 8 medals in one games? Gymnastics if you sweep everything, and Swimming outside of that its impossible.

BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 6:34:01PM

Posted by FlashyG

There are 8 Gymnastic events total, 7 running events (not counting hurdles) vs 17 swimming events. I think its also pretty obvious that the differences between events in Gymnastics are far greater than they are in swimming.

I'm not sure how you can argue that isn't a distinct advantage for Swimmers vs other athletes.

What other sport can you possibly win 8 medals in one games? Gymnastics if you sweep everything, and Swimming outside of that its impossible.

Side question: How are you categorizing this stuff? You're saying swimming events, but then saying only running for Track & Field. How many Track & Field events are there? ALL track.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/31/12 6:38:58PM
Also, I'm not sure what you're looking at, but there are WAY more events in Track & Field.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
infestructure
7/31/12 6:39:20PM
DRUG CHEAT!! PHELPS SMOKED A BIG FAT APPLE BONG BEFORE HE SWAM!

Jokes. Weed isn't a drug...
Pages: [1] 2 3