Petruzelli Received Death Threats

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Petruzelli Received Death Threats
snakerattle79
10/9/08 6:37:31AM
http://promma.info/?p=2336

PRO MMA: How did you celebrate your big win? Did you go out?

Seth: Yeah I went out that night, I was a little scared to go out, but I reluctantly went out because everyone wanted me to go out. I had a couple of death threats and people saying some stuff, so I was kind of scared to go out a little bit but I went low key so it pretty fun then I had an after party here which was really fun. I got a little too drunk. I didn’t even have that much to drink but after cutting weight and not having much food I was drunk after just a couple of drinks.

PRO MMA: You said you had some death threats, but was it the locals because I know you are from Florida too?

Seth: Yeah, I’m from Florida but not from south Florida. It was mainly the Kimbo fans down there that was doing it.

PRO MMA: Having to worry about some gangsters doing some shady stuff to you when you’re trying to celebrate your win, man that’s no fun.

Seth: Yeah it kind of sucks and kind of takes the fun out of it. The first thing I said to the athletic commissioner when he came in the ring and told me to calm down was, “You gotta get me outta here, you gotta get me outta here. I’m scared.” I was just waiting for something to get thrown in the ring.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/10/07/seth-petruzelli-discusses-elitexc-bonus-money-kimbos-posse-threatening-his-wife-what-it-was-like-fighting-bob-sapp-and-more-in-new-exclusive-interview/

Sam Caplan: Can you talk about the aftermath? That was a pretty crazy scene around the cage with Kimbo’s crew. At any point were you concerned for your safety?

Seth Petruzelli: Oh yeah, 100 percent. Afterwards, and I didn’t know it at the time, buy my wife had got threatened a few times. My corner had got threatened a few times. I had stuff thrown at me from the crowd. As soon as I had got done circling and screaming, the athletic commission told me I had to calm down because the crowd was getting crazy. So I calmed down and said listen, “You’ve got to get me out of here.” And I kind of started to get worried about my well-being at that point (laughs).

Sam Caplan: Did the threats against your wife and your corner come from Kimbo’s fans or his corner?

Seth Petruzelli: It was some of his posse that was around the cage. Not all of them were like that but there were a few that were talking some crap that I wasn’t very happy about.

Sam Caplan: (Laughs) Do you have any idea what they possibly could have been mad at you about aside from doing your job?

Seth Petruzelli: I have no idea. I heard this one kid, he kept saying “You cheated! You cheated! You cheated!” (Laughs) And I’m like, how the hell did I cheat!? I mean, what are you talking about!?

ufcboss
10/9/08 6:48:09AM
Thats just sad and it kinda says that Kimbo is not ready for mainstream mma, If he loses and his fans (Some not all) do shit like that, Its just sad. Dont get me wrong, I like watching him fight, Just thought he was getting way too much exposure as some top fighter.

Also if his corner said or did anything or even encouraged people to act stupid, They should be punished/fined. You dont see crap like that in the UFC.

And i wish he was refered to as Kevin Furguson, Not Kimbo Slice, Maybe he should change his name! Does any fighter only get mention by their nick name?
DCRage
10/9/08 7:34:51AM
War Machine, but only because that's his legal name now. And perhaps GSP (initials). As for the death threats, I'm not surprised. I certainly wouldn't wish it on Seth but he came into the homeboy's 'hood and beat, embarrassed, and plain old humiliated the homeboy on his home turf. So of course there will be those who want nothing more than for him to die, which is taking it way too far. It's not the end of the world, everybody loses at some point or another. (Well,almost evryone)
Twenty20Dollars
10/9/08 8:28:23AM
that is what this sport doesnt need, a crowd being stupid like that over a fight. It's MMA south florida not a street brawl.
Branwest
10/9/08 8:56:56AM
That's just flat-out pathetic. I mean, come-on, do expect somebody not to celebrate when they get a TKO win, their a heavy underdog (30 pounds lighter, etc.), and they do it in only 14 seconds? Pretty much everyone loses at one point or another. Machida will eventually lose, Rashad, Thiago Silva, etc. This is something that would've happened in the UFC in 1995 or something.
Grow up, this is a sport. You can't take it personal. You'll take some things a little personal but when you win, you celebrate. Elite needs to get control of the people/posse that are with the fighters. As far as the crowd goes, that'll probably never change. There will always be some immature fans, but those fans aren't the true, hard-core fans. They give mma a bad name, and we don't need them. Congrats Seth. It probably didn't help much that you had pink hair.
Shawn91111
10/9/08 9:51:33AM

And i wish he was refered to as Kevin Furguson, Not Kimbo Slice, Maybe he should change his name! Does any fighter only get mention by their nick name?

Cro Cop and Rampage mostly, Babalu as well
DCRage
10/9/08 10:03:04AM
David "Tank" Abbott is another one. They always call him Tank.
Mastodon2
10/9/08 11:38:59AM
Lame stuff like this is what is putting me off MMA. It was so much more respectful and respectable when the Japanese had Pride. Now we just have Dream, but still the Pride audiences were the best.

You don't get this kind of petty macho crap in K-1.
4u2nv
10/9/08 11:40:34AM
Damn you gotta be a real scumbag 'c u next tuesday' to threaten somebody's wife. I mean I can understand being upset that your boy lost, but grow a pair and accept it.
billycarnage
10/9/08 12:15:33PM
So he's got a wife... I guess he's not a Homo after all.

Shogun 'Mauricio Rua' is another.
JohnnyNapalm
10/9/08 12:31:45PM
Maybe some of the fans who were most upset were hanger-ons who had been enjoying their ride on the Kimbo gravy train - CRASH!!!

***After the fight was stopped, the following is heard at cageside...***

"Now who is goin' to pay for th' mutherfukin' malt liquor?"
JohnnyNapalm
10/9/08 12:33:26PM
Fighters who are referred to by their nickname only?

God

(Fedor)
dannyfrank
10/9/08 8:42:10PM

Posted by 4u2nv

Damn you gotta be a real scumbag 'c u next tuesday' to threaten somebody's wife. I mean I can understand being upset that your boy lost, but grow a pair and accept it.

thats exactly what i was thinking. im mean, threaten me if you want, but if someone threatened my wife/girlfriend, i'd start crackin' some skulls
Naturaldisaster
10/9/08 9:11:15PM
This is why I hate kimbo slice. Because of his fans. Their mostly nothin but Wanna be thugs.
jiujitsufreak74
10/9/08 10:35:19PM
Elite XC should die right now, i have had it. this is the final straw for me. if fighters are getting death threats it should be loud and clear the type of people that Elite XC is appealing to. they are trash, they attract trash and they make MMA look like trash. i would actually rather have no MMA on mainstream TV than have Elite XC on mainstream TV.
Naturaldisaster
10/10/08 1:45:16AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Elite XC should die right now, i have had it. this is the final straw for me. if fighters are getting death threats it should be loud and clear the type of people that Elite XC is appealing to. they are trash, they attract trash and they make MMA look like trash. i would actually rather have no MMA on mainstream TV than have Elite XC on mainstream TV.

agreed!
haggiswashere
10/10/08 4:08:36AM
Chris "Haggis" Durrant. Im not even a fighter and i get the privlidge of goin by my nickname. Haggis was here!!! god im a loser
cowcatcher
10/10/08 9:42:45AM
kimbo doesnt travel with a posse, its a gang complete with body double just in case someone goes after him. i hate to say it but in the poorer areas of this country the gang mentality takes over way too often and where theres one thug, there are a bunch of others that want to be thugs and will go out of their way to prove that they are as bad as the guys they look up to. seth really has a good attitude, and im glad that he got to go out and celebrate without anything happening to him. the more i read from him, the more likable he is becoming, and kimbo has been nothing but gracious in defeat, its too bad his "peeps" arent the same way. like him or hate him, kimbo has not once crossed a line in my book, win or lose hes all business and very gracious and as much as i hate the hype around him, the guy seems like a pretty solid individual when it comes down to it. its too bad that he takes so much heat and was built up to unreachable standards because by himself hes not been a bad mark on the sport, its just everything else around him and the street fighter image that elitexc loves to use to promote him. there are a ton of other fighters out there that have had their fair share of fights outside of a controlled environment, but no one gets them played up like kimbo, and in a way thats too bad because more and more he doesnt seem like the bad guy i thought he was.
RhythmAndStyle
10/13/08 5:29:03PM
all i can say is big props man...
ncordless
10/13/08 8:06:24PM

Posted by JohnnyNapalm

Fighters who are referred to by their nickname only?

God

(Fedor)

Fedor is his real name. Not a nickname. Some other fighters refered to by their nickname are Ninja, Big and Lil Nog, ( who also go by minotauro and minotoro, but rarely Antonio Rodrigo and Antonio Rogerio), and Shaolin.