Petition

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Petition
Next Page »
KungFuMaster
10/5/11 8:26:32PM
Why is it this site will not allow us to discuss controversial issues? We have many intelligent posters here and I think the discussions of controversial topics will only bring out the best in all of us. Many of us will benefit from these discussions and many of us will learn a lot about ourselves and others. If we are mature while going about the discussions, I believe a lot of knowledge and wisdom can be passed.

Please sign this petition if you would like the site to allow discussions to include sensitive and or controversial issues.
SmileR
10/5/11 8:59:40PM
I pretty sure the mods have already addressed this in a recent post about the site being changed. I'm too lazy to look for it but I think they said the site rules might be getting relaxed a bit anyway.
grappler0000
10/5/11 9:00:58PM
Politics is one thing that I hope remains off limits. It's something that I enjoy discussing from time to time, but this place was a mad house when it was allowed on the forums. It's something that I definitely don't miss. Nothing positive ever occurred as a result of political discussion...usually just a locked thread and banned members at the end of the day.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/5/11 9:01:37PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Why is it this site will not allow us to discuss controversial issues? We have many intelligent posters here and I think the discussions of controversial topics will only bring out the best in all of us. Many of us will benefit from these discussions and many of us will learn a lot about ourselves and others. If we are mature while going about the discussions, I believe a lot of knowledge and wisdom can be passed.

Please sign this petition if you would like the site to allow discussions to include sensitive and or controversial issues.

Most posters are not mature enough to handle these issues and I doubt your petition makes much of a difference. Regardless of who may, or may not, sign it.

The simple fact remains; this site used to allow a bunch of latitude when it came to controversial issues and it's been proven time and time again that posters cannot handle it.

In an idealistic world, I'm sure that many of the mods and even Hippysmacker would like to allow people to discuss these matters, but they've tried it repeatedly and it's been a failed experiment every time.

The site is for MMA, let's just stick to that.
Chael_Sonnen
10/5/11 9:18:45PM
pmoney
10/5/11 9:20:00PM
I remember my grandfather telling me never to discuss religion or politics at the dinner table. I am pretty sure he meant the same for MMA forums.

While I do believe there could be a semblance of intelligent discussion on sensitive issues here, I think it would probably devolve fairly quickly into mudslinging and just a bad time in general. I like discussing my MMA, the weird locker room or padded room topics, and that's about it. Most other topics just get me depressed on angry, lol.
KungFuMaster
10/5/11 9:36:02PM
I happen to think the standard for posting on Playground is very high compared to most other mma sites. And because the standard high, I believe the posters who are already actively posting here will do just fine when talking about sensitive issues.

The rule for this site does state we cannot discuss controversial issues but we as Playground have discussed a handful of controversial topics already. >>> The 8 yr old kids doing mma, Big Nog not wanting to train with a homosexual and a few more which I cannot recall at the moment.

We are already doing it and everyone has been fine about it. I took some heat in those threads, but I am a grown man and I will live.

KungFuMaster
10/5/11 9:39:09PM

Posted by grappler0000

Politics is one thing that I hope remains off limits. It's something that I enjoy discussing from time to time, but this place was a mad house when it was allowed on the forums. It's something that I definitely don't miss. Nothing positive ever occurred as a result of political discussion...usually just a locked thread and banned members at the end of the day.

How about capital punishment? Would you be willing to discuss that?
DeadHead988
10/5/11 9:41:01PM
I understand where you're coming from, but if you want to discuss those things then go to a forum meant for those things. This is an MMA forum, and we do branch off into plenty of other subjects, but going into topics that would be considered "sensitive" would simply be straying too far from our core topic of MMA.
grappler0000
10/5/11 9:49:05PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by grappler0000

How about capital punishment? Would you be willing to discuss that?

Well, that's not too far separated from politics. I don't have a problem discussing it per se, but that's not the issue I have. Pretty much anything that people are passionate about and have two distinct points-of-view usually go down the same road. Just look what can happen with a Pride vs UFC discussion...and that's not even something of real importance. I wish some of these topics would result in what you envision, but unfortunately I've seen the opposite occur time and time again. I'm all about discussing anything and everything, but at the end of the day, I'd rather sacrifice some small things to ensure stability on the forums here. I can discuss those things many other places at any time I want...on the contrary, I only have one place to discuss MMA.
KungFuMaster
10/5/11 9:57:48PM
I tried.

Sometimes I find myself browsing through threads after threads and nothing seems to interest me and I just thought - if we could.....

but we can't.
grappler0000
10/5/11 10:30:37PM
I hear ya. In a perfect world, I'd agree with you 100%.
Poor_Franklin
10/5/11 11:16:39PM
i like discussing these topics, but not in an internet forum environment.

pmoney
10/5/11 11:31:09PM
KungFuMaster, I applaud you for your efforts. I must spread the love. You always come up with good ideas and unique posts, and you keep us active in the forums. I just don't want to hear other posters views on third-trimester abortions or anything like that. I can agree to disagree on MMA issues; political/religious/sensitive issues are much harder to keep a level head while discussing, personally speaking anyhow.
KungFuMaster
10/6/11 12:12:24AM
Thanks guys. I know the discussion of these topics will not change anything in the real world but I just felt we could dabble in it for fun's sake.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/6/11 1:22:13AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Thanks guys. I know the discussion of these topics will not change anything in the real world but I just felt we could dabble in it for fun's sake.

I believe in your idea, but the reality is that, for every 3 members on this site that could discuss it rationally, there's a litany of posters that can't contain themselves.
cowcatcher
10/6/11 2:22:55AM
If we offered a room where only paying members could post whatever they wanted to post would you pay and join?

If so, I'm all for it. I don't dislike anyone's opinions, in fact, I love to debate them. If you guys really want to open up everything in one particular forum then I'm with you. I'll be a dick to you guys sometimes, and I'd expect you guys would be dicks to me too when I don't share your viewpoint. I should be posting in the I'm drunk thread tonight, but I want to talk real issues with the guys I've come to love and hate on the PG, and I think we all have a mutual respect for each other. You guys are my friends, you may not know it, but I give a shit about the members here. What you want is what I want, so if we need to open things up let's do it without worrying about pissing off the mods. Let's take a poll and see what people that honestly contribute to the site have to say, and by that I mean paying members and regular posters. A free website that offers real money is pretty crazy in general, but help us make it better. We want you to come back! I don't get a damn thing for being a mod here, but I get to know at the end of the day that I help with the best MMA site on the planet, and you guys make it the best. Thanks everyone, I might be the asshole mod in some people's eyes, but you guys make my day time and time again, and that's worth something.
Poor_Franklin
10/6/11 3:19:19AM

Posted by cowcatcher
, but you guys make my day time and time again, and that's worth something.

grappler0000
10/6/11 3:32:06AM
Now you're speaking my language, Cowcatcher. I've always wanted a super duper top secret lair on the PG for the premium members. Whatever the scenario...I'm in.
cowcatcher
10/6/11 3:37:07AM

Posted by grappler0000

Now you're speaking my language, Cowcatcher. I've always wanted a super duper top secret lair on the PG for the premium members. Whatever the scenario...I'm in.

I think that's a fair thing to ask for and I'll back this 130% if you guys really want it. Except for one catch, grapplers can't use it, only strikers...
grappler0000
10/6/11 7:18:37AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by grappler0000

I think that's a fair thing to ask for and I'll back this 130% if you guys really want it. Except for one catch, grapplers can't use it, only strikers...

I changed my mind...what a horrible idea. Nobody would want something like that.
emfleek
10/6/11 9:20:12AM
After reading cowcatcher's post, I no longer need to go to ESPN.com to see if the Brewer's lost.

gartface
10/6/11 9:57:28AM

Posted by emfleek

After reading cowcatcher's post, I no longer need to go to ESPN.com to see if the Brewer's lost.

I didn't even put two and two together. There are numerous posts such as this that just had me cracking up this morning.
Aether
10/6/11 11:23:28AM
honestly, discussions about politics almost never end well. It's usually just people saying their point of view over and over without any intention of listening to anyone else's. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who could discuss it maturely, but inevitably those threads almost always result in ban-worthy posting from someone.
prophecy033
10/6/11 11:55:51AM

Posted by Aether

honestly, discussions about politics almost never end well. It's usually just people saying their point of view over and over without any intention of listening to anyone else's. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who could discuss it maturely, but inevitably those threads almost always result in ban-worthy posting from someone.

reminds me of the old adage "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". But I would support a forum for people who support the site by going premium
jjeans
10/6/11 12:10:48PM
I'm up for a forum for Premium Members only too, whatever the discussion!
KungFuMaster
10/6/11 12:19:30PM
Cowcatcher touched on a point which I so dearly believe in. This site and any other site are only as good as their members. We, the members, make the site what it is. The success of this site is dependent upon us. Those of us who post regularly contribute in more ways to this site than I can count. We keep the flow. We help put it on the web map. We are responsible for recruitment.

I cannot stress how significant each regular poster means to this site. Playground is the planet and we, the members, are the core which keeps the planet alive.

What I asked for is not much but at the same time, I don't want my request to be granted if no one else shares my vision. If no one wants to discuss controversial issues, then I am fine with not being able to discuss them. But if no one wants to discuss them in fear of members getting out of hand, then I encourage you to petition for what I asked. Like I have said, the forum rules are set high and those who continually post here regularly are abiding by the high standards already. There should not be too much difference in discussing a controversial issue and an MMA match.

When I first joined, I did not know if I would stay because the traffic is slow compared to what I am used to on other sites. I fell in love with the fantasy leagues but that was not enough to keep me here. I stayed because there was a hint of intelligence in the air but it was not very noticeable. Every now and then a thread pops up which calls for intellectual posting and the intelligence which was once faint - blossomed into an auditorium filled with all sorts of aromas. I would catch a wiff here - mmm, that smells good. Catch another wiff there - mmm, that was good too. I would go around sniffing all the scents and wonder to myself, "Why did I not smell them before?"
cowcatcher
10/6/11 12:52:39PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I would catch a wiff here - mmm, that smells good. Catch another wiff there - mmm, that was good too. I would go around sniffing all the scents and wonder to myself, "Why did I not smell them before?"

Sorry that was me. PBR is not always kind the morning after.
cowcatcher
10/6/11 1:40:03PM

Posted by emfleek

At least I'm a happy drunk.

I don't think I ever want to see a grand slam again, I felt like Mola Ram ripped my heart out the past two nights.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/6/11 3:05:52PM

Posted by prophecy033
reminds me of the old adage "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". But I would support a forum for people who support the site by going premium

I don't remember that quote, I remember this quote right here

So fitting for this thread.
Pages: [1] 2