Pernell Whitaker vs. Floyd Mayweather WHO WINS

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Pernell Whitaker vs. Floyd Mayweather WHO WINS
POLL: Who wins?
Pernell Whitaker 29% (5)
Floyd Mayweather 71% (12)
NatedawgThaM
10/26/09 9:10:56PM
(Names link to highlights)
Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker(40(17 KO's)-4-1-1 NC)

VS.

Floyd "Money" Mayweather(40(23 KO's)-0-0)

Too me this would be the greatest defensive fight in boxing history. The 2 best defenses in the game. Floyds is the best in terms of defending himself and being able to not get hit. But Pernell's opened up alot more offense and it was more effective in the fight. It wasn't about just not getting hit, it was about making your opponents pay 2. And even though Pernell got hit more(Even though that tends to happen when you actually fight the elite guys in YOUR weight class unlike Floyd), he made you pay more then Floyd does. Both are sickly fast. Floyd has more power IMO, but Pernell was way more active as I stated above. Pernell fought for the fans, Mayweather fights for the money.

Also it should be mentioned Pernell really was in most opinions, as well as mine undefeated at 44-0 until he fought Trinidad past his prime and he even fought 6 rounds with a broken jaw. His last win was a NC for cocaine posession, but in a #1P4P vs #2P4P fight against Julio Cesar Chavez(87-0 at time), he school Chavez and got robbed with a draw. One of the biggest screwjobs in boxing. Also against Jose Luiz Ramirez he lost a split decision when he was schooling him the whole time and got a BS loss in France, but avenged it a year later in the US when he school him again inOne of the greatest displays of defensive boxing I have ever seen!!!(1st fight in video) Not to mention a lot of people thought he beat A PRIMED Oscar De La Hoya too. Elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame a champion in 4 different weight classes. Floyd also has been a champ in several different weight classes, 4 or 5. At the lighter weights he fought the best offered and beat them but since coming up to welterweight that all changed as he has yet to fight someone his size like Cotto, Mosely, or Clottty, or even Paul Williams(Not exactly his size hahaha) but instead looks for JMM & Pacman.

Who do you think would win this fantasy fight? Very interesting fight but just because his defense helped his offense be very more effective and set up openings and because he was more active I'd take Pernell in an extremely close decision that in real life would probably go to Floyd because of how Pernells always robbed haha
Svartorm
10/26/09 9:49:18PM
Great idea for a thread!

Both guys were incredible defensive boxers, although style wise they were different, as Mayweather is much more about glove defense and footwork, where Whitaker could slip a punch like no one I've ever seen. I think your breakdown was very well done, but I'd like to add that the cardio would certainly play a much larger factor than in other fights because of the speed of both men. In the conditioning realm, Mayweather never slows down and his punch volume never depletes, so while Whitaker would win early rounds, Mayweather would certainly own the later rounds.

Split decision for Mayweather in my eyes.
Jackelope
10/26/09 10:03:32PM
People hate me when I say this, but Mayweather may be one of the best boxers in history. Technically he is very sound. Like Svar said- he's phenomenally conditioned, and he punches in volume and with speed that is hard to deny. The man is just a fantastic boxer and whether you like him or not if you know a thing about boxing you have to admit that.

Honestly his only weaknesses are his mouth, his distaste for going up in weight, and his questionable power. Two of those don't even matter during a fight, and even though his power is questionable he'll kill you with punches in droves. He's just a great boxer and probably one of the best that ever lived.

So, all that said I have to take Mayweather. Hate me if you will.
Khaos
10/26/09 10:14:25PM
I would say Pernell, I really don't know who he is, but I have an incredible dislike for Floyd, though I'll admt that he is a good boxer.
higdon10
10/26/09 10:26:52PM

Posted by Jackelope

People hate me when I say this, but Mayweather may be one of the best boxers in history. Technically he is very sound. Like Svar said- he's phenomenally conditioned, and he punches in volume and with speed that is hard to deny. The man is just a fantastic boxer and whether you like him or not if you know a thing about boxing you have to admit that.

Honestly his only weaknesses are his mouth, his distaste for going up in weight, and his questionable power. Two of those don't even matter during a fight, and even though his power is questionable he'll kill you with punches in droves. He's just a great boxer and probably one of the best that ever lived.

So, all that said I have to take Mayweather. Hate me if you will.

Love him or hate him, Mayweather is great.
Aaronno9
10/26/09 10:31:59PM
Got to go with Floyd. Personally, I hate him. But till I actually see somebody step in the ring and beat him, Ill never pick against him.
seanfu
10/26/09 11:09:27PM
Whitaker.
SmileR
10/26/09 11:26:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

Great idea for a thread!

Both guys were incredible defensive boxers, although style wise they were different, as Mayweather is much more about glove defense and footwork, where Whitaker could slip a punch like no one I've ever seen. I think your breakdown was very well done, but I'd like to add that the cardio would certainly play a much larger factor than in other fights because of the speed of both men. In the conditioning realm, Mayweather never slows down and his punch volume never depletes, so while Whitaker would win early rounds, Mayweather would certainly own the later rounds.

Split decision for Mayweather in my eyes.

That is exactly how I see it happening if this fight ever could have happened. Love him or hate him Mayweather is good but he'll never be exciting to watch and his last fight proved it. Whitaker on the other hand is awesome to watch and watching him slip punch after punch never gets old.