Why do people say MMA doesn't have the best athletes?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why do people say MMA doesn't have the best athletes?
fedorwins1
3/7/07 1:49:51PM
The sport is young, but how can people say that MMA doesn't have some of the best athletes. I mean look at some of the fighters like Yoshida-Olympic Gold Medalist, Dan Henderson-Olympic level wrestler, Matt Lindland-Olympic Silver Medalist, Rulon Gardner-Olympic Gold Medalist, Josh Koscheck-Wrestling champ, Matt Hughes-All American wrestler, Randy Cotoure-Olympic alternate the list just goes on and on. Can someone explain to me what they mean when they say that MMA doesn't have the best athletes?
waylon_o
3/7/07 1:51:33PM
I agree. This sport encompasses more athletic talents than anyone I've ever seen. Wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, jiu jitsu, cardio, jumping, strength, flexibility, coordination...I could go on. There's so much more to MMA than any other sport.
AchillesHeel
3/7/07 2:17:55PM
Um... I've never heard anyone say this.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/7/07 2:32:49PM
I've heard the opposite on many occasions
crimethinc
3/7/07 2:34:47PM
There's an easy answer. They aren't fans. MMA fans will say MMA has the best athletes in the world. Basketball players will say basketball does. Hell, golfers will say golf does. This isn't exactly a scientific statement.

On a personal note, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm the best athlete in the world.
madmarck
3/7/07 2:37:01PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Neither have i. Who has been saying this and where? It is clearly a phyiscally demanding sport.
PS add in that Matt Lindland is a olympic sivler medalist not just a particpant. and that Randy was a olympic alternate.
fedorwins1
3/7/07 4:51:43PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by AchillesHeel

Neither have i. Who has been saying this and where? It is clearly a phyiscally demanding sport.
PS add in that Matt Lindland is a olympic sivler medalist not just a particpant. and that Randy was a olympic alternate.

I put those two things in. What I mean is that MMA fans are saying that the best athletes are not doing MMA right now, and once they are doing MMA the level will of competiton will go up. I kind of see that as dumb, because Olympic Gold Medalist are some of the best athletes on Earth.
Lay_N_Pray
3/7/07 5:50:32PM
Why do people say that? One word....Butterbean
cowcatcher
3/7/07 6:20:22PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

nicely said, other than him and giant silva i don't know why anyone would say that, or if anyone has for that matter
mkiv9secsupra
3/7/07 10:20:05PM
how have you all not heard people say this crap?! than again it is mainly people who think MMA is just a boring sport a lot of people i heard say this are people who dont even know the mechanics of the sport. they seem to think it is some low level show where you stick two people in a cage and let them do whatever the hell they want......those people are retarded
madmarck
3/7/07 10:24:36PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Butterbean who is more well known has a pro boxer?
D-Boy
3/8/07 6:31:16AM
Personally I think the best athletes in the world do track and field and things like that
AchillesHeel
3/8/07 12:48:08PM

Posted by fedorwins1

What I mean is that MMA fans are saying that the best athletes are not doing MMA right now, and once they are doing MMA the level will of competiton will go up.

Again, I've never heard anyone say that, but for the sake of conversation, I would ask how one defines athleticism. Strength? Cardio fitness? Agility? Flexibility? Hand-eye coordination? Speed?

It's difficult to compare athletes across sports, because the skills are refined to such a sharp edge. You could ask how long LaDainian Tomlinson would last in the ring or cage against a KOTC or IFL light-heavyweight, but that's kind of a pointless comparison. On the other hand, try to imagine Chuck Liddell trying to hit Dontrelle Willis' slider, or playing a set against Andy Roddick.

I agree with the second half of your statement above; I do think the "level" of MMA will continue to improve as the number of competitors increases. That's only natural. Looking at the dramatic improvements over the last 12 years makes my head spin. Can you imagine sending Fedor or Chuck or Cro Cop back in time to fight at UFC 1? They'd kill somebody. If they got punched in the balls, they'd kill them twice.
Lay_N_Pray
3/8/07 1:11:25PM
It was a joke a madmarck...I know Butterbean isnt even legit in the MMA world.

Personally I think all professional athletes deserve to be where they are if they put in the hard work which they must have if they got to the level they are at. So to say who is the best athlete in the world is would be foolish. All sports have gifted athletes and I enjoy watching them all perform feats of athleticism I could only dream of.
AchillesHeel
3/8/07 1:16:18PM
Oh, an amusing anecdote: There was an episode of "Pros vs. Joes" that featured Jose Canseco, Michael Irvin, Kevin Willis, and Randy Couture. When the three "Joes" were introduced, they had all sorts of smack-talk for each of the "Pros" ...except one.

Of the four professional athletes, only one of them had the regular guys wetting their pants. I'll give you one guess who it was...