Why are people so hell bent on hating brock?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why are people so hell bent on hating brock?
Naturaldisaster
8/11/08 12:22:51AM
Ok people seem to hate brock lesnar. But why?
reason 1. People dont like him because he was in wwe.
My arguement. Who really cares? Ken Shamrock was in wwe. People dont complain about that. There are so many fighters who have been pro wrestlers. Shamrock, ron waterman, Randleman, Barnett, And SO many japanese fighters. Quick note, Rampage Jackson was goin to be a pro wrestler, but then he got into mma. Gonna bash him for that?

Reason 2. He doesnt deserve to be in Ufc
My arguement. Why do people dislike him for that? If your gonna be mad about that should you be mad at dana white? ufc asked brock to come fight for them. Was brock supposed to say no? Hell no, every single one of you know if you were in brock situation you would have been thrilled.

Reason 3. His post fight actions.
my arguement. If your gonna hate brock for what he did then heres a list of fighters you should hate. Matt Hughes and sean Sherk for laughin at GSP after losing to Serra. Brock laughes at herring and everyone crys about it, Hughes and sherk laugh at GSP and nobody really says anything. Spencer fisher acted like an idiot, in the fight with wiman. at the end of round was he pushes wiman and does a little idiotic dance against him. Tito ortiz for flippin off his opponent and taunting them. Rich Clementi for acting like an ass after the fight with melvin and then slappin his crotch on the back of melvins head. Kendall Grove for doin the little tito burrying his opponents career thing after his fights. Cabbage for Doin the cabbage Patch and flippin off tank abbotts corner and almost starting a brawl. BJ Penn for licking his opponents blood.

I mean seriously, do people wake up every morning and think "how can I hate on brock lesnar today"? Give the guy so credit
SpiderSilva
8/11/08 12:28:27AM
I like him

I think he sells tix like only the best(Tito & Chuck) and has more potential than 90% of the HW up and comers out there and he showed it in his last fight. sure his stand up isn't the best hes a ground fighter and that where he likes to be.
skatenate
8/11/08 12:29:00AM
he is one of my favourite fighters.

and i really dont see what all this talk is about, hes a decent fighter, and in time, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

watch out NOG.
candynuts
8/11/08 12:42:15AM
He's a heel. People love to hate him. He does have TONS of fans and TONS of haters, either way.. everyone wants to see him. Hell, im neutral on Lesnar and I was fired up after reading the polarization among the subject on forums.
Pitbull09
8/11/08 1:30:24AM
I dont hate or like him really. Hes got his first win so now he can be seen as a legit HW.

What I hated was all the fanboys on this forum before the Mir fight who were running their mouth off saying "Brock will kill MIr", "It doesnt matter that Mir knows BJJ, Brock will kill MIr." No matter how many times a lto of us told them that Brock would lose to a first round submission, no one would hear it even though it went exactly that way.

Herring was a good matchup for Brock and thats why I picked him. He is a long way I think from beating Werdum or Nog because of their BJJ but he will have some victories prob with Kongo or Gonzaga. Maybe in a couple years if he improves his striking and BJJ (defense), he will have a shot a the title.

The HW division is still very behind though with its fighters. Many can jsut depend on their strength and size but soon it will evolve and have fighters a well balanced as Anderson SIlva, BJ Penn, and GSP (Like Fedor)

EDIT- Also how can't you understand why people dont like him after the way he disrespected Herring at the end of the fight.
GSP (WW Chamionn) dominated Fitch and he was completely humble after, Brock (Guy with 1-1 record) chose to make an ass of himself over one win.
Naturaldisaster
8/11/08 1:42:09AM

Posted by Pitbull09

I dont hate or like him really. Hes got his first win so now he can be seen as a legit HW.

What I hated was all the fanboys on this forum before the Mir fight who were running their mouth off saying "Brock will kill MIr", "It doesnt matter that Mir knows BJJ, Brock will kill MIr." No matter how many times a lto of us told them that Brock would lose to a first round submission, no one would hear it even though it went exactly that way.

Herring was a good matchup for Brock and thats why I picked him. He is a long way I think from beating Werdum or Nog because of their BJJ but he will have some victories prob with Kongo or Gonzaga. Maybe in a couple years if he improves his striking and BJJ (defense), he will have a shot a the title.

The HW division is still very behind though with its fighters. Many can jsut depend on their strength and size but soon it will evolve and have fighters a well balanced as Anderson SIlva, BJ Penn, and GSP (Like Fedor)

EDIT- Also how can't you understand why people dont like him after the way he disrespected Herring at the end of the fight.
GSP (WW Chamionn) dominated Fitch and he was completely humble after, Brock (Guy with 1-1 record) chose to make an ass of himself over one win.

I really didnt think the way he acted was that bad. He was excited because he won his 1st UFC fight. and he was just havin fun. its not like he got in herrings face and talked shit or flipped him off or anything. he Roped him lol. its really not that bad
soundboy1
8/11/08 1:43:17AM
He was a dick to a guy that could have slipped him and beat him. Finish a guy if you are going to be cocky.
Naturaldisaster
8/11/08 1:49:47AM

Posted by soundboy1

He was a dick to a guy that could have slipped him and beat him. Finish a guy if you are going to be cocky.

Um 2 out of the 3 times they fought Big nog couldnt even finish herring.
murphy_16
8/11/08 1:51:35AM
i dont hate him either i think he has great potential but last nite he went a little wwf'ish and starting yelling you see me knoe which i didnt like
soundboy1
8/11/08 2:03:50AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by soundboy1

are you agreeing or disagreeing? My point was he didn't win the HW belt. He won the right to another fight.I just fele if he does not respect his opponents he has no future..........
Naturaldisaster
8/11/08 2:10:04AM

Posted by soundboy1

Posted by soundboy1

are you agreeing or disagreeing? My point was he didn't win the HW belt. He won the right to another fight.I just fele if he does not respect his opponents he has no future..........

You said finish him if your gonna be cocky. I was sayin that even nog couldnt finish him 2 times. He raped heath for 15 straight minutes. Heath is no push over, he's fought the top competition. I think He has a great future. Who's gonna be able to stop his take downs? I dont think anyone can. and I dont see him gettin caught in a sub again. He was murderin Mir until he made that mistake
Pitbull09
8/11/08 2:18:42AM

Posted by soundboy1

Big Nog did not rope Herring and ride him. I had a problem with him also with how cocky he was before he even fought mir. He seriously must think that he is better than any HW. Also if it wasnt that bad, why did he fail to talk to Herring after at all. Herring was humiliated and Lesnar rubbed it in.
Drudinh
8/11/08 2:25:50AM
For me it's personal. I don't necessarily hate him as a fighter but he has more to prove as far as MMA goes. To me Wrestling has produced some greats and don’t have a problem with a wrestler wanting to actually fight for realz. Personally though he's a jerk and cheated so much in school on papers or exams and teachers passed him along because of who he is. I'd like to see him read in front of people cuz I've personally seen it before and it is hilarious.
Naturaldisaster
8/11/08 2:54:45AM

Posted by Drudinh

For me it's personal. I don't necessarily hate him as a fighter but he has more to prove as far as MMA goes. To me Wrestling has produced some greats and don’t have a problem with a wrestler wanting to actually fight for realz. Personally though he's a jerk and cheated so much in school on papers or exams and teachers passed him along because of who he is. I'd like to see him read in front of people cuz I've personally seen it before and it is hilarious.

Teachers passed him for who he is? He wasnt anyone back then lol,
MikeyG
8/11/08 3:56:52AM
(1) Not living up to the potential he possesses:

He uses mostly strength tactics, its kinda boring.

(2) He's too cocky for only having 3 fights:

Maybe he needs another reality check from a JJ expert like Werdum or an overall better fighter than him like Fedor (who he called a "pussy") or maybe he'll mature from this win and get some decent ground work and standup with a good camp.

(3) The c***sword tattoo:

It's just hard to take a man seriously with that tat.

(4) Possible steroid user:

It's well known pro wrestlers have used steroids cough benoit cough, its not even a good question as to wheather he did use them because its in the past and we wont ever know but the whole "He was in the WWE" dosnt help his case against it either.

...Other than that I could care less and wish him luck like all the badasses ready to step into the cage.
mrsmiley
8/11/08 10:52:48AM
I like Brock.I liked him in the WWE too.

I think a lot of people just get uneasy knowing their's a former WWE champion that could potentialy become an MMA champion as well.I believe a lot of fans are afraid of UFC getting lumped in with WWE.I think in time,we will see what happened in Japan occuring in America as well.More wrestlers will make the crossover,and in the end it will be good for the sport.A lot of money will come in.I think a lot of MMA fans associate sports with sports,and pro wrestling with something else all together.
sparky
8/11/08 11:13:08AM
personally i dislike brock lesnar and it is for the simple fact that.........he seen the sport of mma blow up and now he wants in.........hes money hungry.........i like the fighters that are in it for the sport the fighters that jus love to compete......

now im not sayin brock lesnar isnt worthy of bein there i jus believe he got into mma bcuz he seen it blowing up and figured he was a big name ppl would pay to see him..........quick cash in my eyes!!!!
KYGUY07
8/11/08 2:15:45PM

My arguement. Who really cares? Ken Shamrock was in wwe. People dont complain about that. There are so many fighters who have been pro wrestlers. Shamrock, ron waterman, Randleman, Barnett, And SO many japanese fighters. Quick note, Rampage Jackson was goin to be a pro wrestler, but then he got into mma. Gonna bash him for that?

My arguement. Why do people dislike him for that? If your gonna be mad about that should you be mad at dana white? ufc asked brock to come fight for them. Was brock supposed to say no? Hell no, every single one of you know if you were in brock situation you would have been thrilled.

my arguement. If your gonna hate brock for what he did then heres a list of fighters you should hate. Matt Hughes and sean Sherk for laughin at GSP after losing to Serra. Brock laughes at herring and everyone crys about it, Hughes and sherk laugh at GSP and nobody really says anything. Spencer fisher acted like an idiot, in the fight with wiman. at the end of round was he pushes wiman and does a little idiotic dance against him. Tito ortiz for flippin off his opponent and taunting them. Rich Clementi for acting like an ass after the fight with melvin and then slappin his crotch on the back of melvins head. Kendall Grove for doin the little tito burrying his opponents career thing after his fights. Cabbage for Doin the cabbage Patch and flippin off tank abbotts corner and almost starting a brawl. BJ Penn for licking his opponents blood.

I mean seriously, do people wake up every morning and think "how can I hate on brock lesnar today"? Give the guy so credit

Actually your reason 2 is wrong Brock came to Dana and asked to fight in the ufc, it wasnt the ufc that came up to brock and was like we have to have you right now, Dana told Brock that he should go fight in smaller shows and learn how to fight.
Naturaldisaster
8/11/08 3:11:05PM

Posted by KYGUY07

Actually your reason 2 is wrong Brock came to Dana and asked to fight in the ufc, it wasnt the ufc that came up to brock and was like we have to have you right now, Dana told Brock that he should go fight in smaller shows and learn how to fight.

Oh I didnt know that
Naturaldisaster
8/11/08 3:12:33PM

Posted by sparky

personally i dislike brock lesnar and it is for the simple fact that.........he seen the sport of mma blow up and now he wants in.........hes money hungry.........i like the fighters that are in it for the sport the fighters that jus love to compete......

now im not sayin brock lesnar isnt worthy of bein there i jus believe he got into mma bcuz he seen it blowing up and figured he was a big name ppl would pay to see him..........quick cash in my eyes!!!!

Money hungry? He was makin alot more in wwe than he does in ufc
pv3Hpv3p
8/11/08 5:47:59PM

The reason this bothers me more with Brock than it does with other fighters, is because it seems like he's turning MMA or at least the UFC into the WWE... The same goes for when I see him speaking in interwiews, it just sounds like he's putting on his WWE persona, and I don't think that jives with the UFC... Hell it doesn' t even jive with their slogan "as real as it gets"...

The other reason is that I think a lot of people don't like him, and why I am wary to jump on the bandwagon, is that he could end up having a really boring style... There's not a lot of people that want to watch fights like OBrien / Herring or Koscheck / Joslin, etc...
pv3Hpv3p
8/11/08 5:51:33PM

Posted by sparky

I can't really agree with this... Brock is an athlete, and seems very competitive... I think his choices were either sit around all day, go back to the WWE, or use his abilities to further test himself, like in MMA...

If you look at life, everyone is doing stuff for money, that's how the thing works... And for those people that say money doesn't mean anything to them, they are either too young to understand what they're talking about or simply had the benefit of never having to go without...
Jackelope
8/11/08 11:07:03PM
1) His skills are lacking. He has great wrestling, good cardio and a very powerful body. I guarantee you on a pound for pound list he is not even near ranked top 100. His JJ will take a very long time to develop and so will his standup skills. I respect the fact that he's trained his body to be so powerful and athletic but were he any weight class other than HW he wouldn't threaten the title at all. He's just simply at the top of a weight class that has a 60 lb. range and fortunately for him being a freakishly strong and good wrestler translates very well when you have that much size advantage.

2) First of all- Matt Hughes and Sean Sherk may have laughed out of surprise (because really.. who wasn't surprised?) but even if they were laughing at GSP they were in the crowd. To me there's a difference when you laugh at someone in the Octagon as a fan compared to when you fight someone when it comes to disrespect. Not to mention they're both legends of the sport who have put their time in. It's quite a bit different when you're new blood and you disrespect a veteran of the sport. It's like a Private making fun of a General because he did better than him on a physical training test. Generals can make fun of Generals, but try that shit as a private and your ass will be on extra duty for weeks. If Brock wants to be taken seriously and garner some respect from the hardcores then he should show the sport some reverence, not disrespect. If he wants to be taken as a heel and a disrespectful jerk then he's on the right track. Personally, I like fighters who show respect in defeat and in victory. Look at Huerta vs. Florian and Fitch vs. GSP for two prime examples from that night.

3) I dislike that the WWE has entered our sport on such magnitude. I dislike that apparently a former member of the WWE has carried his attitude over. For the record I dislike Ken Shamrock, too. I think he and Brock Lesnar are both mental midgets. Not meant as a disrespect to either of them, but I think if you take an honest look at the way both of these men speak you can tell they're not the brightest crayons in the box.

4) He yanked the mic out of Joe's hands like Joe was some kind of Mean Gene Okerland or something. Really, come on now.

I could go on, but there are four solid reasons.
breakdown5
8/11/08 11:08:00PM
I'm not a big fan of Lesnar, but there is no denying that the guy is an animal. He crushed Herring from the first punch until the end of the third. Was anyone really surprised after the Herring vs. O'brien fight, that Lesnar (a better wrestler and stronger fighter) was able to maintain top position and beat on Herring. Herring is susceptible to high level wrestlers. IMO, Herring was hand picked to fight Lesnar for this very reason.
Rush
8/11/08 11:16:05PM
I'm not speaking for myself because I am indifferent towards him, but I think the bottom line is that people hate him because is from the WWE. Those people probably feel the legitimacy of MMA is threatened by Brock's presence. I don't know if it is fear of MMA's image being intertwined with WWE or if they are worried that Brock might embarrass some top fighters. Do people not want to admit that a professional wrestler can do what their coveted MMA fighters can do? I really don't know for sure.

As far as how Brock acts, I feel it is no different than a number of other MMA fighters. I am sure if he was just some amateur wrester prior to doing MMA, he would not get the same flak he gets right now.
Buddharox
8/13/08 3:45:31AM
I like how people compare the Japanese pro wrestling to WWE. They're totally different. Most of the Japanese pro wrestlers come from shoot wrestling backgrounds, which has actual submission techniques opposed to WWE's style which is all for show.
telnights
8/13/08 5:59:01AM
I agree with most I think most people dislike him for his time in the WWE. I don't think he is hurting MMA at all in fact if anything he is getting fans from pro wrestling to come watch MMA. More fans is not a bad thing. But I can see why some are worried but I don't think their worriers are very sound. Its not like its this mass of WWE stars coming over to MMA. Brock was in the WWE but before that he was a NCAA HW champion in wrestling. That's a better back ground than some of the top fighters in MMA have. So he has a very solid foundation to build on. The guy is already scary imagine how scary he will be in 2 years. I thought for sure after the win over Herring that people would start seeing him as a fighter and not WWE star. It seams to mainly be the hardcore fans. But you would think after his last win they would start seeing him differently. Your hardcore fans know Herring isn't some can they got to fight Lesnar. Brock beat Herring in everyway he could. He beat him in the standing, In the clinch, and on the ground. But even after this they just found all new reasons to hate on the guy. I don't know what more people expect from the guy just after 3 fights.
gsquat
8/14/08 11:40:35AM

Posted by soundboy1

Not true. Tito made a career out of disrespecting his opponents. In a business like this you need villans. It creates drama that sells and makes the good guys look even better when they win
casey64
8/14/08 11:46:55AM
I like him.