Why do people hate rashad?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why do people hate rashad?
Naturaldisaster
2/25/10 5:16:20PM
I mean seriously, everytime the guy fights or is shown in the crowd people boo him. he's one of my top 5 favorite fighters, i just dont get it
mkiv9secsupra
2/25/10 6:03:13PM
He is too cocky and not nearly as good as the UFC makes him appear. Thats the general consensus about him.
chickmagnet
2/25/10 6:51:55PM
I personally have great respect for Rashad. Ive met people who know him and they say hes a nice guy. I wasn't to partial to him at first, but now I like his style and I hope the best for him when he fights Rampage.

I'll be picking Rashad to win.
sparky
2/25/10 7:04:04PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I mean seriously, everytime the guy fights or is shown in the crowd people boo him. he's one of my top 5 favorite fighters, i just dont get it

Ive been saying the same thing bro for years now!!!!!!
TimW001
2/25/10 7:13:25PM
I think Rashad is a really classy guy. I don't understand the hate either. I actually really like him as a person.
State_Champ
2/25/10 7:23:07PM
I don't really dislike him...I just never want him to win. I feel the same way about GSP.
I think it must be their fighting styles that bother me but idk

Edit: I do dislike him as a fighter. Especially after that fight with Thiago..
Naturaldisaster
2/25/10 8:11:41PM
he seems like a classy, extremely friendly guy to me. and hes hilarious. He's one of the best fighters in the world IMO. The guy came in as nothing but a wrestler, and couldnt finish a fight, and he completely changed his style. He's now a devistating striker with great wrestling, whose only loss is to one of the pound for pound best fighters in the world
kopower
2/25/10 8:44:40PM
Out of the ring he seems like a great guy. That especially showed on his coaching stint on tuf. He's just a bit too cocky in the ring at times. The grabbing of his package during the Forrest fight is an example. I don't mind him, but the whole Forrest and Machida incidents bothered me.
SmileR
2/25/10 8:57:35PM
I think its mainly to do with his cockiness and the fact that the UFC have built him up to be a top 5 LHW when he isn't.
I understand Anderson showboating and even guys like King Mo who have built a reputation around being cocky and also being able to finish fights, but Rashad has had a run of luck in MMA that I have never seen before. He split deaccessioned Bisping and fluked a fight with Ortiz and he started to believe his own hype.
He showboats even when he's losing and comes across as arrogant and cocky when interviewed.
The Forrest fight is a particular sore point with me as he was behind on points but still showboated, which, in all honestly would have cost him the match had Forrest not broke his hand.
I also don't agree with people saying he's a devastating/hugely powerful striker. He's only ever KO'd a aged Chuck an injured Forrest and Lambert.

But I'm not a fan of his so my opinion will be bias.
sbulldavid
2/25/10 9:32:57PM
I find him annoying often, but I enjoy watching his fights, I think he's overrated but he is a guy that finds ways to win and you can't take that away from him. Let him be and let Frank Mir say whatever is on his mind.
Naturaldisaster
2/25/10 9:38:05PM

Posted by SmileR

I think its mainly to do with his cockiness and the fact that the UFC have built him up to be a top 5 LHW when he isn't.
I understand Anderson showboating and even guys like King Mo who have built a reputation around being cocky and also being able to finish fights, but Rashad has had a run of luck in MMA that I have never seen before. He split deaccessioned Bisping and fluked a fight with Ortiz and he started to believe his own hype.
He showboats even when he's losing and comes across as arrogant and cocky when interviewed.
The Forrest fight is a particular sore point with me as he was behind on points but still showboated, which, in all honestly would have cost him the match had Forrest not broke his hand.
I also don't agree with people saying he's a devastating/hugely powerful striker. He's only ever KO'd a aged Chuck an injured Forrest and Lambert.

He also Had that beautiful Head Kick again Salmon.
and he did beat forrest, and not tryin to argue with you or nothin but it doesnt matter that forrest broke his hand because after all it is a fight, and in fights people do get injured
warglory
2/27/10 1:38:13AM

Posted by SmileR

How can you say he's not top 5? He beat Forrest and he beat Silva, who else does he have to beat in the division to be recognized as a top 5 fighter?
Pookie
2/27/10 1:53:02AM
Yeah on paper he beat three top ten talent fighters(at the time) in Chuck, Forrest And Thiago.
But when you look closer into it, Chucks reflexes have faded beyond repair, Forrest was whooping him while he was injured, and He did almost no damage whatsoever against a severly injured thiago silva. Holding someone down and not doing anything with it doesnt merit anything to me in general, but doing so against a guy with an injured back gives you even less points.

And like Smiler said, Bisping almost beat him, He barely squeeked by tito, and the rest of career is literred with easy match-ups.

What has he actually proven about his skill level in the octagon? To me not very much.
NatedawgThaM
2/27/10 2:17:07AM
I was slowly becoming fan has he started growing as a fight and became more devastating on the feet. I blame my dislike for him on the fact that he's beefin with my favorite fighter haha can't have that! Like I'm sure many GSP fans disliked Serra, and the way Randy & fedor fans use to hate each other when they were suppose to fight. Gotta stay loyal!
king_katool
2/27/10 9:39:04AM

Posted by Pookie

, He barely squeeked by tito,

was i the only person to watch this fight?? EVERY1 says well he shoudlve lost to tito, are you joking?? TITO squeeked by rashad, look what happen to tito when he stopped grabbing the fence, rashad dumped him on his head and pounded him, if tito didnt cheat and grab the fence 4-5 times rashad wouldve done the same thing in the 2cd winning the fight

people hatred for rashad is so strong he'll always be the underdog, but thats ok he likes it, i cant wait for the excuses when he beats page, i can alrdy see them

rampage wasnt there mentally, ring rust, blah blah blah blah

WAR RASHAD EVANS
Kpro
2/27/10 2:58:11PM
Although I agree with most of the above reasons why some may not like Rashad. He does act cocky in the ring, sometimes at the wrong times.

But I'm pretty sure the main reason why is because of his opponents and fight outcomes.

Liddell was many fans' favorite fighter at the time and it's normal to immediately dislike whoever knocks them out and does a celebration dance. Then he goes on to face Forrest, another huge fan favorite.

Not only that, but he's now locked in a feud with Rampage, another upper echelon fan favorite.

He's just happened to have his career defining moments in and out of the ring be on the opposite end of 3 of the most popular UFC 205'ers in history.

His personality came out on TUF and gained him many fans, and I think as time progresses and he faces others in the division he'll leave the role as the heel.
mkiv9secsupra
2/27/10 7:00:42PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by Pookie

was i the only person to watch this fight?? EVERY1 says well he shoudlve lost to tito, are you joking??

have you seen Rashad face anyone challenging?!?!?!?! he was getting his ass handed to him by liddell(which everyone seems to forget). he was getting mauled by forrest until he injured himself. tito had won 2 of 3 rounds before he cheated so even if tito hadnt grabbed the cage Rashad was going to lose. Rashad has never dominated anyone that matters and THAT IS A FACT. he cant be a successful champion and he believes he is the best... he is too cocky. people hate rashad because he is not really a top 10 LHW but he acts like he is
king_katool
2/27/10 7:26:14PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by king_katool

Posted by Pookie

was i the only person to watch this fight?? EVERY1 says well he shoudlve lost to tito, are you joking??

have you seen Rashad face anyone challenging?!?!?!?! he was getting his ass handed to him by liddell(which everyone seems to forget). he was getting mauled by forrest until he injured himself. tito had won 2 of 3 rounds before he cheated so even if tito hadnt grabbed the cage Rashad was going to lose. Rashad has never dominated anyone that matters and THAT IS A FACT. he cant be a successful champion and he believes he is the best... he is too cocky. people hate rashad because he is not really a top 10 LHW but he acts like he is

every1 says o he was losing to 'enter name" before " enter what rashad did to win" blah blah blah, i seem to remember one of the greatest HWs in the world making of career of getting his ass kicked and pulling out the W, but of course because rashad get hate he does it and he still sucks
Naturaldisaster
2/28/10 3:26:12PM

Posted by Pookie

Yeah on paper he beat three top ten talent fighters(at the time) in Chuck, Forrest And Thiago.
But when you look closer into it, Chucks reflexes have faded beyond repair, Forrest was whooping him while he was injured, and He did almost no damage whatsoever against a severly injured thiago silva. Holding someone down and not doing anything with it doesnt merit anything to me in general, but doing so against a guy with an injured back gives you even less points.

And like Smiler said, Bisping almost beat him, He barely squeeked by tito, and the rest of career is literred with easy match-ups.

What has he actually proven about his skill level in the octagon? To me not very much.

The guy was the smallest fighter out of the HW's on TUF and he won the show, that should mean something. he wasnt very impressive but no one came close to beating him. and Mike Whitehead was the favorite to win the show and he didnt do ANYTHING to rashad
Naturaldisaster
2/28/10 3:32:52PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by king_katool

Posted by Pookie

I hate those excuses. Well forrest was beatin him up but then broke his hand and got knocked out, SO what! Rashad won! he knocked forrest out. its about who wins and rashad wins. Liddell is my favorite fighter ever but how can anyone say liddell was beatin rashads ass? only a few punches from either of them landed during that whole fight. If rashad isnt a top 10 LHW, then neither is Liddell, Forrest, or Silva.

Big Nog gets his ass kicked every fight, but comes back and wins most of the time. Does that make him not a top 10 HW?
LotusLoo
3/2/10 2:30:29AM
Rashad may be a nice guy outside of the octagon, but in it, he is disliked because he is cocky and a showoff. The example that best sticks in my head is Rashad vs. Forrest...
While I respect Rashad as a fighter, stoking his privates and then blowing a kiss is hardly respect-worthy behavior. As a result, "Booooooo!"