Why people should change their opinions on Dana White, and Matt Hughes.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why people should change their opinions on Dana White, and Matt Hughes.
POLL: Your opinion of these two?
They both are cool 41% (23)
Dana is cool / Matt is an ass 27% (15)
Dana is an ass / Matt is cool 14% (8)
They both are asses 18% (10)
Scott_Revels
10/24/07 11:39:00PM
This might not apply to everyone so if you read the next line and already think this way, then you can stop reading. I think that people should start hating Hughes, and loving White. Let's start with Dana White first.

Dana White:

This guy gets a lot of shit thrown his way because the one random unhappy fighter leaves the UFC and gets a shit load of interviews where he can blast Dana White and the UFC. All the while, most of the criticism is unjust. Do people remember when guys applaud Dana White and the UFC for giving them the opportunity they are given? Not really. You might point out the bad things Dana White does, but then you have to even them out with the good things he does. When Floyd Mayweather bashed the world of MMA, who sent out an invitation to Mayweather to fight Sherk? Dana White? Sure some people could say it's all for financial gain, but I would perfer to think that he did it because he loves this sport to much to have it bashed like that.

Think about the cases of Stephan Bonnar and Ed Herman. Both guys put on a hell of a fight in their respective Finale fights, and lost. Instead of being like, "guess what boys, you need to work your way up from the bottom", he gave them both contracts. He didn't have to do that. What about the whole Bad Blood thing with Tito? He seriously didn't have to make that boxing match with Tito. Forget that it didn't ever happen, think about that he was willing to give that to Tito, just so he could please the fans and have Tito return. This same thing goes for the whole Randy situation. Some people see Dana stopping Randy from going anywhere else as being jealous, but I see it as making sure that us as fans see Randy finish his career fighting talents.

You can't blame Dana for not getting Fedor, because it's a two way street. I know it was Arroyo's idea, but Dana didn't have to get both those guys $5000. That was out of the pure goodness of his heart, and for the sport. There are other things that Dana has done that have benefited the company and the sport so much more than what he's done that went bad.

On the other hand...

Matt Hughes:

I don't like the guy. I know there aren't many people who find him to be a good guy but there are people out there who do not . This guy is so rude, and so bad for the sport. He's maniacal, and egotistical. He believes that if your not as good as him, then your worthless. I'm tired of him treating people so badly. What happened with Barrera was so bully like. Sure he's teaching him a lesson, but guess what? You punish him by making him work longer than the other guys. If you have to roll around with him, then don't work it like your defending a title or your life. Matt could've easily ended Barrera's chance, before he even got a chance to lose it. Then we'd never have seen that great fight. Then what about him arguing with the judges?

Matt Serra either wasn't as rude, not warranting being shown, or didn't go over there at all, but that doesn't matter because Matt lost it. Judges can be blind at some points, but you don't mock them, because they could hold grudges and you'll never know. One of those Judges could judge one of his upcoming fights, and 'accidently' remove a point from his score changing a whole fight. I doubt it'll happen but you can't tell what someone will do when angry, or with a grudge. Now what makes me the most angry is seeing the preview of the next episode and seeing Hughes even consider quitting. YOU DON'T QUIT. You signed on to teach these guys. They could lose all their fights, but guess what, you stick around and teach them to be better. If he has to punish his guys for losing so much, then punish them, but you never give up on them. That's the lowest of the low, and if you still have any respect for this guy, you are either his biggest fan, or mentally retarded to the world of MMA.

I hope I changed someone's mind, because one guy has a heart for this sport, and the other guy has no heart.

- Scott Revels
TheHitmanTL
10/24/07 11:50:27PM
honestley after seeing that episode...i have lost a lot of respect for hughes....what lesson is being learned if he does what barrera did to that guy back to him?? do two wrongs make a right??? i like to think not...i really hope serra wins and im not looking forward to the next episode watching matt hughes torture his guys and threaten to quit and i bet dana is pissed at hell at matt for wanting to quit.

as for dana...i like what he is doing i believe that dana is definetly good for the sport and i hope he continues to put on good shows
NatedawgThaM
10/24/07 11:59:34PM
I said "Both are cool". I give Dana heat alot but he's done ALOT for the sport. It's just some stupid moves he makes like doing the TUF 6 for WW's in an already MEGA STACKED WW division & also giving the winner of Rashad/Bispin a Title shot!! BS!!!

but hes done ALOT for the sport and put both Tito & Chuck at the top! Plus he makes for excellent TV and gets the UFC mad money...props to him..

I don't know why your being so hard on Matt though. THAT DECISION WAS BS!!! I would have argued TOO!!! Think of it from his point of view. You hate Matt Serra. You want the WW title. You agree to a reality show to let your fighters beat Serra's fighters BUT your fighters keep losing and are making you look bad. I like Matt Hughes since I admit I go to church and stuff and he tryed to show them the bible since other then saving people the bible has lot of SMART and MEANINGFUL passages that Dan Barrera shares a lot. Then Matt Serra DISSED a whole religion being pissed off he's showing people things form the bible. SCREW HIM!

Matt is a beast and the most dominant WW of all time! Yeah he is one dimensional and is past his prime but he's still a cool guy too. Barrera was being too rough. I know guys at my MMA place who go all out and NEED to be taught a lesson. SAVE IT FOR YOUR OPPONENT! NOT YOUR SPARRING PARTNERS!!! I'm glad Matt did it. Yeah it was brutal but Barrera admitted a man nevers likes to be correct meaning he knew he was in the wrong!!!

The judges need to all be fired...They all suck and cost great fighters or up and coming fighters great fights. Thats why I HATE watching counterpunchers because they always go the distance usually and that puts too much presure on the refs. "do you give it to the aggressor or the counterpuncher for hitting more?"

There both pretty cool in my book...
tuvok500
10/25/07 12:11:42AM
well, i think dana is a good guy and that he try his best to bring good fighter in ufc and to give a good show for the fans !!

but, i am not going to tell that hugues is a asshole like you did.
the guy is trying to help his team to have succes and maybe to help a guy to win a big contract in the ufc.

it is clear now that his team is not what he was thinking about when he picks it, but we have to understand that these supposely fighter are not listenning to anything hugues is trying to teach them, they may listen but in the octogon, it is like if they were not trained at all.

i understand why hugues is so pissed off , he hate serra like me, and he see is face laughing after each ******* fight !!!

it make me remenber the TUF 5 when penn was screaming " take him down, take him down " and the stupid guy was doing nothing.

we are assisting at a slowly drifting of the TUF, from real fighter in TUF 1 to 3, to somekind of reality tv guy who are not even close to be call a fighter.

before calling someone like hugues a asshole, well, you should look at yourself closely, maybe you are not much better yourself man !!

roman
10/25/07 12:29:50AM
They are both asses
postman
10/25/07 1:58:29AM
Im'm not sure if you guys train but where I train if I was trowing punches at a guy with no pads on the ground ( not to mention the worst guy on my team) the samething would happen to me. There are rules to keep ppl safe, if you are breaking them then you are for sure going to get worked over.
mikeyGdizzle
10/25/07 2:01:35AM
i will never like matt hughes
Raiderz757
10/25/07 5:11:34AM
ive never liked matt hughes. dana is cool most of the time
cowcatcher
10/25/07 11:43:53AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

if you still have any respect for this guy, you are either his biggest fan, or mentally retarded to the world of MMA.

- Scott Revels

i have a lot of respect for matt hughes, am i retarded??????? the guy is a fantastic fighter and will go down as the most dominant WW ever.
as far as him teaching barerra a lesson, im guessing youve never participated or coached in a combat sport because that is commonplace, and didnt shock or bother me at all. when i coached HS wrestling id work guys over that were screwing up one way or another. when you do that you arent trying to hurt them or bully them, but let them know that they arent that good yet where they dont have to put in hard work or pick on smaller or less talented members of the team.
hes a jocko through and through and that turns off some people, especially those who were picked on by the same type of people or havent spent time playing sports and locker rooms where most of the guys act like him. im not saying he has a great attitude, but its a fairly typical "jock" personality.
for the record i think that both dana and matt are good guys, their personalities just arent for everyone, and when youre on tv youve got to realize that they edit it and dont show all the good moments because it doesnt make for as good of tv as the bad stuff.
matt quitting or contemplating it isnt cool, but im thinking part of it is to light a fire under his last 2 fighters butts. just wondering, what are your thoughts on randy quitting? i hope you chastize him too, otherwise thats totally hypocritical and your post loses credibility.
tuvok500
10/25/07 12:11:09PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Scott_Revels

if you still have any respect for this guy, you are either his biggest fan, or mentally retarded to the world of MMA.

- Scott Revels

i have a lot of respect for matt hughes, am i retarded??????? the guy is a fantastic fighter and will go down as the most dominant WW ever.
as far as him teaching barerra a lesson, im guessing youve never participated or coached in a combat sport because that is commonplace, and didnt shock or bother me at all. when i coached HS wrestling id work guys over that were screwing up one way or another. when you do that you arent trying to hurt them or bully them, but let them know that they arent that good yet where they dont have to put in hard work or pick on smaller or less talented members of the team.
hes a jocko through and through and that turns off some people, especially those who were picked on by the same type of people or havent spent time playing sports and locker rooms where most of the guys act like him. im not saying he has a great attitude, but its a fairly typical "jock" personality.
for the record i think that both dana and matt are good guys, their personalities just arent for everyone, and when youre on tv youve got to realize that they edit it and dont show all the good moments because it doesnt make for as good of tv as the bad stuff.
matt quitting or contemplating it isnt cool, but im thinking part of it is to light a fire under his last 2 fighters butts. just wondering, what are your thoughts on randy quitting? i hope you chastize him too, otherwise thats totally hypocritical and your post loses credibility.

no need to comment here !!!

Jackelope
10/25/07 12:12:01PM
LOL cowcatcher, I have to spread the love but props to you

Anyway guys, I totally agree with the Hughes "beat down" on Barrera. First of all, the guys he was beating on had recently come off of losses and definitely didn't need that shit for team morale. Second of all, when you're in training you're supposed to be learning in a technical format, not with aggression. Save that shit for the real opponents. Third- no one wants to get hurt in practice, and that kind of behavior will end up getting you hurt. Just take a look at the fact that Matt went hard on Dan and Dan ended up getting a swollen hand out of the deal.

Dana has his shining moments and last night was one of them. A lot of the time he'll give respect where respect is due, but that's only if it furthers his own gameplan. A great show put on by two guys improves his ratings and puts money in his pocket.. so why not give away a bonus?

On a side note: I do find it funny how they addressed the Couture issue on UFC Unleashed by showing his fight against Tim Sylvia and talking him up. Not really sure what that was about.
TNunley
10/25/07 12:20:34PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I said "Both are cool". I give Dana heat alot but he's done ALOT for the sport. It's just some stupid moves he makes like doing the TUF 6 for WW's in an already MEGA STACKED WW division & also giving the winner of Rashad/Bispin a Title shot!! BS!!!

Agreed, if the winner of Bisping/Evans gets a title shot I'll be pissed.... is this true? Hadn't heard that.

I don't know why your being so hard on Matt though. THAT DECISION WAS BS!!! I would have argued TOO!!! Think of it from his point of view. You hate Matt Serra. You want the WW title. You agree to a reality show to let your fighters beat Serra's fighters BUT your fighters keep losing and are making you look bad. I like Matt Hughes since I admit I go to church and stuff and he tryed to show them the bible since other then saving people the bible has lot of SMART and MEANINGFUL passages that Dan Barrera shares a lot. Then Matt Serra DISSED a whole religion being pissed off he's showing people things form the bible. SCREW HIM!

Whether the decision was B/S or not... you do NOT do that. I don't think he gave 2 sh!ts about Barrerra... he didn't want the loss on his record. It wasn't about his fighter it was about him.
Agree to a reality show to let your fighters beat Serra's fighters? If he thought he could magically appear and all of the sudden fighters would perform better just because he's around that just goes to make me dislike him even more. It's the same attitude Shamrock had when he coached TUF 3 (and the same result too). They think that they KNOW how to coach and it's ALL the fighter's fault for losing. Fact of the matter is... Serra is a far superior coach to Matt Hughes. Hughes wanted to be a dick and say something about how Joe Scarola left because of "bad coaching".... it looks to me the only bad coach is Hughes.

The judges need to all be fired...They all suck and cost great fighters or up and coming fighters great fights. Thats why I HATE watching counterpunchers because they always go the distance usually and that puts too much presure on the refs. "do you give it to the aggressor or the counterpuncher for hitting more?"

Couldn't agree more... about the judges needing to be fired. Then again man, I wouldn't want that job... you make a decision on a close fight and someone doesn't see it the same way as you... and it's your a$$. But what it really boils down to... if you're a fighter and you don't finish your fight... it is completely your fault that the judges had to make a decision. Every fighter should go into every fight finishing their fights... especially with the few bad decisions that have been made recently.
scoozna
10/25/07 1:04:21PM
I have Dana is cool but Matt is an ass. If there was a "mostly cool" option I'd have preferred that for Dana. He's done a lot, continues to do a lot, tries new things (TUF), has a heart (dual contracts, bonuses), etc...

But every week Matt Hughes does more damage to his image. Perhaps he does not care, he's not a politician after all. Calling him an "ass" cannot, however, take away his accomplishments both in the ring and out.

But the "Jock" that we get to see each week is definitely an ass.
JWils
10/25/07 2:22:59PM
I have no problem with people that dislike Matt Hughes. That is their choice. But, I feel that Hughes gets "hated" on way to much.

The man is a very straight forward, talented, hard working, extremely competitive man who lives by a strong belief system. Personally, I admire and respect that.

For some reason, Hughes can get people worked up more than any other personality in MMA. I think that's great for the sport. It's always good if people have a rooting interest one way or another.

I think these "Hughes is an a$$" threads are really dumb. So you don't like the guy, big deal. Just wait until he fights and root for him to get beat. (like I do with Koscheck) I feel people waste to much time bashing him.

Scott_Revels
10/25/07 2:24:05PM
Okay I take back the asshole thing, and the mentally retarded to MMA comments, it's just this guy had very little light in my eyes, and with last night's outburst and the previews, I lost it. I just couldn't stand the guy any longer for wanting to quit his team.

About the yelling at the judges. I think that was really immature. You didn't see Serra or Dana going up to them and yelling at them and making fun of him. I mean, Matt spent more time yelling at the judges than trying to support Dan for losing. Even Serra went in there and told Dan what a good job he did.

Usually I only dislike fighters. Nothing more than I just find them annoying to see. Hughes is different. I utterly want to see him disappear from my screen forever. He's a sore loser, and unless Mac can win the whole thing, he's going to publicly bash the whole TUF 6 season, and call it a waste of his time. Just think. Had GSP gotten an immediate rematch, and he had been the coach opposite to Hughes, do you think he'd be considering quitting now? Nope.

Also remember, it's just an opinion. I'm sure there are people out there with opinions I don't agree with. Just ignore them, and ignore me if you want. Okay? The only reason I got onto Hughes was because of his personality, character, and judgement.
TNunley
10/25/07 2:48:46PM
I recorded TUF last night, but my DVR cut off the last 30 seconds. I seen the part where it said something about Hughes considers quitting the team. Could someone please fill me on on what follows that?

Posted by JWils

I have no problem with people that dislike Matt Hughes. That is their choice. But, I feel that Hughes gets "hated" on way to much.

The man is a very straight forward, talented, hard working, extremely competitive man who lives by a strong belief system. Personally, I admire and respect that.

I respect the fact that he's your favorite fighter... and I also respect the fact that he is publicly a Christian and is not ashamed of his beliefs. What I do not like about him though is him talking bad about Serra because Serra trash talks... then he does the very same thing. Most recently the way he has treated the newer/younger fighters on his team. Especially following his little comments about how Joe Scarola left because of Matt Serra's poor coaching. Matt Serra has obviously proven he is a decent coach.
Where Matt gets me is his pissing and moaning about losing... he doesn't care that his fighters are losing, he cares that he's losing against Serra. His whole practice where he tried roughing the guys up after their loss was a complete asshole thing to do IMO. He did that supposadly because his guys weren't giving 100%. Then he jumped on Dan like that, just because the guy is enthusiastic and he actually was giving 100%. Then for him to talk about quitting, and yelling at the athletic commissioner??? What was that all about? I understand he's upset, but maybe he should have been more upset that his fighter left it to the judge.
His whole thing about his guys not following his gameplan.... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink... then again if you pet the horse, and work on trying to get it to drink without just tugging the reins... the horse is far more likely to drink. You can't just tell a fighter what to do, and expect him to do it once he takes a huge shot and goes into defensive mode. You can't just kick them when their down to try to make them listen... You have to be someone they can trust, show them the way... not just be a jerk when they don't follow your every word.

Posted by JWils
For some reason, Hughes can get people worked up more than any other personality in MMA. I think that's great for the sport. It's always good if people have a rooting interest one way or another.

I think these "Hughes is an a$$" threads are really dumb. So you don't like the guy, big deal. Just wait until he fights and root for him to get beat. (like I do with Koscheck) I feel people waste to much time bashing him.

I will have to disagree... I think Tito can get people more worked up than anyone. I will definitely have to agree about Kos though... I can't stand that guy!
Mastodon2
10/25/07 3:22:38PM
I don't like Dana. Sure he has done some good stuff for the sport, but he tries to squeeze the life out of everything that stands against his business and if he can't do that he slaps the UFC name on it. He wants to make sure everyone is fighting for him, and if they arent fighting for him then they arent fighting at all. At times, I think he is too tyrannical. Perhaps he doesn't believe that competition is good for everyone involved.

I think Matt Hughes is great though. People say that he can't motivate his team, but In all honesty I think the problem is theirs, not Matt's. matt is just the kind of guy that gets me motivated. He is tough, militaristic and doesn't give credit where credit is not due. He makes people work for his respect, and is critical of people when they do not perform. Like in series 2, when that HW (mike I think his name was) had a terrible performance, Matt basically said if thats how you want to fight, then we ain't doing this no more, if I don't think you have your heart and head in the game. When I think I deserve praise I like to get it, but when I've done bad and I know it, it just annoys me when people try to see the good in the failure, because I know I've done something badly and the only way to do it right next time is to train / study / work harder next time. Matt is straight up with everyone, he pulls no punches and doesn't coddle people or give them false hope, he is purely hard work and results based. That is imo, the way to make yourself the best you can be at whatever you set your mind on, and I respect Matt Hughes for that stoic, stubborn attitude in the face of doubters and soft touches.
dstlvb
10/25/07 3:24:18PM
My problem with Matt Hughes is his Hypocrasy. In the start of the season he says Serra is bad for the sport becasue Hughes cant let his children watch when he is on TV becuase of Serra language, yet doesnt seem to care that Dana White drops more F-Bombs when he is on scree nthat anyone. If hes not willing to call out Dana on this outrage then you dont tag Serra with it. As far as his attitude on the show, if he doesnt win he doesnt want to be there. What about being there to help his fighters progress, and tech them how to be proffesionals. For as much as everybody hates Tito, he was there win, lose or draw for his fighters. These guys are the future of the sport, and its almost like Matt Hughes is upset that there are making him look bad. Guys at that level are going to make mistakes and stray from gameplans. If they didnt they would be farther along. Its the coaches job to make them better fighters going out than when they came in.
JWils
10/25/07 3:33:14PM

Posted by TNunley

I recorded TUF last night, but my DVR cut off the last 30 seconds. I seen the part where it said something about Hughes considers quitting the team. Could someone please fill me on on what follows that?

Posted by JWils

I respect the fact that he's your favorite fighter... and I also respect the fact that he is publicly a Christian and is not ashamed of his beliefs. What I do not like about him though is him talking bad about Serra because Serra trash talks... then he does the very same thing. Most recently the way he has treated the newer/younger fighters on his team. Especially following his little comments about how Joe Scarola left because of Matt Serra's poor coaching. Matt Serra has obviously proven he is a decent coach.
Where Matt gets me is his pissing and moaning about losing... he doesn't care that his fighters are losing, he cares that he's losing against Serra. His whole practice where he tried roughing the guys up after their loss was a complete asshole thing to do IMO. He did that supposadly because his guys weren't giving 100%. Then he jumped on Dan like that, just because the guy is enthusiastic and he actually was giving 100%. Then for him to talk about quitting, and yelling at the athletic commissioner??? What was that all about? I understand he's upset, but maybe he should have been more upset that his fighter left it to the judge.
His whole thing about his guys not following his gameplan.... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink... then again if you pet the horse, and work on trying to get it to drink without just tugging the reins... the horse is far more likely to drink. You can't just tell a fighter what to do, and expect him to do it once he takes a huge shot and goes into defensive mode. You can't just kick them when their down to try to make them listen... You have to be someone they can trust, show them the way... not just be a jerk when they don't follow your every word.

Posted by JWils

I will have to disagree... I think Tito can get people more worked up than anyone. I will definitely have to agree about Kos though... I can't stand that guy!

Fair enough, man. I'm not saying Hughes is the coolest dude on the planet. I just don't understand all of the hate.

And yeah, you could be right with the Tito comment. He probably is public enemy # 1.
faille
10/25/07 3:36:54PM
Matt's cool, Dana is not
jocka
10/25/07 5:04:54PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Agreed, if the winner of Bisping/Evans gets a title shot I'll be pissed.... is this true? Hadn't heard that.

Whether the decision was B/S or not... you do NOT do that. I don't think he gave 2 sh!ts about Barrerra... he didn't want the loss on his record. It wasn't about his fighter it was about him.
Agree to a reality show to let your fighters beat Serra's fighters? If he thought he could magically appear and all of the sudden fighters would perform better just because he's around that just goes to make me dislike him even more. It's the same attitude Shamrock had when he coached TUF 3 (and the same result too). They think that they KNOW how to coach and it's ALL the fighter's fault for losing. Fact of the matter is... Serra is a far superior coach to Matt Hughes. Hughes wanted to be a dick and say something about how Joe Scarola left because of "bad coaching".... it looks to me the only bad coach is Hughes.

Couldn't agree more... about the judges needing to be fired. Then again man, I wouldn't want that job... you make a decision on a close fight and someone doesn't see it the same way as you... and it's your a$$. But what it really boils down to... if you're a fighter and you don't finish your fight... it is completely your fault that the judges had to make a decision. Every fighter should go into every fight finishing their fights... especially with the few bad decisions that have been made recently.

I saw a show on TV where they were talking to a judge, the judge was saying that when you look at the fight on tv and when you are ring side the fights are totally different. The angle ring side are not as good as on tv but you feel the power of the punches a lot more when you are ring side. A judge's job is real hard that why you should not go to them for a decision.
jocka
10/25/07 5:07:13PM
By the way Dana is cool but i can t stand Matt Hughes attitude, i respect what he did but hes pass his prime and he should stop acting like he is the best.
tuvok500
10/25/07 11:27:11PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by NatedawgThaM

well, this time i have to desagree !!!

you can't compare Hugues to Shamrock !!!! no no no !!!
man, Hugues is 100 times a better coach than Shamrock, they can't be compare by there style, there attitude , there dedication, it is like comparing an eagle with a tomato !!!! LOL

also, you say that Hugues has the same language of Serra , but you have to compare what they say and the way they say it, Serra is using ******* and **** and ******* at every 3 words, even if Hugues say that a decision is bullshit, it is completely with a different attitude and it is alot more respecfull than serra language !!!

i am sad,with this desagrement, we agree only for 91.0023% of the time, it is not a big decreasement but at this pace we will desagree completely by 2078 !!!!

we have to do something !!! LOL

MALICE
10/26/07 5:42:39PM
They are both asses, and they are both cool. You can come off as an ass and still have good intentions. Both of these men do just that.

And. This is a R E A L I T Y t.v. show. Which means it is overdramatized to point of ridiculousness.
jgtribbett
10/27/07 12:39:38PM
i dont know there motivation for doing the things they do, nor do i know them personally so i can't gudge them being cool or not