Why do people believe Weidman deserves a title shot ???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why do people believe Weidman deserves a title shot ???
LightsOUT23
1/21/13 5:11:50PM
Hey guys,

Don't get me wrong, i do not hate Weidman. I think he has great potential.
Weidman beat Maia in a fight that i thought neither fighter turned up the heat and both were happy to let it go to a decision, fair enough, Weidman got the nod so he won.

Maia was Weidman's first taste of beating a top 10 guy. Prior to this win he beat Tom Lawlor, Alessio Sakara and Jesse Bongfeldt who are mid level to non title contenders.

His 4 wins before the UFC were not anybody to reckon with, no one special. Fair enough he is unbeaten, but a KO win over Munoz who had beaten similar opposition before these two met does not get you a fight at a world title.

A KO stoppage over a step up in competition in Munoz was impressive, and shows that Weidman has talent and potential but Minoz has been Ko'd before and IMO does not warrant a world title fight when you got fighters like Sonnen, Okami, Bisping, Stann, Lombard and now Belfort fighting each other at the top end of that division.

I would say put Weidman in there with Belcher next. Some people believe (prior to the Okami defeat) that Belcher was in the title picture too and that puzzled me also. Weidman is talented, Yes, he has great potential and a couple of good wins. If he was to beat say, Belcher then the winner of Okami/Lombard, then i would say he is the number contender for the title.

Any thoughts ???

Cheers

FlashyG
1/21/13 5:48:02PM
He's the best option of the current pack of contenders,

Sonnen is fighting for a title in another division and has already been finished twice by Anderson, its also highly unlikely Anderson would agree to fight him a 3rd time.
Bisping is coming off a loss to Belfort
Stann has lost 2 of his last 3 and wouldn't realistically stand much of a chance against Silva.
Okami has already fought and lost convincingly to Silva and looked very underwhelming against Belcher despite winning.
Belfort has also already fought Anderson and was finished decisively.
Lombard will likely get a shot soon but he's only 1-1 in the division with his win coming against a middle of the division fighter.

They could match Weidman and Lombard, but that will eliminate one of the 2 as potential title fights for Anderson. It makes more sense to have one fight him now, give the other guy a fight he should win and have a 2nd title fight ready should Anderson continue his streak of dominance.
LightsOUT23
1/21/13 6:05:24PM

Posted by FlashyG

Sonnen is fighting for a title in another division and has already been finished twice by Anderson, its also highly unlikely Anderson would agree to fight him a 3rd time.
Stann has lost 2 of his last 3 and wouldn't realistically stand much of a chance against Silva.
Okami has already fought and lost convincingly to Silva and looked very underwhelming against Belcher despite winning.
Lombard will likely get a shot soon but he's only 1-1 in the division with his win coming against a middle of the division fighter.

They could match Weidman and Lombard, but that will eliminate one of the 2 as potential title fights for Anderson. It makes more sense to have one fight him now, give the other guy a fight he should win and have a 2nd title fight ready should Anderson continue his streak of dominance.

I see the sense in what you have said here from a business point of view, and with these other fighters either occupied or tied up in other fights, but if Weidman gets a title shot now, then i feel the MMA rankings wether it be fan based or official rankings do not serve their purpose as i feel Chris Weidman is not the number 2 Ranked MW at this point.

Munoz and Maia do not cement a title shot. My argument is, if that's the case, Then why didn't Boetsch get the title shot after beating Okami & Lombard as they were much tougher competition than Maia/Munoz. Boetsch did not get the title shot because Aparentely, He was not ranked as the number one contender. On that basis, How does Weidman earn that slot ??
prozacnation1978
1/21/13 6:15:10PM
I honestly think weidman vs rockhold for next shot
Twenty20Dollars
1/21/13 6:20:35PM
With Silva already clearing out most of the division that's how people think he deserves a shot.

Either that or Silva sitting out waiting to fight or fighting guys he just beat.

My hope is they give Rockhold the title shot.

At least got some more depth and new guys coming in at MW, like Kennedy, Rockhold, Souza.
JLS1980
1/21/13 6:29:19PM
I think he deserves the shot because as of right now he is the clear #2 guy in the division. Some had Sonnen as #2 but has changed weight divisions and has already had "2" chances at the belt.

If Bisping would have won against Belfort (and we know what just happened) than he could have argued the case.

Lombard is 1-1 so far since coming to the UFC with an impressive win over Palheres. And he lost previously to Tim Boetsch. Wheather he was injured or not. That doesn't grant him a shot.

Okami has back to back wins over Buddy Robrts that didn't do anything for him and a fairly dominate win over Belcher so that I don't think is enough either.

Rockhold can make a case but I would like to see him vs Philippou or Okami and depending on if he wins or not and how he wins that would be a likely candidate.

So Weidman whose undefeated and coming off a very dominate win over then highly ranked Munoz, which I believe was ranked #3 at the time can make the best case for a title shot. And weather or not Weidman can or cannot beat Anderson Silva, he does possses the tools to make it close and interesting.
Copenhagen
1/21/13 6:52:26PM
Asking this question, yet not saying who you think deserves it more than him right now kinda answers your own question.
It's not so much that he deserves it, it's more so there is no other option that makes since that Silva hasn't already destroyed.

I would definitely like for him to get another fight before the shot also though.
The Alan fight would be a step down from Munoz, and wouldn't really help him in the "deserves it" department.
Munoz is arguably a top 5, and if Chris is going to fight again before the title it should be to Okami, Bisping, Belfort, Rockhold, Stann, or even Philippou.
TheShaman
1/21/13 8:02:18PM
If that elbow was in fact intentionally timed and aimed with a purpose, and not just a "throw and pray" shot that happened to land just right, I'm indeed impressed, as his striking hasn't been confirmed enough in my opinion like his ground game has been.

Landing an elbow like that displays cerebral abilities, being fast reacting and accurate. I doubt he has been hiding his world class striking just to catch Silva by surprise when they fight though.

Bottom line, I don't believe any current middleweight is ready for Silva. You could almost call it a thin division if you measure it by Anderson Silva's abilities, but I'm not sure if that's fair to the great fighters in that division.

However, I do think Alan Belcher should be higher on the list than some people put him. I also think we should be watching Francis Carmont closely. I wish he would be pushed up the ranks faster, because I think he can handle it.

My long term prediction for the division is that Carmont will be a highly anticipated match against Silva if Silva hasn't done one of a number of things that would remove him from the division by then.
TeamDEY
1/21/13 11:16:07PM
It amazes me how much Weidman bitches about not getting a shot. I mean he beat Munoz. If people really thought Munoz was a #1 contender then.... uhh. If anyone has the right to bitch my vote would go to Hendrix (at WW that is).
Bubbles
1/22/13 12:18:00AM
If Munoz beat Weidman, he would have gotten the title shot vs Silva. Weidman took the Maia fight on really short notice so I think we can sort of give him a pass on that one. Two top 10 wins should be enough in any division to warrant a title shot, regardless of who they are...or at the very least be right on the cusp. They are ranked relative to the fighters in their division. He's done more than Sonnen, Edgar, Velasquez, Diaz, Koscheck, and Belfort (both divisions) have to get a title fight. You can probably argue that too with regards to Melendez and Alvarez.

I don't understand how you have Stann listed as a title contender yet don't think Weidman is

Like Copenhagen said, "Asking this question, yet not saying who you think deserves it more than him right now kinda answers your own question."
tcunningham
1/22/13 1:39:24AM
i wabt to see him fight silva just so we got a new name across the cage from silva. after this big layoff though i do think he needs to fight another top guy before a title shot. now that bisping lost, maybe weidman vs bisping will happen. if he can get passed bisping i think he deserves it.
UFC_Fanatic
1/22/13 5:07:35AM

Posted by tcunningham

i wabt to see him fight silva just so we got a new name across the cage from silva. after this big layoff though i do think he needs to fight another top guy before a title shot. now that bisping lost, maybe weidman vs bisping will happen. if he can get passed bisping i think he deserves it.

Yeah, I agree. I said it in a previous thread a while back but I think Bisping vs Weidman is the picture perfect test for whether or not Weidman is ready. Weidman excells in the ground game and has taken down everyone with seemingly no resistance, however, Bisping is most definitely one of the most difficult people in the division to take down. Sonnen had a hell of a time getting it done with no real success there until the 3rd round of their #1 contender fight. It would really give us an idea of how far along Weidman is in the striking game if he can't consistently get Bisping down, and if he wins a striking match with Bisping I'd say he can at least contend with Silva in the cage. Also if Weidman were able to repeated succeed where Sonnen struggled with Bisping and take him down and keep him down and dominate him, sign Weidman up to fight Silva immediately afterward. Silva had problems. in his first fight with Sonnen and in the first round of their 2nd fight, and if Weidman can do to Bisping what Sonnen couldn't then he would definitely give Silva fits.
airkerma
1/22/13 8:48:10AM
You fools are all lucky teh smash is teh banned or he would let all of you have it for doubting his version of Jesus.
jaguar_paw
1/22/13 3:27:51PM

Posted by FlashyG

I agree with this. I think the answer is "by default". ie... there is no other clear person to pick.

In my perfect world, I would have Vitor/Rockhold fight for the the #1 contender spot this spring. Then put Weidman vs Lombard for next in line.
LightsOUT23
1/22/13 5:34:32PM
I can see Rockhold or Belcher being paired up to fight Bisping next. Pretty much the whole division have called him out but these two are the likely pick IMO.

I think Okami or Lombard (provided Lombard gets past Okami) would be a good title eliminator fight for Weidman. If Chris could dismantle or win impressively over the winner of this fight, then i would say he deserves the next shot at the gold. But this fight needs to happen first or i am not convinced.

As for Belfort, providing he stays at MW, I would like to see him fight Costa philippou. This guy is a rising star and would be a test for anyone. Hopefully this fight would not be in Brazil so Belfort cannot use PED's and would be on a level ground for the fight.
prozacnation1978
1/24/13 8:55:26AM
Well supposely Silva is fighting in May or June
I heard this a month ago
If weidman is hurt Silva will face rockhold
I bet the Ufc is gonna wait to see if lombard beats Okami
And if he does don't be suprised if the Ufc pushes the Silva match do June or even July 7th in Vegas vs lombard
jjeans
1/24/13 9:33:03AM
Who don't they deserve it and how can you market it? Ask that question:

Weidman, hasn't beaten a consistant top end guy such as Belfort, Sonnen, Okami. Could you market it? Stylistically he's the scariest Silva has to offer and right now he has no weaknesses.

Rockhold, hasnt beaten anyone in the UFC so it's really hard to understand where he sits in the division, could you market it? Yeah I guess champion vs Champion can sell but Rockhold isn't exactly a household name.

Belfort, he lost to Silva and he lost to Jones, the champion figured him out within 3 minutes. Could you market it? For all the wrong reasons, come see Belfort get knocked out again

Okami, Andersons knocked him out twice and the second time Okami looked a fool, also the loss to Boetsch is hard to forget. Could you market it? No, Okami isn't a popular fighter, he doesn't speak English and he's a "grinder"

Sonnen, he's moved to 205. Could you market it? Yes, Sonnen could sell you a seat in front of wet paint.

Bisping, never beaten a top tier fighter, maybe with wins over Belcher/Phillipou first then a big name like a Okami, Weidman, Lombard he'll get his shot but not right now. Could you market it, people love seeing Bisping get KO'd and who better than the champion, finally Bisping would stop campaigning for his shot.

Lombard, he's got a lacklustre loss over Boetsch which people won't forget. Could you market it? Yes, he's got a good chin, is a big fucking dude and would stand with Silva and chin check, people wanna know how good Silvas chin is and one bomb might answer that question.

Phillipou, needs another top tier win.

Munoz, coming off a KO loss

Belcher, coming off a stupid loss

Jacare, Shouldn't jump ahead of Rockhold in the pecking order.

Boetsch coming off an out of character performance resulting in a loss.

Instead of asking why people deserve it tell me who does deserve it when you are purposefully picking holes in them?
Patchedup15
1/26/13 6:05:45PM
Lack of options
fonduktoe
1/31/13 12:04:32PM
cung le...give him the fight please
tepid55
2/1/13 3:29:11PM
I think Weidman could be the toughest fighter that Silva has faced because he seems to be a combination of Chael Sonnen and Travis Lutter, the two toughest opponents Silva has fought.