Penn wants St Pierre rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Penn wants St Pierre rematch
Next Page »
Bemin
1/11/08 11:52:09PM
BJ PENN has revealed he wants a rematch with Georges St Pierre and says he would beat the Canadian sensation if they clashed again.

‘The Prodigy’ lost to St Pierre at UFC 58 by split decision but claims the outcome would be different next time round.

He said: “Fighting GSP is all I think about every day. A rematch would be very good and I’ll make sure that I will 100 per cent guarantee victory if we fight again."

Link

Well if Penn wins next weekend and then wins in May against Sherk, I would love to see this happen as a fan. I think Penn would get his ass handed to him though, GPS has improved so much as a fighter since they last fought. I must say though as for rematches I would love to see, this would be one of the top 5. And a little more with Penn on Huges, and GSP/Serra
grappler0000
1/12/08 12:00:14AM
I would love to see a rematch...but I think Penn shouldn't be thinking about it everyday just yet, as he's got a big match coming up.
Ordep
1/12/08 12:09:21AM
i would love to see this after both of them get the titles and defend it at least 2 times in their respective divisions
quezocrema0032
1/12/08 12:14:35AM
omfg .... this is the one and only fight im not so sure penn can win ... this is a tuff match up 4 me 2 pick .. .of course i got the prodigy ... but i wont be so quick to say it lol ... but yea this would be an awsome fight ... i wanna see it but if penn loses it will be a decesion he wont get stopped ...
Shawn17
1/12/08 12:30:39AM
Penn took GSP to the edge, in fact i thought he won the fight. GSP had nothing for him except some lay and pray.
Menard_StC
1/12/08 12:30:53AM
Not sure how much St Pierre has improved, but OK.
CiaoBaby
1/12/08 12:46:22AM
GSP is nasty no doubt, but BJ is the prodigy. I think Penn submits him late in the fight.
jiujitsufreak74
1/12/08 1:16:41AM

Posted by Menard_StC

Not sure how much St Pierre has improved, but OK.

this has to be a joke

if it is i am sorry i can't sense sarcasm through the internet but i am going to respond as if it were not...

are you serious man
Gladiator
1/12/08 2:43:18AM
A fight between champions would be awesome!!! Ive wanted to see this fight for a long time and if it happened when they are both title-holders it would be one of the most epic fights in ufc history.
ufcboss
1/12/08 3:19:30AM
If they fought again, GSP would dominate, Or even Finish BJ.
In their first war, BJ landed a couple great shots messed Georges face up and broke his nose.
I know he couldnt do it again, We have all seen once GSP is comfortable with his opponent, He kick's arse. I would love to see this but I highly doubt it will happen, Not in this year anyway.

He should wait till he is holding a belt before talking smack i think. But you gotta love BJ.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Manak
1/12/08 3:38:26AM
i got GSP by split-Decision, he has gotten to good from the way he looked against hughes but penn would give him a war throughout
telnights
1/12/08 3:58:54AM

Posted by ufcboss

If they fought again, GSP would dominate, Or even Finish BJ.
In their first war, BJ landed a couple great shots messed Georges face up and broke his nose.
I know he couldnt do it again, We have all seen once GSP is comfortable with his opponent, He kick's arse. I would love to see this but I highly doubt it will happen, Not in this year anyway.

He should wait till he is holding a belt before talking smack i think. But you gotta love BJ.

Aaronno9
1/12/08 5:06:29AM
Im sorry, but i dont think bjs ever going to get dominated by anybody unless he gasses. Id pick gsp in a rematch i guess, but i wouldnt be suprised to see him having to resort to some lay and pray like last time in order to get the w.
pgally2000
1/12/08 6:28:31AM
I don't think it will happen, because I personally think Sherk will beat him.
rabbit915
1/12/08 9:33:19AM
BJ needs to stay within his own division. There are plenty of contenders that he hasnt fought yet there before he starts thinking about taking on heavier weight classes.
zephead
1/12/08 9:36:38AM
GSP by cardio
prozacnation1978
1/12/08 11:05:09AM
i am a big fan of bj penn but i think that gsp would destroy him
not ony that but i am very optimistic about bj beating both big daddy and the muscle shark in matches not only that but next after that could be ken flo or huerta if he beats them all he is my fighter of the year
crushedbacon
1/12/08 11:33:56AM
Did BJ just guarantee a win against GSP? And thats all he thinks about everyday, WOW...
vick_vega
1/12/08 4:52:54PM
Well BJ Penn is a pound for pound top 10 fighter. No doubt. For sure. But If he fights George St. Pierre again, not only will GSP win. But if will be more one sided than the first time. Cause he wont get his eye poked in the first round this time. How that was a split decision is a joke. It was a close first round, with GSP beating him easily in rounds 2 and 3. BJ needs to focus. And both have improved, but GSP has improved a lot more.
jtgribble
1/12/08 5:43:12PM
he better quit talking/thinking about fighting sherk and gsp. If he looks too far ahead of him he might not see stevenson is a tough opponent. better focus on the fight at hand, win that and then worry about who's next.
silverbullet
1/12/08 6:26:32PM
BJ Penn should be thinking about his next fight. Stevenson's not going to be a walk in the park.
jae_1833
1/12/08 9:06:32PM
He is calling out all the wrong guys, guys that have and will continue to dominate him. For all the BJJ skills he has, he gets owned by guys with superior wrestling skills. Put it simply, guys with stamina and grappling skills tend to wear BJ out; frustrate him until hee can no longer defend a good takedown, and then GNP him till the ref stops it. Bet Stevenson knows this, uses this, and gets himself a title to defend!!

DevonFoxy
1/13/08 12:32:27AM
Idk it sounds to me most people are overrating GSP (shocker ) and underrating BJ (which is expected as he has not shown Cardio since he was a little cabbage patch kid). I don't think Gsp would win as it may not be a popular choice I thought the first fight was extremley close and yes BJ might have broken GSP's nose but thats because BJ has better striking then anyone gives him credit for. GSP's stand up might have improved but I don't see him being able to finish BJ. BJ sounds more confident then ever and thats enough for me to say that he would put up a heck of a better fight then people on here are giving him credit for.

I think BJ's cardio is much better now that he is refocused on the LW title and I really guess I don't know why he is being buried very badly on this thread.

I agree GSP is good but I don't see how people are saying that he would destroy BJ Penn and Kick Penn's butt when no one has done that to Penn as he has always put up a great fight and makes it close. Beat Matt Hughes when no one thought anyone could. Then took GSP to the limit when everyone thought it was going to be a walk in the park for GSP. I mean yes BJ has/had a cardio problem and he still almost beat GSP. I guess I just don't see the how GSP in on a different level as BJ. As I truly believe BJ has a better ground game and would always be hard for GSP to take down like he was in their first fight. I also feel that the stand up is alot more close then people are going to say as BJ just doesn't use his as much as GSP but people will say w/e they want I suppose. Wouldn't count out BJ though.
Boo_Radley21
1/13/08 12:43:16AM
I don't think anyone is overrating GSP, he's actually as good as everyone says. BJ's cardio isn't underrated considering how it has looked in the UFC. But GSP has improved way too much and would beat Penn much more decisively if there was ever a rematch. Just like Sherk will
loonytnt
1/13/08 11:41:32AM
bj needs to get passed joe first and then maybe start talkin about it
HulkRage
1/13/08 12:00:06PM
Even though I would love to see this fight happen, IMO Penn one the first fight.
But, I would like to see penn win the LW title and stay put for a while. Then after Penn has held the LW title for a while and GSP wins and holds the WW title for a while, then we have a clash of champs.
quezocrema0032
1/13/08 9:24:57PM

Posted by jae_1833

He is calling out all the wrong guys, guys that have and will continue to dominate him. For all the BJJ skills he has, he gets owned by guys with superior wrestling skills. Put it simply, guys with stamina and grappling skills tend to wear BJ out; frustrate him until hee can no longer defend a good takedown, and then GNP him till the ref stops it. Bet Stevenson knows this, uses this, and gets himself a title to defend!!

bj has never gotten owned ... his 4 losses 3 decsion ... one 2 stpierre in a super close fight .... and the one that he was stopped in he suffred a rib injury ... bj never gets owned or stopped ... the only way stpierre beats penn is lay and pray ... which isnt ussually his style but when u need 2 get desperate u do
ThePlague
1/13/08 9:24:58PM
I think GSP has better takedown defense than BJ has takedowns. If GSP kept it on the feet like he did in his 2nd Hughes fight, I think he would i take it. Although, BJ might show us a lot of new stuff in his next couple of fights, so I wouldn't pick a winner yet. I just can't see anyone decisively beating GSP in the standup game.
jae_1833
1/14/08 6:28:46PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by jae_1833

bj has never gotten owned ... his 4 losses 3 decsion ... one 2 stpierre in a super close fight .... and the one that he was stopped in he suffred a rib injury ... bj never gets owned or stopped ... the only way stpierre beats penn is lay and pray ... which isnt ussually his style but when u need 2 get desperate u do

Oh really .... then what do you call round 3 of his rematch with Matt Hughes!!?? I call getting pinned down and punched in the head until the ref pulls him off OWNED!!!
quezocrema0032
1/14/08 10:29:44PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by jae_1833

Oh really .... then what do you call round 3 of his rematch with Matt Hughes!!?? I call getting pinned down and punched in the head until the ref pulls him off OWNED!!!

i Call it a rib injury ... reatard ... idk what fight u were watching but penn took 3 out 4 rounds agains Hughes in all ... and the one he lost he was visably dead he didnt even attempt to stop the take down and when did u ever see ne one pass bj's gard ? ... yea ur babbling
Pages: [1] 2