BJ Penn trying to make history in Decemeber

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ Penn trying to make history in Decemeber
POLL: Would having 2 belts at once in different weights be the greatest acheivment in UFC history?
Yes 46% (27)
No 34% (20)
Maybe 20% (12)
MikeyG
8/15/08 3:53:11PM
Since GSP vs BJ is pretty much slated BJ Penn will look to do someone only Dan Henderson has done outside the UFC, hold 2 belts at different weight classes at the same time, (if it indeed is a WW title fight). This fight to me didnt make too much sense since I want them to defend there own belts but now I see it as an opportunity for history to be made again. I wont get into who I'm picking or why and I hope it dosnt turn into a who will win debate but a discussion of how significant that would be to hold 2 belts, how hard that would be to defend both or maybe if BJ won he would immediatly give up the WW belt and continue dominating LW.
copcopps
8/15/08 3:55:19PM
Definately would be an achievement. Especially since regardless of the circumstances regarding it, Fedor still has one loss on his record.
Raykill
8/15/08 4:03:40PM
Seems to me it would break the fighter down to much to try and defend both. Really I dont think the circumstances would be fair to any other fighter in both classes.
I mean really Dana would have to come up with something to make this work. But the only thing I can think of is for him to make the time before title shots longer to give Penn a chance to drop or gain the weight needed. Which is were we have the problem of making all the other fighters that might have a chance at the title shot wait that much longer.
I think the only fair thing to do is if both belts are won that he gives one up.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/15/08 4:10:00PM
As an achievement for BJ, yes, spectacular. In terms of marketing for the UFC, not so much.

I really, really don't like ordering cards without title fights unless the cards are stacked pretty well. Having one guy defend two belts puts a log jam at the top of two divisions. And as is, BJ usually only fights 2-3 times a year. Last thing we'd need is for him to suffer a major injury, and both belts would be sitting in rehab with him. And the term "interim" is a word that is almost like a dagger in my ear.
prozacnation1978
8/15/08 4:21:06PM
i still thin that bj will have to give up his light weight belt and i doubt gsp will fight in dec
he already fought 4 times in 12 months
he is waiting to fight in montreal again next year
jocka
8/15/08 4:25:28PM
Like i stated multiple times i don't think its good for the sport for one guy to have 2 belts.
ObsoleteMan
8/15/08 4:51:11PM

Posted by copcopps

Definately would be an achievement. Especially since regardless of the circumstances regarding it, Fedor still has one loss on his record.

What exactly does Fedor have to do with this?
postman
8/15/08 5:02:17PM

Posted by ObsoleteMan

Posted by copcopps

What exactly does Fedor have to do with this?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.
seanfu
8/15/08 6:34:56PM
As far as huge acheivements go, I think beating top fighters means more that titles ever will. But, BJ beat Sherk, Gomi, Hughes, Pulver, Renzo, Caol Uno, eaned a split decision against GSP. So really I think the collection of those names means more altogether than 2 titles. Him beating GSP in his peak would certainly mean something more than just winning WW.
aaa9erh8er
8/15/08 6:54:34PM
IF he beats gsp.IF

i haqt the idea of one man holding 2 belts iits unfair to us and to the respective div. back on topic would it be a great achievment maybe but i think if either fighter wins its a better achievment then any belt. any one that can bea either gsp or penn is a beast and both fighters have a list of great names they have dominated each one would be a carrer win so i think that in its self is way more significant
MikeyG
8/15/08 8:09:16PM

Posted by seanfu

As far as huge acheivements go, I think beating top fighters means more that titles ever will. But, BJ beat Sherk, Gomi, Hughes, Pulver, Renzo, Caol Uno, eaned a split decision against GSP. So really I think the collection of those names means more altogether than 2 titles. Him beating GSP in his peak would certainly mean something more than just winning WW.

Hence winning the 2nd belt. Did you think I meant the belt was more important than the win(s)? I thought that was without saying.
bls1919
8/16/08 12:34:07AM
I think that if Bj can move up to 170 and beat a bulked up GSP would be a great achievment in itself then the belt would be just gravy. To the guys who dont like it because then every fight card doesnt have a title fight....cmon. Fights are fights. And in the UFC you are seeing the best up and comers for the most part. non-title fights are part of the sport too.the biggest part actually.
Pitbull09
8/16/08 1:14:11AM
I dont see why it would be that big since Penn cut the whole divisions line when he did this. A true accomplishment would be defending the belt you already have while competing in another division til your a contender and get a shot.
JohnnyNapalm
8/16/08 3:54:38AM

Posted by copcopps

You said it dude!

Now back to the thread...

I've always enjoyed watching The Prodigy do his thing in the ring. He's got th' skillz and the right 'tude, dude. Preferably, BJ wins that fight against Georgie boy and nabs that WW title.

Then the coupe de grace would be luring Hughes back into the 'gon for a 3rd go around. A dedicated BJ should choke Matt the f**k out. Normally, all that I care about is seeing a competitive fight regardless of the result, but something about that pompous hayseed Hughes annoys me...

Oh yeah, as for the question of greatest achievement in UFC history... Gotta say "no". That belongs to the dudes who fought back in the tournament days. Figure out who had the toughest tournament road to victory and you got the greatest achievement eva!
Trapt1nw0nder
8/17/08 10:36:02AM
It would be one of the greatest moments in history for me,being a BJ Penn fan from the start...cant wait to celebrate

Anderson has a good chance of doing this,so it kind of depends if BJ keeps active...and not fight only once or maybe twice a year as he has said...
jomatty
8/17/08 11:11:33AM
considering that there really is noone who can offer much of a challenge to these guys in their weightclasses (im sure someone will argue this point but i think it is clearly true) this fight makes total sense to me. not only that but this should be such a great fight and im more interested in seeing great fights than title ramifications anyways.
handstrong
8/17/08 1:03:38PM
I definately think defending your belt in your own weight division should be a requirement before being allowed to jump over to another weight class and steal one. It's not like the Middleweight Division where there's noone to challenge Silva. BJ has plenty of top teir guys to challenge him. Florian, Sherk just to mention a couple. If anything, make it a non-title fight. I've already seen Penn vs St Pierre, bring on St Pierre vs Silva.
Naturaldisaster
8/17/08 3:03:36PM
It would be bad for ufc. and I dont think its fair at all. I love Penn but I think its unfair that he gets a title shot. I dont care if he is the LW champ or not. I think if you step up to another weight class you should automatically have to start from the bottom and work your way up again. But im not worried about that fight because although GSP and Penn are both 2 of my top 5 favorite fighters, I think GSP will destroy penn this time around. GSP has grown in leaps and bounds since their last fight
itsallabouttheu
8/17/08 8:56:10PM
I agree, its not fair to give Penn a shot at the title. If that is the case, put Silva up against Forrest if he wants it?! That would be a 3 minute round for Silva, easy.
If someone such as Silva, or BJ wants to move to a different weight class they should have their old title taken away (just like boxing) and have a fight between the top two contenders to get that belt. Its stupid to have the same person fight in two different weight classes and carry both belts. Next thing you know they are gonna have Intercontinental belts, and tag teams. Get real. Anyway, GSP takes this fight, he is on his "roll", just like Silva. BUT I woul be pullin for Penn cause I cant stand GSP.