B.J. Penn: “I’m trying to get up to AKA but Fitch is trying to give me some problems about that.”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » B.J. Penn: “I’m trying to get up to AKA but Fitch is trying to give me some problems about that.”
lohmann
7/29/12 1:32:34PM
When iconic former UFC champion B.J. Penn announced the end of his brief retirement he likely thought the only welterweight he’d be butting heads with in the coming months was UFC 152 opponent Rory MacDonald. However, it looks like “The Prodigy” has found himself in a fight with Jon Fitch as well with the clash coming as a result of Penn’s desire to spend some time training at American Kickboxing Academy.

“I’m trying to get up to AKA but Fitch is trying to give me some problems about that. All Jon Fitch has to do is look on the wall, at whose picture is on the wall holding the belt. That’s all Jon Fitch has to know,” said Penn in the first of a series of video blogs chronicling his preparation for the September scrap with MacDonald.

link to article and video blog
Budgellism
7/29/12 1:36:14PM
Why not go somewhere where he'd be welcomed?
SmileR
7/29/12 1:42:57PM
Why go to AKA when one of their main guys wants to beat a hole through your face!? Fitch wants a rematch so I don't get why AK would allow BJ there!
prophecy033
7/29/12 2:02:07PM

Posted by SmileR

Why go to AKA when one of their main guys wants to beat a hole through your face!? Fitch wants a rematch so I don't get why AK would allow BJ there!

I don't get it either, there are plenty of other quality places he could train
SmileR
7/29/12 2:10:58PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by SmileR

I don't get it either, there are plenty of other quality places he could train

The only reason I can think of him wanting to train there is because of the amount of top quality wrestlers that train there. But 90% of them want to punch a hole where his face is!
Twenty20Dollars
7/29/12 2:27:12PM
I don't understand the picture comment.
Chael_Sonnen
7/29/12 2:47:51PM
Come to Oregon Beej, you will be welcomed with a handshake and a copy of The Dolce Diet routine
Budgellism
7/29/12 2:51:16PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Come to Oregon Beej, you will be welcomed with a handshake and a copy of The Dolce Diet routine

Yes, I was thinking he could use Mike Dolce after seeing some recent pictures of Penn.
prophecy033
7/29/12 2:51:58PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Yes, I was thinking he could use Mike Dolce after seeing some recent pictures of Penn.

tallica62
7/29/12 2:57:41PM
I have the funny feeling BJ Penn is taking the route of Liddell...his prime is past, and he prob should have kept is legacy where it was...although I will enjoy watching him

I hope Matt Hughes stays away too
Budgellism
7/29/12 3:07:57PM

Posted by tallica62

I have the funny feeling BJ Penn is taking the route of Liddell...his prime is past, and he prob should have kept is legacy where it was...although I will enjoy watching him

I hate to say this because it's been beaten to death but Penn doesn't seem to be motivated. He hasn't looked the same for years. He's only 33 and hasn't really taken an excessive amount of damage in his career. I feel like he's gone through the majority of his career on talent alone. A B.J. Penn with a good camp, a good diet and most importantly, at Lightweight would probably still be top 3 in the division imo.

EDIT: I realize all his losses are to the best but seeing pictures of a ballooned up Penn tell the real story imo.
jae_1833
7/29/12 3:45:12PM
That is why I am not a fan of his....I don't know what is up with him, lazy, bored, priveleged, cocky.....I have no idea. I can't deal with the frustration of watching someone so skilled not perform for some unknown reason. The mystery does not fascinate me...hard work develops skills that eventually talent can not top....talent is wasted with BJ Penn. Can you imagine if someone like Machida was similar?
pmoney
7/29/12 4:07:50PM
Looks like BJ is trying to mend fences, and Fitch is stuck on that draw.

I think SmileR has it right, he probably wants the best wrestling training he can get. I'm thinking of DC and Ben Askren especially. If he could learn to not get taken down and blanketed by Funky, I would make him the favorite against Rory.
BuffaloDave
7/29/12 4:15:09PM

Posted by SmileR

Why go to AKA when one of their main guys wants to lay n pray a hole through your face!? Fitch wants a rematch so I don't get why AK would allow BJ there!

Fixed
Budgellism
7/29/12 4:18:00PM

Posted by pmoney

Looks like BJ is trying to mend fences, and Fitch is stuck on that draw.

I think SmileR has it right, he probably wants the best wrestling training he can get. I'm thinking of DC and Ben Askren especially. If he could learn to not get taken down and blanketed by Funky, I would make him the favorite against Rory.

I hope that's the case. Penn training with DC and Askren would be extremely beneficial. Rory doesn't stand a chance in the stand up against Penn so if BJ can keep it standing I see him winning decisively. MacDonald is relentless though and Penn tires by the end of the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd at WW. It's a very interesting fight and the crowd is going to go nuts here in Toronto
quezocrema0032
7/29/12 5:01:46PM
I can't believe not one of you 14 posters touched on that maybe he wants to train there since thats where he started his career & he is deff on the tail end of a legendary career. Maybe hes tying to go back there for sentimental reasons. Him offering the olive branch tells me he really is close to retiring for real, & I deff wont miss his next fight. Not many left in a legends career, & honestly not enough respect on this thread for a legend. Fedor gets treated like a god & bj gets bad mouthed. Disgusting
pmoney
7/29/12 5:25:47PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

I can't believe not one of you 14 posters touched on that maybe he wants to train there since thats where he started his career & he is deff on the tail end of a legendary career. Maybe hes tying to go back there for sentimental reasons. Him offering the olive branch tells me he really is close to retiring for real, & I deff wont miss his next fight. Not many left in a legends career, & honestly not enough respect on this thread for a legend. Fedor gets treated like a god & bj gets bad mouthed. Disgusting

That's why you need to post more brah! Be that voice

I don't think anyone will deny Penn is a legend and one of the pound for pound best the sport has ever seen. Maybe some just think he could have been even better. I know that personally, I regard him in the same esteem as Fedor, Anderson, Couture, Dan Henderson, etc.
Cooler
7/29/12 5:47:55PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Had no idea BJ was at AKA, hmmm

Sometime after Nova Uniao then?
ghandikush
7/29/12 6:49:13PM
Lots of hate, guess everyone is forgetting that BJ never leaves the comfort of his own camp and being willing to train at AKA would mean he is definitely at least a little motivated.
Pookie
7/29/12 7:05:09PM
Fitch is kind of an ass about holding grudges.

His shoulder chip is comparable to Diaz's
isk
7/29/12 7:25:15PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

There's also the open house feeling that BJ's generally had about his own camp. He's a real fighter, but he's also extremely generous with his time and training resources. It might be hard for him to expect pushback from a camp when he has a vastly different approach with his own.

* edit - specific example, I can't remember the exact fight, Diego Sanchez maybe? where he was talking after the fight and offered to have them train at his place "anytime."
FastKnockout
7/29/12 8:21:16PM
Good. Glad to see Fitch giving him the strong arm after all the crap he said when Fitch wanted a rematch.
FastKnockout
7/29/12 8:23:17PM

Posted by Pookie

Fitch is kind of an ass about holding grudges.

His shoulder chip is comparable to Diaz's

Like Penn's grudge against GSP and Tristar?
warglory
7/29/12 8:36:03PM

Posted by isk

Posted by quezocrema0032

There's also the open house feeling that BJ's generally had about his own camp. He's a real fighter, but he's also extremely generous with his time and training resources. It might be hard for him to expect pushback from a camp when he has a vastly different approach with his own.

* edit - specific example, I can't remember the exact fight, Diego Sanchez maybe? where he was talking after the fight and offered to have them train at his place "anytime."

I believe that comment was after his second fight with Jens Pulver.
sbulldavid
7/29/12 9:02:38PM
I believe Penn spent a lot of time with Javier Mendez long before Fitch andKoscheck
grappler0000
7/29/12 11:15:09PM
Penn's got 99 problems and a Fitch is 1.
Sir_Karl
7/30/12 12:53:22AM
I think if BJ focused 100% when training he could be better than ever. He is not old by any means. When BJ is in form he is unbeatable. I think he can be better than he ever has been. He needs to focus though. As far as going to AKA goes...I see no issues there. He shouldn't have said a word about Fitch though. He should be the better man. It is only going to cause more drama for himself and in his possible future at AKA. He should just ignore and steer clear of Fitch but it seems BJ is opening his mouth for a reason. i think he is trying to set up another fight with him. I don't think their Draw settled well with either of them. He needs to focus on Rory MacDonald first though. If BJ isn't focused, prepared and in best form...MacDonald is going to smoke him.
Bubbles
8/2/12 6:21:21PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Fedor doesn't give excuses for every loss in his career. One is a class act, the other acts like a baby.

He can go train at AKA after he mans up and fights Fitch again. Hughes went to BJ after their "rivalry" was settled, so why cant the same be done here?