BJ Penn vs Shinya Aoki......

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » BJ Penn vs Shinya Aoki......
POLL: Better ground game
BJ Penn 84% (46)
Shinya Aoki 16% (9)
StriderXero
5/28/08 6:11:28AM
We all know this fight will end up on the ground. But I'm just wondering who you guys think has the better ground game.
gartface
5/28/08 6:22:54AM
BJ would consume Shinay. I like Shinya, and I think he's a top 5 guy, but BJ is more advanced in every category especially standup.
89vision
5/28/08 6:32:33AM
i dont think it goes to the ground unless BJ wants to, i see him knockin aoki out anyway
D0wnUnd6e6r
5/28/08 6:38:51AM
This a serious thread?
jiujitsufreak74
5/28/08 6:40:24AM
Bj wouldn't take this to the ground. if he did, Aoki would have the advantage. Aoki is BJ x2 imho. his guard is so elusive and he can get you from any angle. he is so quick and technical that it would be a mistake to hit the ground with him. Aoki is most comfortable on the ground and a lot of people just haven't seen what his ground game is capable of because i do not think BJ would be able to beat Aoki on the ground. so to answer the question, i think Aoki has the better ground game, however, i think BJ would keep the fight standing and win a UD.
jomatty
5/28/08 8:16:35AM
i think it is a big mistake to assume that this would go to the ground. to answer the question who has a better ground game then shinya does if you are talking submissions but bj has better wrestling and is much better on top. the only way this fight would go to the ground is if shinya pulled guard and bj penn is someone that nobody wants on top of them. his control is way too good and he is not gonna get subbed...interesting fight but really bad matchup for aoki.
rabbit915
5/28/08 10:04:36AM
BJ would win the fight but Aoki has a better ground game.
ICSlegend
5/28/08 12:43:42PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Bj wouldn't take this to the ground. if he did, Aoki would have the advantage. Aoki is BJ x2 imho. his guard is so elusive and he can get you from any angle. he is so quick and technical that it would be a mistake to hit the ground with him. Aoki is most comfortable on the ground and a lot of people just haven't seen what his ground game is capable of because i do not think BJ would be able to beat Aoki on the ground. so to answer the question, i think Aoki has the better ground game, however, i think BJ would keep the fight standing and win a UD.

That's pretty accurate imo. Aoki would work BJ on the ground. BJ would work Aoki on the feet. It would be interesting to see how Aoki would try to get it to the ground, we know he's not gonna stand and strike
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/28/08 12:44:43PM
i see BJ licking Aoki's blood when this is over w/
NatedawgThaM
5/28/08 1:30:12PM
BJ would whoop him. He has better stand up and wrestling not to mention his sprawl is one of the best in the world. Aoki won't be getting it to the ground and I actually think their pretty even on the ground.

BJ 2nd RD KO on the feet.(UFC round system)
Aaronno9
5/28/08 1:49:27PM
I think b.js advantages on the feet and with wrestling outweigh aokis bjj advantage. Im not even sure it would be that good of a fight, i mean, aoki would be trying to get it to the ground constantly, but i just dont think he can take b.j down, i think b.j would finish him pretty fast tbh. I really feel hes a horrible match up aoki.
Kracker_Jap
5/29/08 2:11:37AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

holt8081
5/29/08 2:42:37AM
I know nothing of Shinya so I will go with Penn
gsquat
5/29/08 11:05:54AM
As said before, this fight would not go to the ground unless BJ wanted it to. BJ, R2 KO/TKO.
The_Ho_Bag
5/29/08 2:22:15PM
Aoki will come outta know where and pull an armbar
bigbubbano23
5/29/08 6:29:54PM
i really can't say how this fight would go. but i think bj would get the W at this point in his carrer
EON
5/29/08 8:08:50PM
sorry to use mmath but BJ > Aoki
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/29/08 9:46:43PM
bj would knock aoki out. BJ can use his take down defense to control where the fight goes. I think we would see a lot of bj knocking aoki down on his back where aoki would lay on his back waiting for bj to jump into guard. My guess is bj would let him up and this would repeat untill aoki had too deep of a cut to continue /knocked out.
gartface
5/29/08 11:46:18PM

Posted by EON

sorry to use mmath but BJ > Aoki

You don't need MMAth to come to that conclusion.
poll77
7/17/08 11:00:58PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i definately agree
masodd
7/19/08 5:44:39PM
Bj has better ground and stand up game so Bj will take it anyway he wants.
Purge
7/20/08 5:44:00AM
Penn via TKO in round 1.