Once Again BJ Penn Shows Us How Serious He's Training For UFC 101

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Once Again BJ Penn Shows Us How Serious He's Training For UFC 101
DCRage
7/17/09 2:16:14PM
Yeah, really serious...I don't know what the point of clips like this is unless he's trying to...well...draw your own conclusions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoqfIU0C6Y&feature=player_embedded
postman
7/17/09 2:24:42PM
Odd but crazy at the same time
Styles
7/17/09 2:28:24PM
I think its funny, BJ is looking in good shape though. Florian is going to get wrecked worst then sherk did.
emfleek
7/17/09 2:29:47PM

Posted by Styles

Florian is going to be the next champ.

Styles
7/17/09 2:33:48PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Styles

Florian is going to be the next champ.

Irish_Pride
7/17/09 2:33:50PM
Wow, that is very impressive but I've seen the ways Kenny Florian trains and I'm sure he is also very ready for this fight. Kenny Florian FTW!
wingman113
7/17/09 2:39:15PM
ill be honest thats pretty sick, but its not going to be enough to win a fight against KenFlo, this is going to be a good one.
Shadymlm
7/17/09 4:29:31PM
BJ is the King of the LW division and I don't see Kenflo dethroning him IMO the only fighter that I see having success against BJ is Diego.
Rush
7/17/09 5:49:24PM
The level of difficulty with this depends on how deep the water was. My guess is that it was less than waist deep. If that is the case, it's not a big deal.
DCRage
7/17/09 6:16:26PM
If you saw the number at the end of the pool in the video, it was roughly 3 feet deep where BJ jumped out.
Rush
7/17/09 6:48:31PM

Posted by DCRage

If you saw the number at the end of the pool in the video, it was roughly 3 feet deep where BJ jumped out.

I didn't look, but 3 feet is no more than waist high on me, if not less. The trick to this is tucking your legs up, not just the height of your jump. To me it's more of a trick than a test of physical ability.
Amigop
7/17/09 8:30:23PM
that was pretty cool aha. kinda like the running of the rock
Nightmare27
7/18/09 3:05:01AM
Impressive.
scobac
7/18/09 10:43:27AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by DCRage

I didn't look, but 3 feet is no more than waist high on me, if not less. The trick to this is tucking your legs up, not just the height of your jump. To me it's more of a trick than a test of physical ability.

you must not like bj. Can you do this without water and jump over a 3ft wall? I didnt have audio for the video so I dont know if that was relavant or not, but what he actually did is a testament to his natural physical ability. Why bother trying to discredit that by calling it a trick?
Rush
7/18/09 1:02:53PM

Posted by scobac

you must not like bj. Can you do this without water and jump over a 3ft wall? I didnt have audio for the video so I dont know if that was relavant or not, but what he actually did is a testament to his natural physical ability. Why bother trying to discredit that by calling it a trick?

Yes, I can do a three foot wall. I do 30 inches with 3 feet of forward distance combined with ease. This is during/after a hard workout when my legs are tired. I'm not even an considered to be an elite athlete nor do I consider myself a good jumper. The point I am trying to make is that this video cannot be evidence that he is so athletic or how serious he is training. If it is, that really says something about his prior training.
Aaronno9
7/18/09 2:08:51PM
I thought it was pretty cool. Not sure why its at all relevent to how hard hes training for the fight though.
scobac
7/18/09 3:14:03PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by scobac

Yes, I can do a three foot wall. I do 30 inches with 3 feet of forward distance combined with ease. This is during/after a hard workout when my legs are tired. I'm not even an considered to be an elite athlete nor do I consider myself a good jumper. The point I am trying to make is that this video cannot be evidence that he is so athletic or how serious he is training. If it is, that really says something about his prior training.

Like I said I dont have the audio for this vid so I dont know if that plays a part or not, I agree with you that this isnt evidence of great training but you didnt make that point in your first 2 post you just tried pointing out details that would indicate that what he did wasnt impressive and discredit his ability. 3ft is 36 inches not 30 and doing a vertical leap out of waist high water is impressive in my eyes. No hard feelings man IMO you just came across like you hate Bj and made no real direct point in you first few post, but you can hate him if you want no law against that (Im not really much of a fan of his anyway).
Rush
7/18/09 7:44:14PM
I know how many inches are in 3 feet. and I did mention that I could also do a 3 foot vertical leap too.

As for BJ, I used to like him and now I just like to watch him fight. His out of the octagon attitude has rubbed me the wrong way in the past couple years. I still like to watch him fight because he is interesting. I don't hate the guy, I just don't like him.

If you look back I have criticized GSP for saying certain things about what he was not able to do. I for one didn't buy it (I thought he could do more). Basically I expect all these guys to outperform me in pretty much anything (maybe a couple exceptions like running). When they get credit for doing something that I can do, I play it down. Likewise if they say they can't do something that I can do with ease, I call it BS and don't buy into it.
roadking95th
7/19/09 1:27:36PM

Posted by Rush

I know how many inches are in 3 feet. and I did mention that I could also do a 3 foot vertical leap too.

As for BJ, I used to like him and now I just like to watch him fight. His out of the octagon attitude has rubbed me the wrong way in the past couple years. I still like to watch him fight because he is interesting. I don't hate the guy, I just don't like him.

If you look back I have criticized GSP for saying certain things about what he was not able to do. I for one didn't buy it (I thought he could do more). Basically I expect all these guys to outperform me in pretty much anything (maybe a couple exceptions like running). When they get credit for doing something that I can do, I play it down. Likewise if they say they can't do something that I can do with ease, I call it BS and don't buy into it.

Exactly. I would expect him, and most other top fighters, to be able to do this.
CwB
7/19/09 6:40:49PM
WOW did you see how hard bj is training jumping in and out of pools and jacuzzi's
Jackelope
7/19/09 6:48:18PM
This video is on the front page of Yahoo! News today
DCRage
7/23/09 4:30:33PM
He's at it again, today amazing us with his high-diving skills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJ8XJABUs0&feature=player_embedded