BJ Penn on Sean Sherk: ‘I’m going to show this man of cardio what cardio really is’ at UFC 84

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » BJ Penn on Sean Sherk: ‘I’m going to show this man of cardio what cardio really is’ at UFC 84
juanez13
2/13/08 6:24:43PM

“… I’m just training full speed. I’m going to go in there and show this man of cardio what cardio really is…. I’m just going to go kick his ass…. Everybody has questioned my heart, questioned my training ethics, this and that, but I never did something as cowardly as to take any sports enhancement drug…. I think these people going in taking these sports enhancement drugs, they’re not real fighters, they’re athletes. I’m a fighter. I’m a real fighter. That’s all I did my whole life…. Sean’s a great fighter. He’s done a lot of great things in the past. I’ll never dispute that, and it will be a great win, whether he’s on steroids or not. It’s a great win to beat Sean Sherk. It’s going to be sweet beating Sean Sherk on May 24.”

UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn — who has been dogged throughout his career with claims that he relies too much on talent and not adequate training — feels he can beat Sean Sherk at his own cardio game when the two lock horns at UFC 84 on May 24. “The Muscle Shark” has a bottomless tank of stamina, which going into the fight seems to be his one true advantage (strength being the other). “The Prodigy” also can’t help but rant about the steroid issue, labeling Sherk a “cheater” once again — something that clearly gets under the skin of the former champion who has proclaimed his innocence from a positive steroids test back in 2007.

LINK
candynuts
2/13/08 7:16:29PM
I hope both fighters gas by the 2nd round.
GO SHERK
Mayhem13
2/13/08 8:05:20PM
I believe in him.

GO BJ
Pookie
2/13/08 8:09:57PM
im not quite sold on sherk being stronger then penn
BlazinSaddle
2/13/08 8:24:12PM
hughes is better than sherk in all areas so i dont see how sherk can possibly win, BJ is obviously gonna try and knock him out or submit him early, this is just talk i truly think that at 155 BJ will not gas, i dont see how you can hate this guy his only losses are to the greatest fighters, 2 of which should have gone his way (i think he won the GSP fight, and the rib injury effected the hughes fight) the guy is going to stay all over sherk stuffing his takedowns similar to the hughes fight, i mean hughes literally manhandled sherk and hughes dosnt have that impressive of a physique, really all this talk of cardio is just a "if i dont finish win quick i'll last all 5 rounds and win a decision" more than saying he'll outcardio him, GSP even had problems getting BJ down, randy has problems getting BJ down i mean this is a lose/lose fight for sherk not only is he going to lose its going to be an embaressing loss, sherks only hope is to injury him.

look to see sherk look like this after the fight...
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
NatedawgThaM
2/13/08 8:31:21PM
Sean Sherm does have the best style to beat a BJ Penn. A man with great Juijitsu, just take them down and control them with strength and submission defense and constant short elbows to frustrate them. Just look what he did to Kenflo and Hermes Franca, both excellent with submissions. He dominated them both.

I'm just picking BJ because NOBODY can beat BJ Penn when he's focused. He's almost unstoppable. His cardio is just as good. Sherk has that style but BJ is unbeatable when he's focused so I'm picking BJ.

The real question for me is, how will he when it and win?

Pookie
2/13/08 8:34:30PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Sean Sherm does have the best style to beat a BJ Penn. A man with great Juijitsu, just take them down and control them with strength and submission defense and constant short elbows to frustrate them. Just look what he did to Kenflo and Hermes Franca, both excellent with submissions. He dominated them both.

I'm just picking BJ because NOBODY can beat BJ Penn when he's focused. He's almost unstoppable. His cardio is just as good. Sherk has that style but BJ is unbeatable when he's focused so I'm picking BJ.

Bj penn isnt just the average bjj guy though, hes so good on the ground that its worse for the wrestler to be in his guard than for him to be on his back.

BJ Penn has the best Style to beat sherk. He's proven time and time again that anybody who wrestles with him is going to get subbed or broken while trying to get him on the ground.

Both kenflo and franca are so far less talented than bj at Bjj that the comparison doesnt hold up. Not to mention his sprawl is possibly the best in all of mma.
jiujitsufreak74
2/13/08 8:43:55PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Bj penn isnt just the average bjj guy though, hes so good on the ground that its worse for the wrestler to be in his guard than for him to be on his back.

BJ Penn has the best Style to beat sherk. He's proven time and time again that anybody who wrestles with him is going to get subbed or broken while trying to get him on the ground.

Both kenflo and franca are so far less talented than bj at Bjj that the comparison doesnt hold up. Not to mention his sprawl is possibly the best in all of mma.

i'm never going against BJ at LW ever again...you have taught me this lesson well:
Pookie
2/13/08 8:47:13PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NatedawgThaM

i'm never going against BJ at LW ever again...you have taught me this lesson well:

I'd pick him over anybody at WW too
Tailgunner
2/13/08 9:05:56PM
BJ Penn is gonna smash Sherk.......you can bet your house on it!
puppetmaster837
2/14/08 3:27:06AM
I cant wait to see Sherk win the unanimous decision and finally shut BJ the hell up.
Pookie
2/14/08 4:23:00AM

Posted by puppetmaster837

I cant wait to see Sherk win the unanimous decision and finally shut BJ the hell up.

5 rounds man...

In the end thats going to hurt sherk, ironically
NatedawgThaM
2/14/08 5:03:58AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NatedawgThaM

UFC 80 taught me the exact same lesson!!! I'll never pick against a determined BJ Penn again

I know BJ is more then just BJJ, I'm just saying, it's what he's best that and Sherk knows how to beat those guys since he has the best style. I know BJ has better hands and better all around skills. His sickening BJJ and Sprawl completely cancels out Sherk's takedowns almost. He's an even better all around fighter then GSP so after what GSP did to him when he was focused, imagine BJ?

Like I asked before, the real question for me is when BJ Penn will win it and how?
KeNn
2/14/08 12:59:40PM
lol sherk will just take more roids lmfaooo.

He's getting tapped out he's nothin compare to my boy BJ

He'll win round 1 tko, or sub.
gravy13
2/14/08 1:47:55PM
The only way Sherk will beat Penn is if Penn gets lost and doesn't find his way to the arena that night.....

Penn>2nd round sub.
atlas777
2/15/08 10:47:22AM
I dont care how much cardio BJ says he says he will gas by the third we wont be able to knock out sherk, sherk has great defense the only guy to ever stop sherk is GSP and his only other loss is to matt hughes similiar to BJ excpet BJ got powned in that third round against matt hughes ( injured rib or not he still got owned) these two are actually pretty similiar with the exception BJ has the advantage with his hands and Sherk has the wrestling advantage and the cardio advantage and alot more wins than BJ with less losses nobody can go at sherks speed for 5 rounds sepecially not BJ, Sherk will frustrate him take him down and and beat on him for at least 4 rounds the first round is the only round that sherk will have a hard time taking down BJ at 155 Sherk is unstoppable we all saw the knees he took from Franca and he kept coming and the elbow from Florian that made his forhead into a bloddy waterfall and that never broke his focus the minute BJ is in trouble he will panic and open up tons of windows for sherk sherk will end it in the 4th or 5th or by unanimous decision

-Yes i am kinda biased i think Sherk is the man and he has one of the most impressive records in all of the UFC and MMA and i kinda dont like BJ but im just trying to call the fight how i see it and im not trying to get anyone to argue with me about this....again.
sinister_16
4/8/08 9:44:45AM
BJ will submit him second round easily sean is a little whiny bitch
teddythetuna
4/8/08 1:43:08PM
i got bj by the 2nd round submission. sherk is gonna be angry and unfocused while a focused bj, like everyone else has said, seems unbeatable.
JimiMak
4/8/08 2:34:39PM

Posted by atlas777

nobody can go at sherks speed for 5 rounds

how fast is a wet blanket?

BJ won't need 5 rds. Sub 2nd is always a good guess with him.