BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk?
jakestp1559
6/25/07 12:53:32AM
does anyone else think BJ should stay at lightweight especially given the fact that the champ is a small matt hughes and BJ has the best shot in the LW division of taking a guy like sherk.......this is a very biased opinion but i would love to hear some feed back
cincyassasin
6/25/07 1:02:42AM
I agree but believe BJ is lookin to take on Hughes to clear up that little glitch in his record then on to the big fish GSP who I believe,(I really like Serra but don't see it any other way), will be the welterweight champ by the time they meet again. Unless Hughes chooses to fight BJ before GSP after beating Serra.
Scott_Revels
6/25/07 1:43:50AM
I don't think BJ had any ambition to be in the Lightweight division, other than fighting Pulver again. Had the opportunity to fight Pulver never come up, then BJ would still be fighting at WW. Just what I believe.
CornishMMA
6/25/07 9:31:48AM
Wanting to fight Hughes is a really stupid reason to not stay at lW right now

The earliest BJ could fight Hughes is middle of next year, that is if he beats Serra in Nov then fights Kos/GSP around March, if he lost to Serra then i guess they could have BJ fight him in March but thats still a way away and he could fight Sherk/Franca is November
Bountytaker
6/25/07 9:56:48AM
It's good to see that BJ has a lot of options. Had he lost to Pulver, we might be questioning whether he can still compete.

As for the specific question...I think he could have some great matches in the LW division, particularly with Sherk. And, it would make sense to hang around there until some of the WW stuff gets sorted out. But, I personally don't think he can beat Sherk, so, if he really wants to get a title, he'd probably be better off getting back up to WW so he can catch a break.

Just my opinion though.
jakestp1559
6/25/07 3:45:17PM
i disagree sherk is a mini matt hughes and bj has proven hes well rounded enough to destroy fighters like that, i think sherk is a very doninant fighter but is not well rounded enough to beat a guy that can sprawl and has BJJ like Penn. Penn definetly has a quicker shot at LW. WW is so stacked and BJ is a smaller welterweight i just think LW should be his division he brings the star power so that the LW division could hold its own PPV for a title defense it would be nice to see the lightweight division hold a PPV just like the other weight classes
chuckw94
6/25/07 6:11:50PM
B.J. is to talented for that division and plus he has to get revenge on hughes
SteedTheDeed
6/26/07 1:04:52AM
VS sherk would be awesome. If it went the distance, Sherk could win a decision but i see BJ ko or choking him out late.
johny_rotten
6/26/07 1:47:24AM
BJ would be stupid to move up to WW right now. BJ wants to prove he is the best fighter ever. Out side of avenging his losses it is his biggest motivation. The path to both of those things started at 155 this past Saturday against Jens, and need to continue at 155. He had two shots at the LW title, and let both slip through his hands. He needs to take that thrown first. Then once he is champ move up and take his place as one of the best ever. In theory he could fight the winner of Sherk/Franca on the same card Matt goes against Serra in Nov.

As far as his chances at LW you are crazy if you don't think he would walk through either Sherk or Franca. If the same in shape BJ, who we saw at the finale, shows up there is no question he would be champ. I think Franca has a better shot mainly because his BJJ is good enough to not get an advantage over BJ, but to cancel that Part of the Prodigy's game out. At that point BJ still has an advantage, but Franca could land a haymaker. Sherk just doesn't have a chance. He doesn't have the power in his hands to say he has a punchers chance, and in every aspect of the fight BJ is just an awful match up for Sean.
ac_gi
6/26/07 1:48:27AM
IMO,
BJ would tire from the constant pressure that Sherk would put on him. Sherk has never been submitted and BJ has proven that he has cardio issues at times. I see a stop via GnP in the later rounds, similar to what Matt Hughes did to him. It's funny how Sherk is always underestimated. I think he is taking on a tough opponent in Franca, but after Sherk wins, I see people calling Franca overrated, etc.
ac_gi
6/26/07 1:50:30AM

Posted by johny_rotten

... and in every aspect of the fight BJ is just an awful match up for Sean.

Hughes and Sherk are very similar, and after the 1st round Huges had little trouble. Again, Sherk has phenomenal BJJ defense.
johny_rotten
6/26/07 2:10:25AM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by johny_rotten

... and in every aspect of the fight BJ is just an awful match up for Sean.

Hughes and Sherk are very similar, and after the 1st round Huges had little trouble. Again, Sherk has phenomenal BJJ defense.

First off BJ dominated Matt for two rounds. He ripped apart his ribs at the end of the 2nd allowing Matt to take over in the 3rd. It was a freak event that is hard to gauge any future fights on.

As far as Sherk's great BJJ defense show me where he fought a top BJJ guy. Out side of Diaz I don't think he has ever went against a black belt in BJJ, but Nick wasn't a black belt when they fought. Not to mention BJ is a guy who submits would class BJJ black belts. There is maybe 5 guys in the world you can compare him to as far as BJJ goes. Sherk can have great defense but that gets thrown out the window when you face a guy like BJ.

Every other part of MMA is just a bad match up for Sherk. Sean had trouble taking down Diaz, and more trouble keeping him there. Nick has good take down defense, but it doesn't compare to what BJ has. Randy has stated he had trouble taking BJ down, and then couldn't hold him down. BJ's hands are way beyond what Sherk brings to the table. Bottom line is BJ has a reach advantage, and has so many ways to win this fight. Sherk's only hope is making him gas, and laying on him. The odds would be with BJ.
ac_gi
6/26/07 2:36:41AM
I'm not saying that he's as good as BJ, but Kenny Florian has a black belt.
Nick Diaz recieved his Black belt 1 year after his fight with Sherk.
hippysmacker
6/26/07 2:46:23AM
I don't think this a relative question unless Bj stays at lightweight, which he won't. If he did , I think his cardio issues would be a thing of the past. In that case I take BJ by sub in the 4th. Just for the record, if Sherk moved back up to 170 and fought him there, I take Sherk by GnP in the 4th when Bj was exhausted.
xchickox
6/26/07 10:33:55AM
i think sherk would destroy BJ, sherk is just way too strong for BJ
HaVoK
6/26/07 12:50:38PM
I would like to see BJ fight Sherk for the title before going back up to WW. Especially now that the WW division is going to be delayed quite awhile with TUF6.
DMcCabe11
6/26/07 12:55:02PM
if they do fight for the title i see BJ winning and ending the fight sherk is like a miniature matt hughes and if country breakfast cant be BJ then how can the muscle shark do so with the same game plan
mkiv9secsupra
6/26/07 1:08:47PM

Posted by DMcCabe11

if they do fight for the title i see BJ winning and ending the fight sherk is like a miniature matt hughes and if country breakfast cant be BJ then how can the muscle shark do so with the same game plan

Country breakfast DID beat BJ.

Sherk wins 75 out of 100 times...
DMcCabe11
6/26/07 1:14:01PM
i love matty but when did the he legitamitely beat BJ...the second fight he was getting completely dominated and BJ cracked his rib it was a freak accident and BJ will take the 3rd fight .......and sherk will lose 90 out of 100 times he wont be able to take BJ down(and if he does baby J will have no problem submitting him) and he will getting mauled on his feet
johny_rotten
6/26/07 4:07:24PM
I am a bit biased because I am a huge BJ fan, but I can't honestly see how so many would take Sherk in this fight. In what aspect of MMA is Sherk more skilled at than BJ? His only advantage is his cardio. His wrestling is completely negated by BJ's insane take down defense, and amazing submissions from his back.

I don't think it will really matter after UFC 73 since Hermes provides many of the same problems for Sherk as BJ does, and will take the belt.
DMcCabe11
6/26/07 4:10:09PM

Posted by johny_rotten

I don't think it will really matter after UFC 73 since Hermes provides many of the same problems for Sherk as BJ does, and will take the belt.

i think Hermes wide looping punches are too lazy and raw to make a problem for Sherk and i think Sherk is goign to be to strong for Hermes and will be able to mount him after he roughs him up on his feet a little bit so although he will loe to Baby J sherk will beat hermes
JimiMak
6/26/07 6:44:21PM

Posted by xchickox

i think sherk would destroy BJ, sherk is just way too strong for BJ

You can't be serious. I'm not gonna be the BJ nuthugger if I can help it, but to say Sherk would destroy is ridiculous. C'mon I've seen you around enuf to know you arn't an idiot.

First, noone... repeat NOONE has ever destroyed BJ, at any weight. Second, wrestlers are his favorite ppl to fight. They have no answer for his level of BJJ, boxing and wrestling combined. Sherk would look no better than Matt or Jens, IMO. No matter what, there is no chance of anyone destroying BJ at a weight where stamina isn't an issue.
EddieBowers
6/26/07 8:52:04PM
I would like to see BJ and Hughs fight again. But for the most part I think he needs to continue fighting at 155. As for BJ vs Sherk???? I think BJ coudl take the belt from Sherk, sub second round.
Piccosaur
6/26/07 9:50:15PM
Everyone go to MMA News please. Seems like BJ will be versing Sherk if Sherk beats Franca. This isn't a dream anymore, it's more of a reality.
ultimatefighter33
6/26/07 10:02:50PM
without a question bj penn would destroy sean sherk i would rather see bj take on hermes
ac_gi
6/26/07 11:10:09PM

Posted by ultimatefighter33

without a question bj penn would destroy sean sherk i would rather see bj take on hermes

I'm sure a BJ fan would rather him take on Hermes because Sherk would beat BJ, and you don't want to see that.
dionmcalister
6/27/07 2:16:49AM
BJ is going to soundly drub either fighter. Hopefully it's sherk. Then after he beats up the sidekick, he can go mollywhump Country Breakfast. THEN, he can role the bones against GSP. In shape and motivated, BJ Penn is #2, maybe #3 after Fedor and MAYBE Mauricio pound for pound, on this planet. And there's even a case to be made that he is #1. And hey, I'm not trying to hug nuts here. But who other than Beej has battled across such a large span of weight classes and been successful.....that's right, NOONE. (And pulling a Joe Riggs doesn't count ie- going from 280-300lb sloth to a "competive" LHW/ MW)Of course in the top few, Nog must be reverently mentioned. Anyhow, BJ can beat anyone under 185 guaranteed. Will he be in shape, have gas enough to go 5, care enough to train hard enough??- who knows...guess we'll see.
ac_gi
6/27/07 2:53:17AM

Posted by dionmcalister
...Anyhow, BJ can beat anyone under 185 guaranteed. Will he be in shape, have gas enough to go 5, care enough to train hard enough??- who knows...guess we'll see.

Isn't being in shape and training hard part of being a great fighter? I enjoy watching an in shape BJ, but the bottom line is that he is 2-3 in his past 5 fights. Let's not anoint him MMA god just because he beat a guy that should be fighting at 145.
nibrack11
6/28/07 12:26:33AM
i think bj should stay at LW and i think he will beat sean sherk if they fight because he fought gsp and went to split decision and sean sherk only went to the second round with him.
chrtoflinski
9/19/07 10:53:37AM
While Sherk is a great fighter his biggest problem isn't his fighting it is the wear and tear he puts on himself. He has been putting up with injuries way before his title fight. That and because he is a massive 155 fighter and amazing wrestler is the only reason he will do good in this division, seeing how he was a mediocre ww fighter. Penn has proved his determination to come back strong with his cardio and that was seen in his fight with pulver. He also in my opinion looked better at ww than sherk and that was with very poor cardio as seen in his GSP fight. Size isn't everything, penn is a well rounded fighting with amazing balance and his dexterity his second to none.

Penn will win the lw belt again no matter who his opponent is.

Also with the talk of him going ww, if there was one fighter that could handle both divisions its penn