MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ PENN VS SEAN SHERK UFC 84
Next Page »
POLL: Who do you think will win?
BJ Penn 57% (43)
Sean Sherk 23% (17)
Referee Miragliotta 20% (15)
decken
4/21/08 7:11:34PM
I can't wait for this fight. It is going to be a battle! I'm going with BJ Penn by domination. But really, If BJ comes to this fight in shape it will be a long night for Sherk. Anyways I'm curious what the rest of you think?

tepid55
4/21/08 7:43:15PM
BJ doesn't have the cardio to handle the pressure that Sherk will put on him.
JBatch
4/21/08 7:53:29PM
Myself and some guys I train with were having this discussion a while ago and came to the conclusion I think a lot of MMA fans have.

This fight is either going to be won by some slick submission by BJ or is going to be a boring positional battle won by Sherk over 5 rounds.

Personally I would love to see BJ KO Sherk very early and then celebrate by fake injecting himself. I lost a lot of respect for Sherk when that info came out.
kevietre
4/21/08 7:54:57PM
Im betting on BJ. He went up in weight and submitted Hughes in the first round when Hughes was in his prime. Hughes has a similar wrestling style to Sherk. BJ won't be stonger but he has more technique, skill, and heart.
chickmagnet
4/21/08 9:33:58PM
BJ will either KO him brutally in the first or submit him in the first...

WAR PENN!!!
DLPark91TH
4/21/08 9:54:04PM
I think Sherk has the chin and submission defense to stay in the fight with BJ.

Therefore it goes down to cardio, I think BJ will look great in the first 2 rounds, and do well in the third, but show a lot of slowing in the third. So then it goes into Sherk's cardio-machine world...4th round he beats on him a bit, 5th round he gets a tko gnp stoppage.

That's how I see it going, 5th round stoppage via tko.
NinjaCyborg
4/21/08 10:01:13PM
I predict a 5 round unanimous decision win by Sherk
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 10:08:12PM
bj ain't knocking sherk out, and if ken flo could not submit him what makes you think bj will. i think it will be a close fight, all depends on whether bj comes prepared and is in good condition, he better be cause this fight could easily go 5 rounds. if it goes into later rounds, sherk does have advantage. sherk cuts easily, bj needs to cut him, try to wear him down, it will be a close fight!!! god i wish i had to time off work to go see this live!!
NinjaCyborg
4/21/08 10:16:11PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

bj ain't knocking sherk out, and if ken flo could not submit him what makes you think bj will. i think it will be a close fight, all depends on whether bj comes prepared and is in good condition, he better be cause this fight could easily go 5 rounds. if it goes into later rounds, sherk does have advantage. sherk cuts easily, bj needs to cut him, try to wear him down, it will be a close fight!!! god i wish i had to time off work to go see this live!!

I agree.

Did you see all the knees to the face Sherk took from Hermes Franca and Sherk continued to push forward? Nothing BJ can do will KO him.
Mchubb316
4/21/08 10:20:13PM
BJ by submission. Sherk will need to get on top of BJ and hold him down and work the GnP for five rounds to get the win. Sherk is more than capable of doing this, but I'm going with BJ submission 1st or 2nd round.
bigbubbano23
4/21/08 10:43:15PM
the thing that makes me nervous about this fight is how underestimated sherk is right now. i would not bet on bj knocking him out considering hat sherk took several open knees to the head by franca and managed to keep applying the pressure. I think that bj will win but by either a rear naked choke or a crazy triangle.
bullettdodger
4/21/08 10:47:57PM
Referee Miragliotta by double flying knees to both chins of BJ and Sherk simultaneously... then drops the belt on the floor, says "Lightweight is for pussies" and leaves to go train for Lesner V Coleman.. In all seriousness though i think BJ has the skills and the heart to pull something off and get the victory. Perhaps some of Sherk's iron chin and imperviousness to submission was due to supplement "contamination"... this will be an interesting fight, and one that im looking forward to!
Darnok
4/22/08 8:08:31PM
This is going to be such a good fight.

I think this is BJ's fight to lose, if he doesn't get off the couch and train like a mad man he is gonna lose. He should train like he has never before because if Sherk can get into the third round BJ is gonna have his work cut out for him.

I am going to wait for the weigh ins to make a final decision. If Penn shows up ripped I will probably choose him.
jiujitsufreak74
4/22/08 8:10:32PM

and if ken flo could not submit him what makes you think bj will.

are you serious?
Pookie
4/22/08 8:19:41PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

are you serious?

yeah, that was definitely one of the weirdest comments ive ever read.
...Why Ken-flo of all people?
koopa
4/22/08 10:58:21PM

Posted by Pookie

are you serious?

Come on guys... In all fairness, he DID submit Kit Cope lol. Franca would've submitted him before Kenny would've. My prediction is, and I hope I'm wrong, Penn gets Sherk in a guillotine when Sherk shoots on him. I am a huge fan of both guys, but Sherk is so underrated, I hope he wins.
GSPCanada
4/22/08 11:03:24PM

Posted by koopa

Posted by Pookie

are you serious?

Come on guys... In all fairness, he DID submit Kit Cope lol. Franca would've submitted him before Kenny would've. My prediction is, and I hope I'm wrong, Penn gets Sherk in a guillotine when Sherk shoots on him. I am a huge fan of both guys, but Sherk is so underrated, I hope he wins.

The kenflo comment was one of the most unthought out arguments I have read on this board to date. I'm sorry I don't really flame but BJ has way better jiu-jitsu then kenflo

I think BJ can submit him but it has to be a RNC or armbar/kimura i dont think sherk can be submitted with either a triangle or a guillotine
Kastro
4/23/08 1:48:20AM
Tough fight to call for me..

Sherk has amazing strength and very good cardio however BJ has heavy hands and an amazing submission game but his cardio and endurance has been questionable.

If BJ comes in top shape I think we may see some problems for Sherk, BJ was clearly beating St. Pierre in the first round of their fight until he gassed, as well as the second Hughes fight.

chubbud22
4/23/08 4:43:45AM

Posted by GSPCanada

Posted by koopa

Posted by Pookie

are you serious?

The kenflo comment was one of the most unthought out arguments I have read on this board to date. I'm sorry I don't really flame but BJ has way better jiu-jitsu then kenflo

I think BJ can submit him but it has to be a RNC or armbar/kimura i dont think sherk can be submitted with either a triangle or a guillotine

NinjaCyborg
4/23/08 10:46:13AM

That won't happen. It's a physical impossibilty to choke Sean Sherk out with a Guillotine. His neck muscles are so strong, you would need to clamp on an industrial vice to pinch off the blood flow to his brain.
BJ just can't supply the power it would require to choke out Sean Sherk.
If BJ chokes out Sherk, i'll eat my computer screen.
jocka
4/23/08 12:01:07PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

That won't happen. It's a physical impossibilty to choke Sean Sherk out with a Guillotine.

I agree, bj could submit sherk with an armbar or maybee a triangle but with a guillotine choke mmmmm too mcuh muscle in the way to get a good choke. BJ via armbar
imanidiot777
4/23/08 12:19:50PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

That won't happen. It's a physical impossibilty to choke Sean Sherk out with a Guillotine. His neck muscles are so strong, you would need to clamp on an industrial vice to pinch off the blood flow to his brain.
BJ just can't supply the power it would require to choke out Sean Sherk.
If BJ chokes out Sherk, i'll eat my computer screen.

Guillotine on Sherk in the lightweight would be like trying to guillotine Lesnar in the heavyweight, too much neck muscle.
Tein_Lung
4/23/08 12:53:21PM
BJ is not strong enough to pull off an arm bar or kimura... or any arm lock for that matter... hes got a better chance of a leg lock or choke... and IMO its Sherks fight if it goes past 3 rounds... everyone knows BJ does not have great cardio... and i bet there are very few out there that can out work Sherk in terms of cardio
mrkennedy
4/23/08 1:16:21PM
B.j round 4 or late 3 sumbission
NinjaCyborg
4/23/08 2:32:30PM
Don't get me wrong, BJ does have a few tools he can win with. Either by knocking Sherk out, or hanging with him through all 5 rounds and taking a decision.

However my official pick is that Sherk will get the Unanimous decision win over BJ.
I see this fight taking a similar path as Sherk vs Franca
RandyCouture
4/25/08 1:38:04AM
Sherk whole roids scam was bs imo. He was either set up or took them unknowingly even dana white agreed with that. The dude had so much evidence that proved his innocence but the corrupt California Athletic Comission was a joke and ruled against him. Anyways Sherk by gnp or decision
chubbud22
4/25/08 1:40:09AM

Posted by RandyCouture

Sherk whole roids scam was bs imo. He was either set up or took them unknowingly even dana white agreed with that. The dude had so much evidence that proved his innocence but the corrupt California Athletic Comission was a joke and ruled against him. Anyways Sherk by gnp or decision

Come on bro he tested positive.
NeaRMisS
4/25/08 4:15:17AM

Posted by chubbud22

Posted by GSPCanada

Posted by koopa

Posted by Pookie

are you serious?

So does this mean you actually think ken-flow (i hope i win by cut, i finish fights, i can maybe submit a can) as better JJ then BJ? Cuase if so... dot dot dot
Throwdown
4/25/08 2:41:34PM
Very true about Kenflo ... he's not on the level of BJ/Sherk... yet.

But I really wouldn't be surprised if he was the next to get a shot if not second to next... just the way he's sort of been put out there lately.
balack_o-bama
4/25/08 4:40:43PM
Haha The KenFlo comment cracked me up.

Also someone said "theres nothing bj can do to KO sherk if he took those knees from franca"

Simpy put, yes there is a way.

If he caol uno's him, sherks dead.
Pages: [1] 2