B.J. Penn Says UFC Doesn’t Want He and Jon Fitch to Rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » B.J. Penn Says UFC Doesn’t Want He and Jon Fitch to Rematch
FastKnockout
7/11/11 10:30:59PM
When B.J. Penn and Jon Fitch fought to a draw at UFC 127 in Australia earlier this year, it was assumed that the rematch was a foregone conclusion. The UFC apparently has other plans in store, according to Penn.

LINK
FastKnockout
7/11/11 10:35:50PM
"the fans don’t want it & I’m not interested"

Joe Silva is usually pretty cool, but I could give two s**** if he's interested or not. The fight ended in a draw, and a rematch needs to happen or that whole fight would be for nothing. Seeing this really angers me when not too long ago Penn received an automatic rematch with Edgar, which was for the title in a fight that he LOST. So now that a rematch is actually warranted, it's not going to happen.
bjj1605
7/11/11 10:49:14PM
Who wouldn't want to see a rematch? There was no convincing conclusion the first time around.

It was an exciting fight. Something that is hard to get out of John Fitch.

It clears up the tile picture.
Twenty20Dollars
7/11/11 10:50:51PM
Well this isn't for a title though and that was BJ at 155 when he was the top dog.

And well Idk who would want to see a rematch, the first match wasn't that exciting and the rematch wouldn't be much different.
Lesnar1
7/11/11 10:51:50PM
Yeah I was at the fight btween Penn/Fitch and I reckon Penn shoulda got the split decision but a rematch has gotta happen otherwise it just leaves doubt forever as to who would'a won the second time so as much as Penn or Fitch may hate it a rematch is due. But hopefully before the rematch Penn & Condit hook it up cause that is an awesome encounter that i'd pay money to see. Then win or lose Penn faces Fitch after the Condit matchup.
Twenty20Dollars
7/12/11 12:27:19AM
Would it not also be a 5 rounder, b/c most likely it'd be a main event.
prophecy033
7/12/11 12:43:47AM
A rematch should happen. Yeah it wasn't that exciting the first time but I would like a resolution on the subject. It's just another reason that draws suck. It does make for good banter tho
bjj1605
7/12/11 1:38:00AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well this isn't for a title though and that was BJ at 155 when he was the top dog.

And well Idk who would want to see a rematch, the first match wasn't that exciting and the rematch wouldn't be much different.

I don't get your comment. I'm not saying it would be for a title. I'm saying it clears up the title picture at WW by sorting out two of the better fighters.

I guess to each his own on whether it was exciting.

If it is a 5 round fight though, I'd favor Fitch.
Pookie
7/12/11 1:43:45AM
I think he aimed his comment at the guy above you, bjj.
Chael_Sonnen
7/12/11 2:02:58AM
No interest in seeing a rematch......moving on
Twenty20Dollars
7/12/11 2:06:08AM
Yeah, it was more on the situation on BJ getting that rematch with Edgar.

Only if Fitch wins does it clear up the WW picture, if BJ wins prolly doesn't get a title shot or at least he shouldn't. B/c with that logic, Guida should have a title shot.

I mean it's different from Edgar/Maynard b/c that was a draw in a title fight.

Dont know who Fitch gets though.
Jekyll
7/12/11 3:33:58AM
sorry i am not interested int eh fight... i am not really interested in seeing Fitch fight at all.. he just dry monkey humps who ever he is in there will until time runs out... its as if he doesn't know that he is allowed to end the fight early
godofdixie
7/12/11 3:40:53AM
condit/penn is much more intriguing than a rematch b/t penn and fitch. bj and carlos will bring guaranteed fireworks.
Theoutlaw08
7/12/11 8:56:33AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

No interest in seeing a rematch......moving on

Agree, not interested at all. I would like to see Condit fight Penn
emfleek
7/12/11 8:59:17AM
I'm 100% interested in a rematch. It's not like there was a clear-cut winner last time out.

Draws are BS.

I'm interested in a Penn/Condit fight but I still think BJ and Fitch have to go at it one more time.

If it (Fitch/Penn) doesn't happen, I think Fitch needs to consider going to MW.
KungFuMaster
7/12/11 10:28:46AM
I have a strong feeling the ufc is aiming for Penn vs GSP 3. I have lost all hopes in Penn a long time ago but I guess the ufc still believes Penn is the man to give GSP a fight......And this could be due to the fact GSP does not want to move up in weight to fight Anderson Silva - at least not anytime soon.
BigIP
7/12/11 10:53:26AM
Not interested in a rematch. BJ vs. Kos is what I want to see! And Shields/Condit vs. Fitch
Theoutlaw08
7/12/11 11:03:03AM

Posted by emfleek
I think Fitch needs to consider going to MW.

I agree with this, i think Fitch needs to move up, he is a big WW and it is easy for him to take down and lay on people for 3 rounds. I would like to see him face some bigger guys at the MW division. I think a good first fight for him would be Fitch vs. Maia
Budgellism
7/12/11 11:21:07AM
I'm personally not interested in a rematch at all. Penn vs. Condit is just a much better fight.
Pookie
7/12/11 1:48:48PM
Didn't Fitch say that he would sit out and wait for either Penn or GSP? And that he would turn down any other fight until he got it?

emfleek
7/12/11 1:51:45PM

Posted by Pookie

Didn't Fitch say that he would sit out and wait for either Penn or GSP? And that he would turn down any other fight until he got it?

He said "current or former champions *like* BJ Penn or GSP" and he said he would wait even if he had to sit out for a year.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong. Here's his exact quote...

Posted by Jon Fitch

“I want BJ or GSP,” Fitch exclaimed. “Those are the only two guys I care (to fight) or have any interest in right now. If I (have to) sit out a year and wait for them, I’ll do it. That’s what I’m waiting to fight for.”

Pookie
7/12/11 1:55:30PM
Poor Guy. He's not getting either of those fights.
KungFuMaster
7/12/11 2:10:15PM
If Fitch and Penn fights again, there will only be one number contender. I think the ufc is lining GSP to fight (in no particular order) Penn and Fitch following the aftermath of GSP vs Diaz. The way the set up is going, I assume the ufc presumes GSP will retain the title after his fight with Diaz.

Just a hunch..
KungFuMaster
7/12/11 2:14:13PM
Assuming GSP beats Diaz, he could be facing Penn and then Fitch or he could be facing Condit and then Fitch.
KungFuMaster
7/12/11 2:18:08PM
Or perhaps the ufc has something in the works which may involve GSP vacating the WW title and we will see Penn vs Fitch for the WW title. I can see that happening too. ( assuming Penn beats Condit of course )
Bubbles
7/12/11 4:46:54PM
i am definitely for Fitch vs Penn II. i still feel Fitch got screwed in that fight and would love to see Penn lose again. seeing his face flustered and showing that he has essentially given up is priceless.

Fitch deserves the next title shot after Diaz imo, but if Condit beats Penn then you can bet he is next in line.

if Fitch were to move to MW, i really dont see him struggling against most of the division. his worst matchups imo are Sonnen, Munoz, and Maia. and yes he will beat Silva