Penn vs. Sanchez targeted for UFC's third show in November; White hints at new broadcast deal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Penn vs. Sanchez targeted for UFC's third show in November; White hints at new broadcast deal
ThaAxeMurderer7
8/27/09 7:33:07PM
PORTLAND, Ore. – The recently rumored UFC lightweight title fight between current champion B.J. Penn and challenger Diego Sanchez will happen this fall according to UFC president Dana White, but it won't happen in England.

At today's UFC 102 pre-fight press conference in Portland, Ore., White said he was working on a deal that would see the organization host a third event in November.

And while UFC 105 will air on SpikeTV on Nov. 14 and UFC 106 will be seen on pay per view Nov. 21, White said the potential new date won't be viewed on either platform.

Link
prozacnation1978
8/27/09 7:35:24PM
i doubt it, he should just have it in england
BelXavier420
8/27/09 7:49:04PM
Sanchez is gonna knock Baby Jay out!
george112
8/27/09 7:50:43PM
the link takes me to the site map..
Gogoplatapus
8/27/09 8:19:16PM
So essentially Penn vs Sanchez on ABC, NBC or HBO. Or Fox. Not a fight night and not UFC 107. Does this sound right?

Probably a few more networks in the US.
RearNakedJoke
8/27/09 8:26:32PM
CW right after gossip girl and one tree hill
ThaAxeMurderer7
8/27/09 8:32:30PM

Posted by george112

the link takes me to the site map..

Sorry about that. This should work Link
ThaAxeMurderer7
8/27/09 8:45:40PM
I actually think this makes perfect sense. We all know Fedor is going to be fighting in November. I bet the UFC is planning on putting on 3 events during November and counter programming with a replay of another event on the other Saturday during the month. I hope Fedor is fighting on the Saturday when they are showing the replay. However you look at it, the fans win if this scenario plays out.

What do you guys think about the new broadcast deal?
Irish_Pride
8/27/09 8:52:02PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I actually think this makes perfect sense. We all know Fedor is going to be fighting in November. I bet the UFC is planning on putting on 3 events during November and counter programming with a replay of another event on the other Saturday during the month. I hope Fedor is fighting on the Saturday when they are showing the replay. However you look at it, the fans win if this scenario plays out.

What do you guys think about the new broadcast deal?

It sounds great. I don't know what station they are having the deal with. Maybe HBO, or some big station like that. All I know is, it's going to be huge for the sport. I mean can you imagine if it was on Fox or ABC that would be amazing. I think your right, they are trying to counter this Fedor thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Dana schedules Penn vs Sanchez on the same day as Fedor vs Rogers. If that does happen, I don't know about you guys but I'm watching Penn vs Sanchez.
telnights
8/27/09 9:10:41PM
Well I wouldn't be shocked by an HBO deal since Showtime is starting to promote MMA HBO will want to one up Showtime. I really hope this is true because I have HBO and need a reason to justify keeping it to the wife other than just True Blood.
SmileR
8/27/09 9:29:51PM
Would a network deal mean a end to the PPV's? I'm unsure as to what this means and any clarification would help. Props may even flow!

If that is the case why would the UFC consider it? Wouldn't they make more money from PPV's or can the networks compete with the profit they make from each event?

Brain_Smasher
8/27/09 9:43:16PM
No a Network deal would not effect PPV. There is no way a network deal could match the money the UFC makes on PPVs. That is why big name boxers left TV long ago and none of them have ever give up the big money to come back to TV and eventually led to the down fall they are experiencing in viewers now.

The average UFC now draws 500K buys. Thats 25 million in revenue. Then they can rebroadcast the event on Spike and get a few hundred K in ad revenue(commercials).

Even if the UFC event on network TV was the most watched show period on TV. It would be very hard for them to get 25 million. And thats the average PPV.

The UFC will use the network event like they do Fight Nights on Spike. Just a way to build young fighters fanbase and encrease the number of people who buy the PPV.
Brain_Smasher
8/27/09 9:56:51PM
I think the only 2 real possibilities for a TV deal are 1) ESPN or 2 HBO.

ESPN is the best choice and the most likely. ESPN has had a recent increase in MMA coverage using its shows like PTI, Around the Horn, Mike and Mike, etc. They have the resources with the above mentioned shows and ESPN radio to make many of the UFC fighters household names and make the UFC events across the board an even bigger success. Also it was mentioned a while back that an ESPN Exec was sitting ring side at UFC 100 with Dana White. Add to that ESPN has signed on to show the UFC in the UK. With 1 deal in place its not a stretch they went right to work on a US tv deal.

HBO. I see this as not very likely. HBO has always been dependant on boxing. I feel the last negotiation breakdown was due to their demand of control so they can use MMA to boost their boxing product which they would reap much more benifit from than any deal with the UFC. The only reason i feel they may change their tune and give the UFC a favorable deal is Stikeforce being on Showtime. Showtime is a direct competitior with HBO and that pressure of being left behind in the sport of MMA may have lit a fire under them.

1 last thing. An aspect that makes HBO more likely is the UFCs deal with Spike. I dont know what the current deal is. But at one time their contract prevented them from signing with any other cable TV network. This would include ESPN but not HBO as it is a premium network or any of the Broadcast networks like NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox. So unless their current contract is different or they have got permission from Spike a deal with ESPN may not be possible.
grappler0000
8/27/09 10:18:32PM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

No a Network deal would not effect PPV. There is no way a network deal could match the money the UFC makes on PPVs. That is why big name boxers left TV long ago and none of them have ever give up the big money to come back to TV and eventually led to the down fall they are experiencing in viewers now.

The average UFC now draws 500K buys. Thats 25 million in revenue. Then they can rebroadcast the event on Spike and get a few hundred K in ad revenue(commercials).

Even if the UFC event on network TV was the most watched show period on TV. It would be very hard for them to get 25 million. And thats the average PPV.

The UFC will use the network event like they do Fight Nights on Spike. Just a way to build young fighters fanbase and encrease the number of people who buy the PPV.

Dana has said many times in the last year that he would still put some big fights on TV, since that's one of the things that he hated about boxing. Also, Zuffa only gets a 40% share of the PPV revenue, so that 25 instantly becomes a 10.
Brain_Smasher
8/27/09 10:56:25PM
I didnt say he wouldnt put on big fights. He has put on big fights on Spike. Like the Tito vs Ken fight. That was a big money fight. But from what i have read. The net works want Big time PPV level events on TV. Not just a few good fights. And the networks arent willing to pay the UFC want it would take for the UFC to be willing to put a big event on TV.

If the UFC is going to put on big events on network TV. That network will have to put some effort into it. It wont happen if the network tries to go by cheaply. The UFC wants Prime Time money and i dont believe the networks are willing to pay that.

Keep in mind my first post was an answer to someone who asked it it was the end of PPV. I didnt say the UFC would give us bum fights but network TV can never match the PPV revenue. Your right on the 40% PPV cut. But that is still closer to 15 mill not 10. Even at 15 million which is just the average run of the mill UFC PPV. NOt the blockbuster 1 million buy events they do. It would still require the UFC to be able to draw a 10+ HH Ratings share to warrent that kind of money. 10+ rating would be almost impossible to achieve for a sport that mostly appeals to males under 40 years old. I dont see a network putting that much into a product that hasnt proved to pull those kind of numbers.

The UFC will put big fights on free TV as long as fighter pay stays affordable. The more fighters make the more watered down all cards become. IF it gets like boxing purses then Free TV wouldnt pay well enought for the UFC to put on a big PPV draw.
grappler0000
8/27/09 11:14:32PM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

I didnt say he wouldnt put on big fights. He has put on big fights on Spike. Like the Tito vs Ken fight. That was a big money fight. But from what i have read. The net works want Big time PPV level events on TV. Not just a few good fights. And the networks arent willing to pay the UFC want it would take for the UFC to be willing to put a big event on TV.

If the UFC is going to put on big events on network TV. That network will have to put some effort into it. It wont happen if the network tries to go by cheaply. The UFC wants Prime Time money and i dont believe the networks are willing to pay that.

Keep in mind my first post was an answer to someone who asked it it was the end of PPV. I didnt say the UFC would give us bum fights but network TV can never match the PPV revenue. Your right on the 40% PPV cut. But that is still closer to 15 mill not 10. Even at 15 million which is just the average run of the mill UFC PPV. NOt the blockbuster 1 million buy events they do. It would still require the UFC to be able to draw a 10+ HH Ratings share to warrent that kind of money. 10+ rating would be almost impossible to achieve for a sport that mostly appeals to males under 40 years old. I dont see a network putting that much into a product that hasnt proved to pull those kind of numbers.

The UFC will put big fights on free TV as long as fighter pay stays affordable. The more fighters make the more watered down all cards become. IF it gets like boxing purses then Free TV wouldnt pay well enought for the UFC to put on a big PPV draw.

OK, we're kind of on the same page then. But, I don't think boxing can put big fights on free TV because there are so few stars...well, that and they're greedy. I think MMA has a much greater number of fan favorites. So, yes, there still needs to be an incentive to spend money on the PPV cards, but I think they have more breathing room than boxing does. And...10 mil is exactly 40%.
Brain_Smasher
8/27/09 11:30:45PM
Well i was think the UFC got 60%. Thats where i was coming from. The truth is we dont know what their % is. Most companies only get 40%. But big companies with leverage negotiate for a bigger cut. But its in that ball park.

Boxing has no organization like the UFC to regulate its fighters and lay down a plan and ground work for the future. Boxing has individual fighters all looking out for themselves and have to answer to no one. An Oscar De Lahoya, Maywether , et would never get the amount of money from a network as they do PPV. Even though it would makes younger kids fans of the sport. The fighters wont take that pay cut to let another fighter down the road cash in. Now those younger kids are watching MMA. To bad. One day the fighter pay in MMA will get to te point it will kill of promotions like the UFC who put on cards with 20 fighters we know, who build the sport. Thats why i hate when fighters get greedy and hold out. Kind of off topic but oh well. LOL

No matter what the quality of cards on network tv are. With a good match maker who knows the sport they should be able to create as many stars as they wants. Styles make fights and every one can be beat. With those golden rules a good match maker knows how to build a fighter. So the UFC can create enough stars to fill the network bill and still have the very best fighters on PPV.
grappler0000
8/28/09 12:11:02AM
It's almost a guarantee that the UFC gets 40. The only real exception to the rule is the WWE, because they've been a PPV powerhouse for 20+ years. As long as the UFC continues to top the PPV market, I see them being able to negotiate a better deal down the road on cable, but even then only slightly. Satellite is most likely where they've got a good thing going.
lll-lll
8/28/09 2:01:26AM
I agree that it is either ESPN or HBO. I wouldn't ever think HBO if not for Dana's recent hate of Showtime. Makes me think Dana is talking crap since he is close with HBO now. Before he seemed to not hate Showtime and despise HBO. With the new deal in the UK with ESPN everyone knew that a possible US deal could be soon to follow. I would guess ESPN. Although I would love to see the UFC on network, I doubt that is the deal.

IMO it is clear the network deal could be the most lucrative deal for the UFC if handled correctly and given time. Short term the PPVs can't be touched, but longterm network deals are the end game. Right now the UFC is drawing ne major demographic (18-34), but those people displace the older generation. They also get their kids interested in MMA. The numbers for the UFC, IF HANDLED CORRECTLY, have nowhere to go but up.

BTW speaking of the future of MMA. Does anyone else see Dana as an Al Davis like figure for the rest of his days?
emfleek
8/28/09 8:32:20AM
To Whom It May Concern,

If this broadcast deal is, indeed, a deal with ESPN, I will love you long time.

Signed,
Fleek
emfleek
8/28/09 9:59:07AM
Okay...so it's not going to be ESPN or HBO.

Anyone think HDNet is in the running?
1daveufc
8/28/09 11:06:36AM
Well if its not manchester its not manchester.But if Bisping vs Kang is the headline fight al be so pissed a wanted to see a big fight since it was like ages since its been to england.
emfleek
8/28/09 11:10:32AM

Posted by 1daveufc

Well if its not manchester its not manchester.But if Bisping vs Kang is the headline fight al be so pissed a wanted to see a big fight since it was like ages since its been to england.

It's only been 6 months, bro!
prozacnation1978
8/28/09 11:51:14AM
yeah has to be HBO or espn
only thing i can think off is a show to go against strikeforce in nov,
but still this might not happen,