Penn Retiring? You BELIEVE it?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Penn Retiring? You BELIEVE it?
TeamDEY
10/29/11 11:45:02PM
Does Penn really retire??? I say no. I say he goes back to LW but who knows. Penn looked good the first round then gassed. What do you guys think?
ghandikush
10/29/11 11:47:54PM

Posted by TeamDEY

Does Penn really retire??? I say no. I say he goes back to LW but who knows. Penn looked good the first round then gassed. What do you guys think?

I think he's one of the most talented of all time, and he sucks ass in big fights.
Budgellism
10/29/11 11:47:58PM
There are still plenty of great fights for him at LW. He doesn't belong at 170 and he's proved it several times by gassing out. Stick to 155 and fight guys like Cerrone, Pettis, Guida, Bendo, Maynard, etc.
kopower
10/29/11 11:48:18PM
Doesn't seem like his heart is in it anymore. I say yes. I think it would take a lot for him to come back and fight again.
karn501
10/29/11 11:49:02PM
shouldn't be an option yet this should probably go in the spoilers though
kopower
10/29/11 11:49:18PM

Posted by Budgellism

There are still plenty of great fights for him at LW. He doesn't belong at 170 and he's proved it several times by gassing out. Stick to 155 and fight guys like Cerrone, Pettis, Guida, Bendo, Maynard, etc.

Sad thing is, I believe all the guys you mentioned would beat Penn
sbulldavid
10/29/11 11:50:02PM
I think Penn is retired. 1-3-1 in his last 5 fights in two divisions, BJ's ego can't handle being a stepping stone.
hashyandy4
10/29/11 11:55:51PM
I hope he doesnt retire, but i wouldnt be suprized at all if he really did. Great fight tho, Nick looked great
Jd2K
10/30/11 12:00:09AM

Posted by TeamDEY

I don't think so man cause he was just a little emotional after the loss. I agree with you on BJ going back to lightweight. He gassed out too quick and at least while he's starts to lose weight to cut down to lightweight he'll get better conditioning along the way. I've always said BJ looks better at lightweight so should start working his way back up the latter in the lightweight division. Probably against the loser of one of the upcoming high profile fights, or maybe even Melvin Guilard
Budgellism
10/30/11 12:08:04AM

Posted by kopower

Posted by Budgellism

Sad thing is, I believe all the guys you mentioned would beat Penn

I think Penn beats Pettis and Guida and maybe Maynard. It definitely doesn't seem like he's in it anymore though so I wouldn't be surprised to never see him fight again. Cro Cop and Penn on the same night is depressing but both went out with a fight tonight.
karn501
10/30/11 12:08:38AM

Posted by Jd2K

Posted by TeamDEY Does Penn really retire??? I say no. I say he goes back to LW but who knows. Penn looked good the first round then gassed. What do you guys think?
I don't think so man cause he was just a little emotional after the loss. I agree with you on BJ going back to lightweight. He gassed out too quick and at least while he's starts to lose weight to cut down to lightweight he'll get better conditioning along the way. I've always said BJ looks better at lightweight so should start working his way back up the latter in the lightweight division. Probably against the loser of one of the upcoming high profile fights, or maybe even Melvin Guilard

i agree with you except putting guillard in with penn would destroy his dreams he can't come close to handling bj's ground game
ghandikush
10/30/11 12:32:03AM

Posted by karn501

Posted by Jd2K

Posted by TeamDEY

i agree with you except putting guillard in with penn would destroy his dreams he can't come close to handling bj's ground game

Melvin cant bust that chin.
KungFuMaster
10/30/11 12:36:48AM
I think it was emotions speaking. He suffered the worst lost of his career in terms of physical punishment. Once he settles down, I think he will come back for more.....maybe more punishment but nevertheless - more.
emfleek
10/30/11 12:38:38AM
He's been hinting at it and talking about it for way too long now. I think he's actually done and, imo, seems like the kind of guy that can be at peace with it.

I hope he's not, though. I was never much of a fan until that clinic he put on Diego and now I consider him to be a favorite.
TeamDEY
10/30/11 1:10:47AM

Posted by emfleek

He's been hinting at it and talking about it for way too long now. I think he's actually done and, imo, seems like the kind of guy that can be at peace with it.

I hope he's not, though. I was never much of a fan until that clinic he put on Diego and now I consider him to be a favorite.

yea i agree... i hope he drops back down to LW and give it another run at the title
Kpro
10/30/11 1:34:44AM
If someone other than Edgar or GSP held the titles and BJ was offered a shot to come out of retirement to fight for the title I think he'd take it, just like Randy Couture did against Tim Sylvia. Getting the shot on name recognition alone. Unfortunately for him, divisions are more stacked now than they were years ago so it's hard to picture that happening.

Other than that, I believe it.

His only losses he hasn't avenged are Machida (not happening), GSP (0-2), Edgar (0-2), and now Diaz (announced retirement).
LuckyCharms
10/30/11 2:35:25AM

Posted by kopower

Doesn't seem like his heart is in it anymore. I say yes. I think it would take a lot for him to come back and fight again.

prozacnation1978
10/30/11 3:06:07AM
I ran out of the arena right after the fight. I just found out about the retirement a hour ago

Crazy to see crocop and penn retire. But I am glad I saw them fight tonight
They both fought good
Poor_Franklin
10/30/11 12:00:32PM
if BJ doesn't care anymore, i hope he does retire
Jd2K
10/30/11 12:06:55PM
Well I don't think the UFC would throw BJ Penn with the lions of the lightweight division so maybe they'd go ahead and give him the easy(er) rout by pitting him up against Melvin Guillard.
RJPala
10/30/11 12:44:39PM
I don't think he will retire for good. If UFC offers him an interesting fight he will probably take it, though he doesn't seem to have it in him anymore to train hard.
prophecy033
10/30/11 8:03:19PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by TeamDEY

I think he's one of the most talented of all time, and he sucks ass in big fights.

Dude, he was a 2 division champ he just ran into buzzsaws named GSP and Edgar
Pookie
10/30/11 8:22:19PM
I think he's done. Short of him getting the chance to fight for a title against someone he knows he can beat.

Penn, one of the best of all time. Who else could go up a division and fight the #2 guy to a draw. And that's out of his prime.
Geoffo
10/30/11 9:21:24PM
I think he retires, its not like he needs the money or anything.
And I don't think he likes training. They're gonna put him up with hard guys and hes going to become a gatekeeper.
Think hes retiring for real.