will penn really retire?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » will penn really retire?
POLL: have we seen bj fight for the last time
yes 8% (4)
no 81% (43)
don KING 11% (6)
MFOTHER
2/3/09 3:31:35PM
he claims he wanted 94 to be his last, and he has to think about fighting again....thoughts?
Franklinfan47
2/3/09 3:46:45PM
I really hope not. It would be unfortunate to see a great fighter like him go out like that. I personally am thinking/hoping he's too stuborn to let his last fight be remembered as an absolute destruction by GSP.

I dont see why he seems so uncontent to just be the best lw fighter in the world. There is still alot of great fights for him there. Florian, Sanchez, Aoki, Alvarez, would all be great fights.
wiggum
2/3/09 3:59:59PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

I really hope not. It would be unfortunate to see a great fighter like him go out like that. I personally am thinking/hoping he's too stuborn to let his last fight be remembered as an absolute destruction by GSP.

I dont see why he seems so uncontent to just be the best lw fighter in the world. There is still alot of great fights for him there. Florian, Sanchez, Aoki, Alvarez, would all be great fights.

i agree hes too stubborn to go out on a loss...wether its this year or next, he'll fight again....the thing is, those lw fights are big and are awesome and i'd love to see everyone of them, yet, they are not bj penn big.....he wants the biggest fight possible at the time....sherk vs penn st pierre vs penn hughes vs penn.....unfortunatly, and this is my opionon, but right now there arent any of those kind huge marquee matchups in the lw division....not saying talent-wise (cuz those are legit matchups) but legendary wise is what im getting at......he's got no motivation, hes pinnacel acheiver not a pinnacal keeper if ya see what im sayin' (and i cant spell)...i just hope he decides sooner rather than later if he wants to go on a lw run
Twenty20Dollars
2/3/09 5:55:56PM
yes.
casey64
2/3/09 6:05:58PM
No, I dont think so, I hope BJ now knows, he is better at LW.
nickcuc547
2/3/09 6:16:59PM
now way, he has too much to prove still, the guy is on the cusp of being a true legend, but he isn't there yet, cleaning out the lw division, which i suspect he can and will do, will be the icing on the cake for bj.
NatedawgThaM
2/3/09 6:21:04PM
I don't think he will yet until he loses that LW title.

I mean he still has two good fights ahead of him, Florian and Diego I believe. Both fights I believe that are too close for me too call IMO. Two great fights and if he wins them both then he can retire as the greatest lightweight champion of all time after clearing out.
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/3/09 7:39:28PM
I think he could beat both Florian and Sanchez. He should definately have a couple more defences of his title before retiring, BJ is undoubtabley the best lightweight in the business
MMACombat
2/3/09 9:45:04PM
Never. Well, not yet anyway. Look at it this way, if Penn had of moved up to WW and beat GSP while he was considered to be top 3 P4P in the sport, what better way to retire? I doubt he'd retire losing the way he did. I'd say he's just disappointed more than anything.
Drudinh
2/4/09 1:04:03AM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

I think he could beat both Florian and Sanchez. He should definately have a couple more defences of his title before retiring, BJ is undoubtabley the best lightweight in the business

I could see florian... But I like sanchez a lot at lw. I'm excited to see what is to come
EvenFlow
2/4/09 1:28:23AM
BJ will go back to LW and keep it until he retires in a few years imho.
MattHughesRules
2/4/09 10:27:32AM
I am guessing this is not going to happen. He loves to fight and if he stays at 155 he is going to be very successful for a long time. As much as I love Florian I don't think he can handle BJ. Plus....he has an ego...there is no way he will want his last dance in the cage to be that beatdown by GSP.
copcopps
2/4/09 5:02:26PM
I think he's gonna pull a Melvin Manhoef
gsquat
2/4/09 5:26:14PM
No. It's post fight depression. Give him a little bit and he'll come to grips with the fact that he belongs at 155 and can dominate there.
breakdown5
2/4/09 5:43:24PM
I don't think that he'll retire. There are some good fights for him at LW, especially if he can get out of the UFC after Florian and go fight in Japan. I'd love to see him fight Aoki, Alvarez, JZ, and Hansen. Aside from Florian, Japan has the rest of the best LWs in the world.
bls1919
2/4/09 6:55:11PM
Bj is turning out to be the head case we all thought he was. I think after Florian rips that LW belt away from him, BJ will fade away.