Penn: Realising The Dream, Building A Legend

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Penn: Realising The Dream, Building A Legend
MMAcca
11/27/08 12:55:40PM
"I run as hard as I can. I lift as much weights as I can. I do as much jiu-jitsu as I can. Why not take this as far as I can? You know? Just see how far you can go, for once in your life. Step up and see what you really could have done. That's what I want to do."

That is how B.J. Penn thinks. He doesn't dwell on wins and losses or how many championship belts collect dust on his mantle or how many fancy cars he can park in the garage. He operates on a different plane, a plane reserved for icons and legends.

"I want to leave a mark in this sport.

LINK
Porch28
11/27/08 9:01:36PM
And for this reason alone is why this fight should not happen
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/28/08 12:29:14AM

Posted by Porch28

And for this reason alone is why this fight should not happen

WTF r u talking about? I don't get it. The fight shouldn't happen b/c BJ is gonna whoop him????????

BJ is on a roll and it's going to take more than a GSP to derail him!
Porch28
11/28/08 10:07:43AM
I agree with the Penn prediction but I'm not a real fan of guys holding belts in 2 weight classes. Neither one of them has to do that to be considered a legend Penn already is and GSP is on his way. Wouldn't it be better to make 20 title defenses rather then hold 2 belts? That's just my opinion
cmb19932
11/28/08 11:32:35AM
holding belts in to weight classes is an amazing feat but it can only complicate things
MaxOne
11/28/08 1:16:41PM
I love the idea of a fighter holding and defending belts in multiple weight classes in theory. I expect BJ to win against pierre but will be disappointed if he does win but doesn't fight twice as often to defend both belts. Other wise we are stuck with a lot of non title fights...which i like but I also like to see the champ challenged which will probably happen less often. Especially when you consider comments BJ has made about fighting once or twice a year.
Jim_Dangle
11/28/08 1:42:02PM

Posted by cmb19932

holding belts in to weight classes is an amazing feat but it can only complicate things

Exactly. If Penn wins Dana better force him to pick one to keep. Even corrupt boxing organizations will make you pick a belt, ala Mayweather after DLH when he had the WW and JMW WBC straps.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/29/08 1:39:47AM
I agree but which belt will BJ give back?
MMAcca
11/29/08 3:06:29PM
If BJ is willing to fight often (every 10-12 weeks or so) there is no reason he can't defend both imo.