BJ Penn ranked at welterweight?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » BJ Penn ranked at welterweight?
BerndRealBad
11/13/07 1:17:41PM
There are many rankings in the general top 10 which make absolutely no sense, but this one puzzles me. Why is BJ Penn ranked 7th in the welterweight division on this site, ahead of Diego Sanchez no less, when BJ hasn't fought at the division in over a year, and hasn't won a fight in the division since 2005? Anyone have a reasonable answer?
Kainlock
11/13/07 4:16:09PM
Because the ranking is done by all of us. Some people just want to put him in there. Just like Henderson in middlewieght.
KOright89
11/13/07 6:55:04PM

Posted by Kainlock

Because the ranking is done by all of us. Some people just want to put him in there. Just like Henderson in middlewieght.

True
atlas777
11/14/07 1:50:48PM
If BJ she be anywhere he should be on th WW list and not on th LW list it just doesnt make sense that he would be on the LW list after beating only Jens Pulver who lost his last fight to joe lauzon i dont think BJ Penn deserves a shot at the title at LW not yet anyways hes lost 2 of his last 3 fights and beat a tiny guy who has been gone for a long time in jens pulver just doesnt make sense to me
BerndRealBad
11/15/07 3:12:28AM
I don't really think he should be on either to tell the truth. The LW makes a little more sense because he fought there recently, and hasn't fought at WW in over a year, much like the other person mentioned people putting Dan Henderson on their MW list. It just seems as though some people refuse to acknowledge that there is MMA outside of UFC.
CornishMMA
11/15/07 12:10:16PM
It doesnt matter than BJ lost to GSP and Hughes, he equitted himself very well in those fights and could have won both, that and the skill level we know he possess means he has to be ranked there now, but if he wins and stays at LW he shouldnt be ranked in both
quezocrema0032
11/23/07 12:20:49AM
You wanna know y penns ranked so high ? ... Cause other then stpierre ... and thts it cuz hughes win was a fluke ... no one can beat him ... yea he hasnt fought in awhile but none of those guys would beat him thts y hes on the list
11/25/07 5:05:30PM
yeh bj at ww dosn't make much sense. I only rank guys at one weight class.
Who thinks that there should be 2 light weight divisons that we can rank? 160 and 155? let me know what you think.
Lord_Lenny
11/25/07 5:52:05PM
I have him on both because on this site you are supposed to rank them on skill, and not recent accomplishments. I have Henderson #2 on MW and LHW, BJ at #1 LW and top 5 WW because they have fought at both and showed a lot of skill at both
mkiv9secsupra
11/28/07 3:25:25AM

Posted by BerndRealBad

There are many rankings in the general top 10 which make absolutely no sense, but this one puzzles me. Why is BJ Penn ranked 7th in the welterweight division on this site, ahead of Diego Sanchez no less, when BJ hasn't fought at the division in over a year, and hasn't won a fight in the division since 2005? Anyone have a reasonable answer?

because i rank fighters based on their skill and ability to beat other top tens at the moment and NOT based on if you have fought recently.
madmarck
12/4/07 9:07:32PM
If you dont want him ranked at Welterweight....... then don't rank him there.
He has done very well in the WW division in the past UFC events, albeit he lost he came a close decision to GSP and dominatyed Hughes for 2 rounds. That takes a certain amount of skill.