Penn vs Kenflo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Penn vs Kenflo
POLL: BJ vs Kenflo
BJ 57% (37)
Kenny 43% (28)
outshined
3/26/09 5:37:45PM
Who do you got. I'm picking Kenny by referee stoppage from a cut in the 3rd round
CwB
3/26/09 5:47:06PM
I still think Penn is the best Lightweight in the world but all this greasegate crap might take the focus away from penn's training which is always in question anyways.

I think Kenny will train harder then he has ever trained before plus he has been on a tear lately

so im going with kenny to pull of the upset... just dont know how yet

P.S.
my opinion might change as we get closer to fight time, august is a long way off, depending on penns mind frame and other news that will pop up
Hendo67
3/26/09 5:57:55PM
Kenflo via UD, i think he's got the tools to beat Bj
mkiv9secsupra
3/26/09 6:07:58PM
Wow the odds so far are 5:1 in favor of Kenflo?! keep it up guys, you all are going to help me earn a ton of money!

BJ by TKO in the 3rd. Penn is a better wrester, striker, and has better BJJ.
slapshot
3/26/09 6:13:25PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Wow the odds so far are 5:1 in favor of Kenflo?! keep it up guys, you all are going to help me earn a ton of money!

BJ by TKO in the 3rd. Penn is a better wrester, striker, and has better BJJ.

IMO 2nd round TKO.
Wolfenstein
3/26/09 6:39:45PM
I think Kenflo has a great chance at pulling off the upset, but I will probably pick the safer bet in Penn, unless there are underdog points available. Kenny is probably one of the most improved fighters in the UFC, but I'm not sure he has improved enough to beat BJ when the fight hits the ground and Penn is on top. Penn was able to take down GSP at one point, even though he only held him down for half a second, it was an impressive feat.

I also don't think you can disregard just how tenative Florian was, in his bout with Roger Huerta. Kenny was very wary of Roger's power, and I believe Penn packs an even more significant wallop.

I believe Kenny has more complete standup, but the disparity in power, and grappling ability may be a little too much to overcome.
bls1919
3/26/09 7:10:21PM
BJ is a head case IMO. Kenny can beat BJ if he connects standing and then can throw a GnP beatdown....most likely with elbows. He has it. I dont think i will pick Bj unitl he shows some fire again. I know he is the LW champ but he out boxed a wrestler(sherk) to retain his title. I think Kenny has a very legit chance of winning and probably going to pick him.
chickmagnet
3/26/09 8:01:55PM
BJ by tko....

His hands are way crisper then Kenny's and I doubt Kenny will take him down...Kenny will throw the kicks but when he does BJ will go in. Kenny doesnt do very well under pressure. We saw when Sherk got right up in Kenny's face Kenny forgot about the takedown. Also in the Lauzon fight, Joe was doing very well in the first round..he took Kenny down twice and had some good submission attempts. BJ
is going to stay composed but put the pressure on Kenny and bloody him up quick. I think its gonna be very similar to Penn/St. Pierre 1 but minus the takedowns. So you are gonna see Kenny trying to hang in there but getting overwhelmed...

Conclusion: BJ by tko in round 2
Tein_Lung
3/27/09 12:43:01AM
the safe money is on BJ... but IMO i think BJ is going to underestimate him and not train like he should and get beat... BJ is an excelent fighter... but that gets him into trouble IMO he relys on his talent far too much at times instead of training for fights like he should...

regardless of teh greasegate garbage GSP beat him like a red headed step child and no amount of grease or dryness would of changed that... i think BJ is going to go into the fight thinking that he lost because of grease instead of losing to a fighter that far outclassed him and instead of learning from his mistakes hes going to think he needs to improve on nothing and lose yet again instead of training
Pookie
3/27/09 2:38:37AM
Kenny's hands arent up to par with BJ, i dont think hes going to be able to throw penn off his game with the lack of power in his hands.
He can utilize leg kicks, but he wont be able to set them up well with his punches.

Bj just owns him if they throw hands IMO.
Gipper
3/27/09 3:35:20AM
penn ............. he's a step above in striking and jiu jitsu
The_Italian_Stallion
3/27/09 11:01:53AM
Everyone is forgetting so fast about what happened to BJ...

He was embarresed by GSP, absolutely tooled. And I know for a FACT that that hit him close to home and rattled him. His head is nowhere near where it should be. He's grasping for tiny little threads and trying to get the GSP fight overturned instead of training!

I think Kenny goes out and outworks him... UD in a lopsided stand up fight.
EvenFlow
3/27/09 11:10:21AM
I hate mmath but it works here, BJ > Sherk > Florian. It's just a horrible matchup for Kenny, Sherk himself even thinks this is a horrible matchup for Kenny (and any LW really) and predicts that BJ will win dominatly. If the guy who fought them both dosnt understand this matchup well then no one does. I wont be counting Kenny out completely but hes pedeling uphill on this one just like the Sherk fight. I'm getting sick of Kennys hype and its coming mostly from he ridiculous BJ hate no question. Whens the last time Kenny fought one of the wrestling juggernaut LWs like Tyson who would probably all win decisions against Kenny. Hes just screwed imho hes fighting the cream of the crop at LW, a guy whos gonna keep coming forward and not let Kenny set up, better on the ground, Kennys blood will be spilled.
EvenFlow
3/27/09 11:14:15AM

Posted by The_Italian_Stallion

He was embarresed by GSP, absolutely tooled. And I know for a FACT that that hit him close to home and rattled him. His head is nowhere near where it should be. He's grasping for tiny little threads and trying to get the GSP fight overturned instead of training!

Obviously BJ knows he isnt getting it overturned so your logic there is a bit confusing he will be ready, this is just classic BJ hate. How does one compare a LW fighter like Kenny to a heavy WW champion in GSP? thats ludicrous.
KaibaThedon
3/27/09 11:45:11AM
Gotta take KenFlo for this one.

3rd round TKO or UD.
slapshot
3/27/09 3:13:28PM

Kenflo is no GSP, everything kenflo dose BJ dose better. Sherk dominated him and I dont see any reason BJ wont do the same in his own style. To me its because he just lost that he will have the drive to really come out and destroy Kenny. I dont even think its a close fight.

Where can Kenny take this fight to that he has a advantage? He cant out strike him, he cant sub him, BJ will be bigger and stronger its really really hard for me to see Kenny being able to be effective with his elbows or ground and pound even if he dose get top position (not that he will), BJ's guard is one of the best and kenflo dose not have the wrestling to keep BJ on the mat like GSP did.

The one and only saving grace Kenflo COULD have is conditioning, if he can make it out of the first three rounds he has a shot at a decision, but to me those are long odds because he would have to win one of the three rounds and I dont see that happening I dont even see this going three rounds.
the_01
3/27/09 4:55:22PM
Penn has talent, but no dedication, and I think, at the moment, he is kicking back at home relaxing and waiting for the anouncement of the fight inorder to start traing. Whereas Kenn is desperate for the title, and he is doing the imposssible at the moment getting ready for the fight, even though it has not been scheduled, or is it?
bls1919
3/27/09 7:59:38PM
Also I saw in an interview Kenny is going to train with GSP for a bit for this fight.
kaskd
3/27/09 8:26:27PM
I am amazed at the amount of people picking Kenny. Where does everyone think Kenny will have a chance? If someone says cardio I'm going to throw a fit. BJ just showed his lightweight cardio is good enough to hang with 2 extremely good wrestlers. Ken Flo doesn't even push the pace enough to gas BJ.

Now, I'm glad no one thinks K-Flo is going to win on the ground, but standing?! BJ Penn has some outstanding stand-up and a chin like iron. There is no where to win. Sure K-Flo can go train with GSP and try to outwrestle BJ, but other than GSP how has the worked for the other wrestlers?

Yeah, this is a tough decision . BJ Penn by however he wants.
Tein_Lung
3/27/09 10:10:42PM

Posted by kaskd

I am amazed at the amount of people picking Kenny. Where does everyone think Kenny will have a chance? If someone says cardio I'm going to throw a fit. BJ just showed his lightweight cardio is good enough to hang with 2 extremely good wrestlers. Ken Flo doesn't even push the pace enough to gas BJ.

Now, I'm glad no one thinks K-Flo is going to win on the ground, but standing?! BJ Penn has some outstanding stand-up and a chin like iron. There is no where to win. Sure K-Flo can go train with GSP and try to outwrestle BJ, but other than GSP how has the worked for the other wrestlers?

Yeah, this is a tough decision . BJ Penn by however he wants.

lol BJs cardio is getting to the point of where hes predictable... you get him past the second round and hes done... please tell me how many 5 round fights hes been in and won... the only 5 rounder i remember him being in was with Jens Pulver and he got beat on for the last 3 rounds....... BJs cardio only looks good because his finishes most his fights before he gasses... the longer a fight goes the better it is for who ever BJ is fighting
The_Italian_Stallion
3/29/09 10:08:01AM

Posted by slapshot

Kenflo is no GSP, everything kenflo dose BJ dose better. Sherk dominated him and I dont see any reason BJ wont do the same in his own style. To me its because he just lost that he will have the drive to really come out and destroy Kenny. I dont even think its a close fight.

Where can Kenny take this fight to that he has a advantage? He cant out strike him, he cant sub him, BJ will be bigger and stronger its really really hard for me to see Kenny being able to be effective with his elbows or ground and pound even if he dose get top position (not that he will), BJ's guard is one of the best and kenflo dose not have the wrestling to keep BJ on the mat like GSP did.

The one and only saving grace Kenflo COULD have is conditioning, if he can make it out of the first three rounds he has a shot at a decision, but to me those are long odds because he would have to win one of the three rounds and I dont see that happening I dont even see this going three rounds.

I never once said that Kenny is a better fighter or is better at BJ in anything.

What I did say is that BJ's head is no where near were it needs to be to be on the kind of stage he's going to be on.

BJ is pathetic really, I mean he's making movies and whining to media about this GSP fight, he's bringing his MOMMY to NSAC hearings!!! I mean come on, grow up and take your loss like a man and move on.

If you think he's training seriously, like training for a title defense right now you have problems. If he's training at all and that's a big IF, he's only doing easy one a days you do on your downtime.

BJ is broke mentally and this whole NSAC process just keeps him from fixing it... so I repeat Kenny by UD (note Kenny doesn't finish him because he can't!)

PS: Kenny does not equal GSP, it was just an example to prove my point!
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/09 10:38:21AM

If you think he's training seriously, like training for a title defense right now you have problems. If he's training at all and that's a big IF, he's only doing easy one a days you do on your downtime.

BJ is broke mentally and this whole NSAC process just keeps him from fixing it... so I repeat Kenny by UD (note Kenny doesn't finish him because he can't!)

Im curious just how the hell you know all this about BJ? How do you know this wont motivate him to come back better than ever?! Did you read his mind or something? Sounds like you hate BJ and nothing more.
chitown97
3/29/09 3:28:54PM
It's BJ's fight to lose. He CAN be the best lightweight on the planet if he is committed and stays committed for an entire training camp. He should stop training with "yes men" who think he can just walk into the ring as is and whoop up on anyone.
I am not underestimating Kenny by any means but BJ is better than him in every aspect of the fight...that is if he is prepared.
I say BJ sucks up his pride, washes off the loss to GSP, focuses on being the best lightweight in the UFC, and pulls off a dominating finish of Kenflo.
However, on a side note, I can't pick a winner for the life of me recently so Kenny will probably pull off a TKO.
slapshot
3/29/09 5:21:46PM

I never once said that Kenny is a better fighter or is better at BJ in anything.

What I did say is that BJ's head is no where near were it needs to be to be on the kind of stage he's going to be on.

BJ is pathetic really, I mean he's making movies and whining to media about this GSP fight, he's bringing his MOMMY to NSAC hearings!!! I mean come on, grow up and take your loss like a man and move on.

PS: Kenny does not equal GSP, it was just an example to prove my point!

And my point was that you have a opinion based on speculation, BJ is not broke, he has lost before and he rebounds just like every other fighter. I dont like him as a person myself but the truth is there is no reason he should lose this fight.

As far as training, I think BJ could train harder but his work ethic is still a far cry from eating potato chips on the couch and drinking beer, he DOMINATED Sherk with the same work ethic he has now, just because you want him to fold mentally that dose not make it so.

Posted by The_Italian_Stallion If you think he's training seriously, like training for a title defense right now you have problems.

Is that a feeble attempt to call other people stupid because they dont agree with your opinion based analogy? It doesn't take much to get the boot here so just a tip tread lightly.

Anyway till someone with practical knowledge says he is not ready Im not going to let that factor into my pick, even if he's not in total peak shape he still takes kenflo IMO.
GSPCanada
3/29/09 7:10:23PM

Posted by chitown97

It's BJ's fight to lose. He CAN be the best lightweight on the planet if he is committed and stays committed for an entire training camp. He should stop training with "yes men" who think he can just walk into the ring as is and whoop up on anyone.
I am not underestimating Kenny by any means but BJ is better than him in every aspect of the fight...that is if he is prepared.
I say BJ sucks up his pride, washes off the loss to GSP, focuses on being the best lightweight in the UFC, and pulls off a dominating finish of Kenflo.
However, on a side note, I can't pick a winner for the life of me recently so Kenny will probably pull off a TKO.

I think the best way to put it is that it's bj's fight to lose. you guys can say what you want about cardio and work ethic but it takes more than one training camp to gain great cardio probably more than one or two years to do so. I don't care if bj is training right now or still making his case, his cardio will not be as good as kenflo's same rule applies for his last 2 fights, the longer the fight goes the worse it is for bj. you better believe this is probably.

I know kenny hasnt faced anyone like bj, but at the sametime, i cant remember the last time bj beat a well-rounded fighter, maybe gomi cause hughes, ludwig, pulver, stevenson, sherk, are all one dimensional, florian may not be as good at bjj than sherk but he can hang with him, penn has good hands but not better muay thai. if ur betting money go ahead and bet penn, but u would be crazy to think that penn will take this one easily
JimiMak
3/31/09 4:56:02PM
that's cute that so many of you are going w/ the kid. Fact is BJ is better everywhere the fight goes. Not saying Kenny has no shot.... but what's he gonna do? out JJ BJ? lol BJ has better standup and ground work. The only reason Kenny could take this is cuz anyone could take any fight.