BJ Penn vs. Josh Koscheck??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ Penn vs. Josh Koscheck??
Jshep714
7/7/08 4:03:34AM
The article states that since nothing is stopping BJ Penn from moving up because of his one sided wins over Joe and Sherk that Josh Koscheck wouldn't mind moving down in weight to 155.
Does anbody think that Koscheck even has a chance?

LINK
Pookie
7/7/08 4:07:23AM
Stylistically i dont think he has much of one.

Bj penn is so flexible that it could possibly nulify koschecks amazing takedown abilities, but lets say he takes bj down... His outstanding quality is getting the takedown, not what happens when it hits the ground. I think BJ could sub him, or get on his back and gnp without too much effort. and on teh feet its all BJ.

joshryanshepherd
7/7/08 4:09:06AM
wtf is he thinkin? sure i would be fine with him out of the welter weight div but if he thinks he is gonna make 155 then let him down...(hes never gonna make it!!!!)
joshryanshepherd
7/7/08 4:11:50AM

Posted by Pookie

Bj penn is so flexible that it could possibly nulify koschecks amazing takedown abilities, but lets say he takes bj down... His outstanding quality is getting the takedown, not what happens when it hits the ground. I think BJ could sub him, or get on his back and gnp without too much effort. and on teh feet its all BJ.

i think kos is bigger stronger and a better wrestler than Hughes was/is. and kos's best chance is to try and get Bj exhausted (which may be hard now) and get the take down and get some good GnP goin...
Jshep714
7/7/08 4:21:10AM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

wtf is he thinkin? sure i would be fine with him out of the welter weight div but if he thinks he is gonna make 155 then let him down...(hes never gonna make it!!!!)

It said in the article that if he was dropping for a title shot that he would do it, but i think he wouldn't fare so well against BJ.
Pookie
7/7/08 4:23:39AM

Posted by Pookie

i think kos is bigger stronger and a better wrestler than Hughes was/is. and kos's best chance is to try and get Bj exhausted (which may be hard now) and get the take down and get some good GnP goin...

hes not bigger or stronger, but hes definitely more explosive and has better technique.
What hughes excelled at though was once it hit the ground he was/is really good at controlling positioning and postures. This is an area that i feel koscheck lacks. The WW division is almost entirely wrestlers, so once you get the fighter on the ground(which is where koscheck excelsat, takedowns) the fight is yours since if they do get back up you have that ability to put them back down. This is not a good gameplan against BJ at all.

Also another thing id like to point out was BJ was all around outclassing hughes when they fought each time(this is him in his prime too) until the injury occured and from then on bj was checkmated via crucifix. Hughes didnt outwreslt him, he broke him...or should i say bj broke himself.

Oh and look at koschecks record against fighters with the ability to take his back...
joshryanshepherd
7/7/08 4:34:07AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Pookie

hes not bigger or stronger, but hes definitely more explosive and has better technique.
What hughes excelled at though was once it hit the ground he was/is really good at controlling positioning and postures. This is an area that i feel koscheck lacks. The WW division is almost entirely wrestlers, so once you get the fighter on the ground(which is where koscheck excelsat, takedowns) the fight is yours since if they do get back up you have that ability to put them back down. This is not a good gameplan against BJ at all.

Also another thing id like to point out was BJ was all around outclassing hughes when they fought each time(this is him in his prime too) until the injury occured and from then on bj was checkmated via crucifix. Hughes didnt outwreslt him, he broke him...or should i say bj broke himself.

Oh and look at koschecks record against fighters with the ability to take his back...

idk man i dont think it was all technique when josh slammed GSP to the mat...
Pookie
7/7/08 4:35:02AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Pookie

its not, but its also not brute strength either lol.
joshryanshepherd
7/7/08 4:37:09AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Pookie

its not, but its also not brute strength either lol.

true words of a wise man. haha
Gipper
7/7/08 9:24:30AM
can't see him dropping down but those wrestler's are wizards at cutting weight so if he thinks he could do it all the power to him. i think he poses some serious problems for penn. i think thats what it's going to take to beat penn-strong wrestler. (gsp,hughes) but like i've said before i don't know if anybody can beat penn when he's in shape.
IriShame
7/7/08 12:48:11PM
Look, Sean Sherk, Matt hughes, Josh Koscheck, it doesn't matter. None of these guys have a shot at BJ. Even GSP would have his hands full and IMO would lose that fight. Yeah, I said it. I think BJ Penn is in his prime and is the best P4P fighter in the world this side of Anderson Silva. GSP is bigger and a better wrestler but BJ has been beating up bigger guys for most of his career. Koscheck is basically GSP Lite. The same skill set just not as good. He gets KO'd in the second round. Sorry Kos, wrong time to fight BJ Penn.
MoJoy
7/7/08 12:57:15PM
I would favor BJ but is crazy to say Kos has no chance. Hes a better wrestler than Hughes, and a better striker. How can you not be. He would have a great shot against BJ.
candynuts
7/7/08 12:59:24PM
Kos to 155?? Doesnt he usually weigh about 190 when he cuts to 155?
I dont see it happening.
MoJoy
7/7/08 2:50:27PM
He looks like a guy who could do it. Remember hes a wrestler. This is their bread and butter. Its more a question of how strong will he be, and how much energy he will have.
Jason-plata
7/7/08 4:03:35PM
Josh Koscheck will not have a chance in He!l against BJ. The last fight Kos was in he couldnt work on the groung. He would move to half guard and stay there. BJ will work him standing, on his back from the guard, half guard. Kos might have half of a chance if BJ comes down with the flu and goes blind in one eye the day of the fight.
jawbreaker517
7/7/08 7:05:18PM
The dude didnt go 42-0 in college wrestling for nothing. His strength at 155 would be unmatched, but bj's jiu jitsu and flexability is unmatched. On the feet, bj's boxing is way too advanced. Slim chance but probably not.
FrankTheTank1181
7/7/08 7:44:16PM

Posted by Jshep714

The article states that since nothing is stopping BJ Penn from moving up because of his one sided wins over Joe and Sherk that Josh Koscheck wouldn't mind moving down in weight to 155.
Does anbody think that Koscheck even has a chance?

LINK

Sure Koschek has a chance....a chance to get choked out