Will Bj penn hold the UFC Lightweight strap?(Poll)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will Bj penn hold the UFC Lightweight strap?(Poll)
POLL: Will Bj Penn be UFC LW Champ!
Yes 52% (26)
No 20% (10)
No, he'll go back to WW after the Pulver bout. 28% (14)
Believe-in-judo81
5/14/07 10:58:00PM
This one is fairly Self explanitory guys, let's hear what you have to say!

My.02- Bj has all the skills to do this and if he chooses to stay at LW I'd say he'll end up grabbing the belt. However, I have a bit of a hunch that he's just as interested, if not moreso, in going back up to Welterweight to avenge his loss to GSP and make some bank off a rubbermatch with the great (if a bit abrasive) Matt Hughes.

Your thoughts?
xthe_scottx
5/15/07 12:57:42AM
I agree that BJ could hold the LW belt but he said a while ago that after TUF 5, he will go back to WW. I think his best move would be to fight at 170 because dealing with an opponents strength has never been a problem for him (except against Machida) and he has proven he can be a contender at WW. Plus, who doesn't want to see Hughes vs Penn 3 or Penn vs St Pierre 2.
Northrend
5/15/07 1:32:59AM
Yeah, I see him destroying Pulver like Sakurai did. Then fighting maybe looser of Sherk/Franca..beating them. Then taking the title from Franca by sub.
Svartorm
5/15/07 1:38:31AM
I think he *could* hold it, but he won't for one reason. Penns only real weakness in his career has been his cardio, and if lightweights nowadays are known for anything, its that they go full throttle for an entire fight. I'm sure he could put away a good chunk of guys in the division, but a few of the workhorses like Sherk, Stevenson, Huerta, etc if they could hang with Penn, would probably at least outwork him for a decision, if not put him away in later rounds when hes tired.
Stickan
5/15/07 4:59:16AM
I don't think he ever will because I doubt he'll stay at 155.
Sheddy
5/15/07 9:06:05AM
If he was to stay at LW, I'm sure he would be champ.....but I don't think he'll stay at that weight, so my answer is no.
xchickox
5/15/07 10:34:59AM
i dont think BJ could beat Sean Sherk, i think sherk would dominate him
d_block07
5/15/07 1:37:35PM

Posted by Northrend

Yeah, I see him destroying Pulver like Sakurai did. Then fighting maybe looser of Sherk/Franca..beating them. Then taking the title from Franca by sub.

are you implying Franca is gonna beat Sherk? Wager?
FrankDukes
5/15/07 2:39:23PM
I'm sure he could be, but I doubt he will be to excited about having to cut to 155 lbs everytime. BJ is not known for his strict dieting.
FrankDukes
5/15/07 2:41:58PM

Posted by xchickox

Well, he was handling a better fighter with a similiar style to Sean untill he got injured and gassed.

I think that an in shape BJ is the best fighter in the world amongst anyone who can weigh less than 170.
Pookie
5/15/07 3:06:59PM

Posted by FrankDukes

Posted by xchickox

Well, he was handling a better fighter with a similiar style to Sean untill he got injured and gassed.

I think that an in shape BJ is the best fighter in the world amongst anyone who can weigh less than 170.

I second that. And pound for pound anybody under 200 in my opinion
rcg916
5/15/07 4:02:01PM
yeah, i dont think he wants to keep cutting... he will be back at ww, i would guess...
nubby
5/15/07 5:50:43PM
I recently rewatched the BJ and Rush fight. I really think that BJ won that fight. Rush's face was messed up, and it just seemed that although he got the take down 2 or 3 times, he was unable to do anything and then at the end BJ almost got a gogoplata to finish st pierre. I know people like to say that Rush is the future. But I think BJ is the now. Given a second change against Rush I think he would pull out the decision hands down.
the-james
5/15/07 5:59:52PM

Posted by xchickox

He dominated Matt Hughes 1 and a half times and Sherk is asmaller, not as talented Hughes so I think B.J Penn would take it easily, i dont think SHerk would be able to take him down easily, and even if he did BJ could win it from his back.
Northrend
5/15/07 7:28:04PM

Posted by d_block07

Posted by Northrend

Wagered it all on Rampage

Yes Franca IMO will beat Sherk, time will tell though.
JBatch
5/15/07 7:56:52PM
If BJ decides to stay at 155 I think he will hold the belt.\With BJ added to that weight class thier would be some very interesting fights. The LW division is really comming together I believe anyone in the top 5 could hold the belt if they come with confidence and a solid training regime.

Sherk
Franca
Huerta
Penn
Stevenson

Then on the outside of the top five there is tons of depth:
Fisher
Guillard
Griffin
Edgar
Kenflo
and this kid on TUF Joe Lauzon is going to be a real contender. There are many others as well Leonard Garcia just had a solid scrap and Sam Stout will remind everyone why Team Tompkins is tops in Canada.
Believe-in-judo81
5/15/07 9:14:35PM
The way I see it a BJ afocused Bj that's determined to take the LW belt would, and would most likely keep it for quite a while, but it's seems like his heart and mind are at WW right now. He wants another shot at GSp and for sure wants to settle the record against Hughes. After that I would be feasable for him to make a run at LW
but I don't know that he would, he's already sealed his legacy and made his money so beyond those two fights he has nothing to prove unless it's to himself. Guess we'll all have to wait and see. :/
kaduey
5/16/07 2:53:17PM
Sherk wouldn't dominate Penn. BJ's takedown defence is far superior to sherks wrestling. Hughes is twice the wrestler as Sherk and look at his fights with Penn. Penn would submit Sherk first round.
keith-hackney1
5/16/07 3:09:53PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

This one is fairly Self explanitory guys, let's hear what you have to say!

My.02- Bj has all the skills to do this and if he chooses to stay at LW I'd say he'll end up grabbing the belt. However, I have a bit of a hunch that he's just as interested, if not moreso, in going back up to Welterweight to avenge his loss to GSP and make some bank off a rubbermatch with the great (if a bit abrasive) Matt Hughes.

Your thoughts?

I gotta think that if penn disposes of pulver quickly and impressively, then i dont see why dana wont offer him an almost straight title shot for the winner of sherk/franca. But, with the upsets weve already had this year, im not so sure that pulver will go down easy for penn, pulver will be the underdog and pulver could take it.
BJ is a prodigy and awesome to watch, i want him to be a ufc champ again.
bayonetxwork
5/16/07 3:30:14PM

Posted by xchickox

Lol, no way. BJ pretty much dominated Hughes, and everyone knows Hughes is just a bigger Sherk
Damien6663
5/16/07 5:05:39PM
I actually think sherk is a very bad macthup for bj, if they fight if sherk makes it out of round 2 i can see him grinding a 5 round decision. The key is lasting those first 2 rounds. Bj has superior striking and submissions, but sherk is a better conditioned athlete.

I do not believe bj can submit him, but a ko or tko i could see happening.

I voted no, i think cardio will take the day.
Northrend
5/16/07 9:09:32PM

Posted by Damien6663

I actually think sherk is a very bad macthup for bj, if they fight if sherk makes it out of round 2 i can see him grinding a 5 round decision. The key is lasting those first 2 rounds. Bj has superior striking and submissions, but sherk is a better conditioned athlete.

I do not believe bj can submit him, but a ko or tko i could see happening.

I voted no, i think cardio will take the day.

Why couldn't he submit him? He might have short, stalky limbs but still BJ Penn is one of the best submission fighters in all of MMA.
Rush
5/16/07 9:30:33PM

Posted by d_block07

Posted by Northrend

LOL, I noticed the same thing too.

I don't think Sherk will have an easy time taking BJ down and I think Franca might have a better chance against BJ than Sherk, but I digress.

As for the original question. I think the Pulver fight is more personal than anything and has more to do with that than winning the division. Mind you, if he beats Pulver he probably gets a title shot within another fight, right? I don't see him turning down the title shot.

Either after a Pulver loss or pending a non-immediate LW title fight, I think he will move back to WW for a couple reasons:

1) I think he'll have a hard time making 155
2) He has some losses to avenge in the WW division (Hughes and GSP)