BJ Penn vs. GSP is a Title Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BJ Penn vs. GSP is a Title Fight
Next Page »
MMAcca
10/21/08 1:28:11AM

According to Dave Meltzer, the January BJ Penn vs. Georges St. Pierre fight will be for the welterweight title:

St. Pierre vs. Penn will be for the welterweight title, giving Penn the chance to become the first person in UFC history to hold championships in two weight divisions at the same time.

This is great news from my perspective, I really hated the idea of another three round fight between these two. It's hard to imagine this going to decision now, so we should get a real answer as to who is the better fighter at 170 pounds. This also has to favor St. Pierre, who is in far better condition than Penn, and pushes a tougher pace than any other fighter in the UFC.

LINK
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/21/08 1:33:41AM
3 rounds just wouldnt be enough
ufcboss
10/21/08 1:53:50AM
WOW, I heard Dana say this a couple months ago! I cant remember when, A press confrence I think, But I have known this for a long time!
jae_1833
10/21/08 2:01:59AM
God, now I really hope GSP wins....otherwise thee LW div will be on hold forever!! A good option though would be for BJ to stay at WW if he wins (he doesn't like to stay light IMO) and open it up for a LW Grand Prix!!!
bobby_loco13
10/21/08 2:11:44AM
doesnt matter how many rounds its sceduled for. gsp is going to knock off bj's head
MMAcca
10/21/08 8:21:57AM

Posted by bobby_loco13

doesnt matter how many rounds its sceduled for. gsp is going to knock off bj's head

You may want to think about having to eat those words man
prozacnation1978
10/21/08 9:16:40AM
i think bj needs to let go of the lightweight title
this is bad i don't see bj defending each belt every 2 or 3 months, kenny needs his chance i think if keeny beats joe he should face winner of sherk/griffin match for belt
The_Italian_Stallion
10/21/08 10:41:31AM
I think GSP is going to win and everything but this is bs!

BJ stands to gain everything if he wins but GSP gains nothing but a reaffirmation of his amazingness.

If BJ wins he gets a second belt, acclaim, the right to say the first fight was a fluke or whatever. GSP gets... a title defense!

It's not fair... I've said from the beginning this fight needs to be at a 162.5 or 165 catchweight... Heck make it a five round catchweight but not for a belt either way... there's no way to make it fair.
gartface
10/21/08 10:59:34AM

Posted by The_Italian_Stallion

I think GSP is going to win and everything but this is bs!

BJ stands to gain everything if he wins but GSP gains nothing but a reaffirmation of his amazingness.

If BJ wins he gets a second belt, acclaim, the right to say the first fight was a fluke or whatever. GSP gets... a title defense!

It's not fair... I've said from the beginning this fight needs to be at a 162.5 or 165 catchweight... Heck make it a five round catchweight but not for a belt either way... there's no way to make it fair.

What does any champion stand to gain from any title defense, beside a boost in the pound for pound rankings? If he wins, he can shut all of the people up that think that BJ won the first fight. GSP has a lot to gain in the fact that he'll defend his title against the true #2 welterweight in the world, he'll be the absolute #2 or #3 pound for pound fighter in the world.
Bowen50
10/21/08 11:09:57AM
this fight is going to be absolutely INSANE. i see GSP taking BJ down and imposing his will getting a 3rd or 4th round TKO. until then though it is going to be one of the greatest fights in UFC history.

WAR GSP
nastshabast
10/21/08 12:47:19PM
The only way BJ wins this is by a sub from the bottom and I don't see that happening.
Boo_Radley21
10/21/08 1:35:56PM
GSP takes this one in a sik fight IMO.
billycarnage
10/21/08 1:37:56PM
I actually think BJ is going to beat GSP. I think he will get the better of the exchanges. He will cut him early and mess with his head GSP might get him down but he wont be able to keep him there. BJ will be prepared for this and I can't wait!
breakdown5
10/21/08 4:24:17PM
Should be an awesome fight. I really don't see GSP finishing off BJ. If he wins it will be by decision. BJ has more options to end the fight IMO. WAR PENN

<----------------------------------
stock
10/21/08 6:10:26PM

Posted by jae_1833

God, now I really hope GSP wins....otherwise thee LW div will be on hold forever!! A good option though would be for BJ to stay at WW if he wins (he doesn't like to stay light IMO) and open it up for a LW Grand Prix!!!

I agree.
I would like for the outcome of this fight to determine where BJ remains the rest of his career.
If he wins, he should let go of the LW belt and take on the best WWs the UFC has to offer.

If he loses, he should stick to LW and go down as the best lightweight ever.
Rush
10/21/08 9:35:34PM
Does anyone else have a problem with this being for the WW title?

What the hell has BJ done to deserve a shot at a WW title, while at the same time not having his title on the line?

Doesn't sound right to me.
juanez13
10/21/08 9:46:42PM

Posted by Rush

Does anyone else have a problem with this being for the WW title?

What the hell has BJ done to deserve a shot at a WW title, while at the same time not having his title on the line?

Doesn't sound right to me.

The reason LW title not being on the line its quite obvious lol, reason being because GSP wouldnt be able to defend it. Unlike BJ, because if he won, he'd have the ability to defend both (fight at both weight classes)

As far as what BJ has done, doesnt matter, the last fight was close, and BJ is the Champ at LW, so its a fight people want to see. People want to see a clear winner come out of that fight. Its like saying what what has GSP done to deserve a shot at Silva at MW (although its being cleared up since), its a big fight, and having a title on the line only adds more interest
Rush
10/21/08 10:28:58PM
Well, the fact that GSP cannot fight at LW is obvious, but I find it strange indeed that we could have a WW champ (or rather a fighter has been given the opportunity of a title fight in the WW division) that hasn't fought at WW for over 2 years and his last two fights at WW were losses.

Honestly, I am curious to know how they talked GSP into it.
juanez13
10/21/08 10:51:44PM

Posted by Rush

Honestly, I am curious to know how they talked GSP into it.

Same way the would talk Anderson to accepting a fight with GSP. its like saying GSP has never fought at middleweight but yet he gets to go straight to the top and fight Anderson, its all to make Super fights, more $. This isnt the first time fighters have moved up weight.He also probably wants to get that split D out of his way and beat BJ decisively , regardless of what BJ has done in the WW division lately, he still one of the most skilled fighters and probably GSP's biggest test right now.
Rush
10/21/08 11:07:41PM
Well, to be fair I wouldn't expect the MW title to be on the line if GSP went up.

I have no problem with the match-up(s) themselves and don't see how a "superfight" with one title on the line would draw more $ than the superfight alone.

Scenario 1
two champions fight in a superfight
+one champion with two titles, one non-champion
+one title defence, 1 regular fight
= a title fight, a superfight/title combo, regular fight

or
two champions with two titles
+two possible title defenses
= two title defenses and a superfight (three big fights total)

Scenario 2
two champions fight in a superfight
+two champions with two titles
+two possible title defenses
= two title defenses and a superfight (three big fights total)

To me, scenario 2 has the higher probability of an overall $ draw.
DevonFoxy
10/22/08 12:23:57AM
I see what your saying Rush and it doesn't seem fair at all but If Penn did beat GSP and it wasn't for the title. That would be even worse imo.
Pookie
10/22/08 7:12:25AM
Didnt GSP say he wanted this fight after his fight with fitch?

He is a Proud Champion, something like that i think
Rush
10/22/08 1:43:39PM
Why wasn't the Irvin and Silva fight for a title then?
jiujitsufreak74
10/22/08 1:55:15PM

Posted by Rush

because it happened at 205 and neither held a title at that weight. had Anderson moved up and fought Forrest it would have been for the belt. i personally do not have a problem with BJ fighting for the title because if he beats GSP then he proves that he is in fact the best WW. idc about your recent record because if you are truly the best WW you should be the WW champion. beating GSP would prove that he is the best WW and thus would make his title victory legitimate.
cowcatcher
10/22/08 2:09:41PM
i dont think that a fighter like gsp is going to look at records or the when last time a guy fought at a weight class was, he wants to fight the best to prove hes the best. is it takes putting his belt on the line to get the fight done, he does it, its a true champions mentality. ive always liked gsp but hes rarely been a guy ive cheered for when hes in there because hes fought some of the guys im a big fan of, but he is one of a few fighters(fedor, nog, randy, etc) that i have a ton of respect for in and out of the ring/cage because hes a competitor plain and simple. so while i can see why some would have a problem with this, if gsp doesnt then whos to say it shouldnt be a title shot?
Rush
10/22/08 2:39:59PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Rush

because it happened at 205 and neither held a title at that weight. had Anderson moved up and fought Forrest it would have been for the belt. i personally do not have a problem with BJ fighting for the title because if he beats GSP then he proves that he is in fact the best WW. idc about your recent record because if you are truly the best WW you should be the WW champion. beating GSP would prove that he is the best WW and thus would make his title victory legitimate.

Yeah, never mind that question, I brain farted with that one.

Ah, so by your analogy, then you have no problem with Brock or Mir getting a title shot?

What I am arguing is not whether a putative victory is legitimate, that is given, but rather is the opportunity (title shot) legit. That seems to be the issue most people have with title fights.

Not long ago, I remember people having problems with BJ getting a title shot (for the interim LW title) after beating Jens. Nobody opens their mouth now because of his wins thereafter.

So I just want to get this right, you're saying the end justifies the means?
jiujitsufreak74
10/22/08 6:39:07PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Rush

Yeah, never mind that question, I brain farted with that one.

Ah, so by your analogy, then you have no problem with Brock or Mir getting a title shot?

What I am arguing is not whether a putative victory is legitimate, that is given, but rather is the opportunity (title shot) legit. That seems to be the issue most people have with title fights.

Not long ago, I remember people having problems with BJ getting a title shot (for the interim LW title) after beating Jens. Nobody opens their mouth now because of his wins thereafter.

So I just want to get this right, you're saying the end justifies the means?

i already argued that i have no problem with Brock getting the title shot since Nog is tied up with TUF. and yes, i am saying the ends justifies the means, imo anyway.
Rush
10/22/08 7:11:03PM
I'm just checking. I can't remember everyone's stance on each issue in this place. I gotta keep my own in check.
haggiswashere
10/22/08 7:15:18PM
so is it gonna be in dublin? if so that would be an epic card!
Tailgunner
10/22/08 11:42:05PM
No way BJ penn can weigh 170 and go 5 rounds with GSP......GSP is gonna win this fight and then move up to 185 to fight Silva.

GSP will be the undisputed P4P king if he beats BJ and Silva and then he will put all this P4P BS to rest.

No one can andle da riddum!
Pages: [1] 2