Penn vs. GSP

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Penn vs. GSP
Rush
9/18/08 9:37:28PM
OK, I just watched their first fight again

Now IMO those that think Penn should have won the fight, should re-watch it.

Round 1 - I gave this round to BJ. Despite the fact that he poked GSP in the eye, he did land more strikes than Georges. However, GSP pushed a lot of the pace. I think despite the round going to BJ, it was closer than people think.

Round 2 - domination by Georges. He had all the take downs, decent active ground and pound and almost every (if not every) punch BJ threw at him, Georges blocked them

Round 3 - I gave this one to Georges. He had two clean takedowns, BJ had a half assed one that was not productive. Georges also had the better standup and was pushing the pace with the dirty boxing on the cage.

and for my grand finale, the last piece of evidence that this win should have been a UD for GSP........ drum roll........

Cecil Peoples was the judge that scored it 29-28 for B.J.

thank you and good night.
SmileR
9/18/08 10:05:12PM
I don't get why BJ thinks he can beat GSP in a rematch?
If it wasn't for the eye poke all three rounds would have been 9-8 to GSP no contest.
I'm with you man, GSP took it no dispute! Keep the strong!
Twenty20Dollars
9/18/08 10:59:31PM
I am not a big fan of cecil peoples.

But GSP is taking this second fight against BJ and this time there will be no doubt left in anyone's mind
nickcuc547
9/18/08 11:11:25PM
i thought gsp won the fight, but bj did more damage in round 1 than gsp did over the first two combined. that doesn't take anything away from gsp, he won the fight fair and square. but bj proved he can take it to him and hurt him, that's why a third fight is so intriguing to me.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/19/08 1:19:54AM
gsp def won....take it from me, i'm a proud nuthugger of both
Matimus
9/19/08 6:32:40AM
I love how after the decision, BJ's corner says "what? look at his face!"
Pookie
9/19/08 7:22:43AM

Posted by SmileR

Because right now hes 5x the fighter he was in that match
Taylor8766
9/19/08 9:02:56AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by SmileR

Agreed, back in there first match BJ wasnt completly dedicated, where as now he his 100% dedicated, but I still feel that GSP will win the rematch
AchillesHeel
9/19/08 11:06:50AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by SmileR

Heh.

I think Penn is probably thinking he's still the better boxer (although I think GSP is a better kick-boxer), and that he's better prepared for GSP's takedowns. Myself, I think both guys have improved since the first fight, and a rematch is probably still about 50-50. I honestly don't know who to pick in that fight.
fullerene
9/19/08 11:43:22AM
Good post. I think people assume Penn wins the standup which I do not think is the case. GSP has better foot movement, better hand speed and he can punch and kick with more variety of technique than Penn can. Penn does have a better chin but he's going to get hit more often than GSP will.

Very close and exciting fight, but I still think GSP has the size and strategic advantantage going in.
DoTheMMAth
9/19/08 2:17:43PM

Posted by Rush

Cecil Peoples was the judge that scored it 29-28 for B.J.

I personally always thought it was GSP 29 BJ 28, but this one has removed anything even resembling doubt from my mind on this one. Thanks for sharing
Tein_Lung
9/19/08 3:24:18PM
GSP is also pretty much the biggest WW out there, he could prolly do decent in185... Penn is too small for GSP, i don't care how good you are... someone that stong with move you around like your not used to... GSP can take anyone down he wants... yes BJ is good at BJJ but i don't think its enough to beat GSP... i don't think the upcomming fight will even be close to the last fight... GSP will beat BJ like a red headed step child
dannyfrank
9/19/08 4:35:30PM
i really hope that GSP beats him down just so BJ's ego can be knocked down a few pegs
kaskd
9/19/08 6:21:04PM
Yeah, BJ did a lotta damage, but GSP clearly won the rounds in that fight. In UFC scoring that's just how it works. Nothing to argue about.

BJ's gonna win the next fight.
tooly236
9/19/08 10:34:06PM
I am Canadian so I am a huge GSP fan, but I would not count BJ out ever. GSP works his ass off for what he does in the ring. BJ is natural, so saying that is GSP is pretty well at his max, we have no clue what BJ is capable of with dedication. What ever happens, this will be one for the ages.
Jackelope
9/19/08 11:23:29PM
I can't pick against BJ in this fight. No matter the arguments I hear I'll always pick BJ. The man is just too gifted.

Much love to GSP, though.