Penn vs. Florian

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Penn vs. Florian
chickmagnet
2/18/09 5:27:21PM
This is an awesome fight but I think BJ will KO Florian in the 2nd or 3rd, I dont think this fight will take place on the ground, I think its going to be primarily on the feet until BJ knocks Kenny down and finishes him off. BJ wont be taken down by Kenny, GSP was having trouble getting BJ down before BJ gassed.

WAR BJ!!!!
Twenty20Dollars
2/18/09 8:42:23PM
Dont really like either guy, but Im hoping Kenny wins. Maybe he can win it in the clinch with muay thai knees.
egangster
2/18/09 9:46:00PM
i disagree kennys will dominate bj
State_Champ
2/18/09 11:52:49PM
i think BJ will win if he isn't too [mentally] devastated by the loss to GSP.
However, i wouldn't be particulalry surprised to see Kenny wearing the title belt.
good fight no matter who wins, i think.
kris_ericson
2/19/09 12:01:11AM
kenny wins cause i say so
Tein_Lung
2/19/09 12:35:00AM
I want BJ to lose to Kenny... and IMO Kenny is the better Striker of the 2... I think Kenny will kil BJ to death to the point BJ goes for the takedown and i think Florian is a good enough jits guy to stop BJs from subbing him...

IMO Kenny by 4th round stopage because BJ will of gassed and won't want to continue
fonduktoe
2/19/09 4:07:21AM
this fight depends on how bj takes his recent loss
he can either fire up and dominate like he did against stevenson, pulver and, sherk
or he can stagnate and lose to a very hungry florian
i personally think he'll show up in top form and take florian to a well fought decision with bj's hand raised in what will be the fight that people where hoping to see in gsp v penn (i.e. a close battle of attrition).
Tein_Lung
2/19/09 6:18:01AM

Posted by fonduktoe

this fight depends on how bj takes his recent loss
he can either fire up and dominate like he did against stevenson, pulver and, sherk
or he can stagnate and lose to a very hungry florian
i personally think he'll show up in top form and take florian to a well fought decision with bj's hand raised in what will be the fight that people where hoping to see in gsp v penn (i.e. a close battle of attrition).

lovely dream but BJ has never been one for stamina... and i don't think hes gonna start now... if the fight gets past the half way point of the 3rd round Kenny will win
Pookie
2/19/09 7:03:20AM
I think BJ would thoroughly defeat florian.

On the feet Florian's hands are no where near bj's, he can only kick for so long before Bj rushes him and pops his head back. Florian isnt going to have the power to keep Bj off of him in the stand up.

Florian likes to fight a very technical and evasive when he strikes, but Bj has faced an opponent like that before in Machida. He was able to stay in his face despite the leg kicks, a reach deficit and a hand speed.disadvantage.

Then on the ground I think Bj just gets his back and punishes him until he gives up the choke.
wiggum
2/19/09 10:33:18AM
the only guy at 155 that can beat bj right now IS bj.....tho i think florian is awesome and a very dangerous fighter, i think people are giving him too much credit in this fight....maybe due to the bandwagon hatred for bj these days...or maybe people watch too much TUF....if bj comes in unmotivated then florian has a decent chance of winning ....but other than that, everything that florian is good at, bj is better: standup, footwork, wrestling, bjj, power and strength......cardio is a thing of the past, he never gassed in the gsp fight, he just got beat up by a bigger guy....5 rounds at a lighter weight shouldnt be a problem.....if bj comes in unmotivated and then if florian won, i doubt it would be any other way than decision.....but the most likely scenario of the fight is a competive battle with bj looking to start strong and struggling to impose his will in a dominate fashion in the first round... but then starting to run away with the fight in the second rd and either stopping florian due to strikes on the ground or winning a decsion....as good as bj is on the ground, i dont know if he can submit florian....bet with your head not your heart people
NatedawgThaM
2/19/09 3:48:51PM
Florian won'tkeep BJ on the defensive like GSP did so I think he'll get beat, probably 2nd or 3rd round submission. BJ has better wrestling and BJJ, and Kenny won't set a good enough pace on the feet so I believe BJ will hang with him on the feet until he eventually drops him or can get him down and dominate him.

GSP showed us the only way to beat him, to keep him on the defensive looking for openings which he never got so BJ just stood their and got taken down at will and grinded out. Sanchez and Sherk are just the only people I can see doing this right now, sherk had a good plan with creativity but just went about it in a bad way by just coming straight forward and any guy with decent boxing that can counter would have out pointed sherk like that.

Florian needs to keep him on the defensive, but I just don't think that will happen and BJ will continue his dominant reign at 155 until he runs into Sanchez which IMO will decide who is the #1 LW in the world...As long as the weight isn't an issue for Diego and he can perform at the same level and the same style he did at WW.
JimiMak
2/19/09 7:34:27PM
In all likely hood BJ dominates more than I think he prob'ly will. He winds up in a position where he's too good for LW but can't beat the WW champ. Sucks but I don't see Kenny winning, he'll do well, but he won't win.
gsquat
2/19/09 8:04:35PM
I certainly don't think one will dominate the other. Barring a submission, it'll probably got to decision, and I see Kenny with his hand raised at the end.
higdon10
2/19/09 8:54:31PM
I think that Penn will beat Florian. Thats taking nothing away from KenFlo but I think that BJ has better standup and Florian will have serious trouble getting BJ down. And even if he does get BJ down, he is hella dangerous off his back. I think Penn has too many weapons.

But what do I know, I made a very comparable argument for BJ/GSP and look how that fight turned out.
hymiekooken
2/19/09 11:57:11PM
I'm gonna take Kenny in this one. He will have to come up with a solution for Bj's boxing skills and hand speed, Kenny will have to get in and get out quicjly, and not be lured into a slugfest.With that said, I think Kenny is one of the hottest LW in MMA, and he will finish BJ. If he can work the clinch and get him on his back, some elbows might do the trick. I know BJ is great off his back, but Florian also has a great ground game. I take Kenny all day, but either way, this one will be good.
mrkennedy
2/20/09 6:39:21PM
Penn By what ever he want
State_Champ
2/20/09 9:41:05PM

Posted by mrkennedy

Penn By what ever he want

I disagree.
I feel that If Kenny is able to keep the fight on the feet then he more than stands a chance because he has shown great footwork and instincts lately. I was especially impressed with his most recent fight ( i think a lot of peole were)against Joe Stevenson. He seems to be a very cerebral fighter who keeps improving his game all the time.
On the other hand, BJ Penn seems [to me] to have gotten stagnant. He is obviously a super-talented fighter who could beat Kenny at any point but I wouldn't say it's a given.