Penn vs Fitch 2 or Cruz vs Faber 2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Penn vs Fitch 2 or Cruz vs Faber 2
SpicyMeatball
3/28/11 10:33:23PM

Both of these fights are scheduled for UFC 132. My question is, which fight will be the main event. Will it be Penn vs Fitch 2, which might have more drawing power, or will it be Cruz vs Faber 2, which is for the UFC Bantamweight Championship?

Are Cruz and Faber ready to headline a PPV, even if it is a title fight? If they're not, will having them co headilne hurt the prestige of the Bantamweight title? Penn vs Fitch, as I said before, will probably have more drawing power, but will it be placed ahead of a title match?
TeamDEY
3/28/11 11:48:07PM
Cruz vs Faber most likely will since its for a title
lohmann
3/29/11 12:03:09AM
Zuffa is trying to create UFC stars for the new weight classes, so Cruz vs. Faber II not only deserves to headline but it will.

It's very obvious the UFC are trying to make the champions at featherweight and bantamweight as noticeable as the rest of the champions on their roster. By putting Faber in a backup main event on one of the biggest cards of the year, the UFC started its starmaking process by using WEC's most noticeable fighter, reinforcing and extending his popularity, and in the process went a long way to making people interested in the rematch with Cruz, even if people know very little about Cruz (and Faber vs. Wineland probably didn't turn out as well as everybody expected). Penn vs. Fitch II will obviously help generate buys for the pay-per-view, considering the desire for a rematch among fans is there, and in return people will see a fight for an unrecognizable title (and considering how Cruz and Faber tend to have fun fights become interested). In the short term, Cruz vs. Faber II may sell below average for a UFC, but in the long term it will probably create stars.

Pushing Aldo will be easier. People already know a little about him, and he's backing up the pay-per-view that will have one of the highest, if not the highest, buyrates of the year.
FastKnockout
3/29/11 12:07:38AM
Cruz/Faber 2 will probably headline. There wasn't a lot of positive feedback from the Fitch/Penn fight, and fans don't give Fitch a warm welcome as it is. Add the fact that Cruz/Faber is for the title and that will probably make the main event. Not to mention Faber was a huge fan favorite heading into his last fight. Sounded to me like he was welcomed with the same volume of cheers as the main event.
GSfknP
3/29/11 12:20:02AM
Cruz/Faber should most definitely be the main event. If it isn't, that would be a joke, honestly.
Twenty20Dollars
3/29/11 1:03:59AM
It wont be, main event will be Penn/Fitch

I personally have no interest in Penn/Fitch 2 and had little interest in the first matchup.
Lesnar1
3/29/11 4:03:03AM
Faber v Cruz 2 should be the main event. Penn v Fitch 2 should be the co main event. Considering The Faber/Cruz match is for a world championship and is a highly anticipated rematch it is deserving of a main event spot. Penn/Fitch 2 is intresting and also a anticipated rematch (i was at their first fight) but shouldn't top the card because there is a world title on the line with Faber and Cruz and IMO any title fight should be ahead on the card of a normal 3 rounder.
kopower
3/29/11 8:26:56AM
It probably will be Faber/Cruz, but I can see the UFC promoting Penn/Fitch just as heavily.
sparky
3/29/11 10:16:30AM

Posted by TeamDEY

Cruz vs Faber most likely will since its for a title

That's what I was thinking also!!!!!
TS92turbo
3/29/11 6:58:30PM
Hopefully Cruz and Faber
ThaAxeMurderer7
3/29/11 8:16:14PM
Cruz vs. Faber II will absolutely headline this card. If it was more about the magnitude of the fight, then Wandy vs. Chuck would have headlined UFC 79.
SpicyMeatball
3/30/11 7:16:20AM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Cruz vs. Faber II will absolutely headline this card. If it was more about the magnitude of the fight, then Wandy vs. Chuck would have headlined UFC 79.

That's what I'm hoping, I just hope the UFC doesn't get weird about introducing the WEC guys to the UFC main events. I wouldn't be surprised if Penn vs Fitch is the headliner.
prozacnation1978
3/30/11 9:06:03AM
Should always be the title fight