Penn vs Fitch at UFC 127; Sotiropoulos vs. Siver Also Planned

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Penn vs Fitch at UFC 127; Sotiropoulos vs. Siver Also Planned
lohmann
11/21/10 2:14:25AM
"Just hours after earning impressive wins at Saturday’s UFC 123, new challenges already await former champ BJ Penn and rising lightweight George Sotiropoulos, as Penn is expected to face welterweight contender Jon Fitch and Sotiropoulos will likely meet Dennis Siver at UFC 127 on Feb. 27 in Sydney, Australia."

link
Kpro
11/21/10 2:21:04AM
No word on Bispings opponent?

EDIT: Aside from the rumored and unanticipated Rivera bout.
lohmann
11/21/10 2:24:30AM

Posted by Kpro

I may be a bit presumptuous with the "headline" part, so I will change that. Bisping probably won't be headlining an event over Penn, especially Penn against Fitch.
ChokeUout
11/21/10 2:29:50AM

Posted by Kpro

Agreed. Not looking forward to Bisping/Rivera. I hope they reconsider this...

Speaking of Reconsidering unanticipated bouts, I'm Glad Fitch gets Penn over Ellenberger. Fitch gets a big fight which he deserves, and this should really determine BJ's future at Welterweight.

Glad the Aussie fans get another solid main event.
lohmann
11/21/10 2:32:03AM
If Fitch pulls out a victory here, I think it would be impossible to deny him a title shot (assuming GSP defeats Koscheck).

Definitely a good fight for both. Penn gets to figure out how he would fare in the deep end of the current welterweight division, and Fitch gets the fight that will make or break his case for a rematch against GSP.
Twenty20Dollars
11/21/10 2:41:31AM
Damn I was going to bank on Ellenberger over Fitch.

I wonder if Sotiropoulos vs Siver is possible #1 contender fight.
tcunningham
11/21/10 5:13:08AM
siver will get owned. it'll be over as soon as george decides to take it to the ground. ill be really surprised to see fitch lose to penn. fitch is really big welterweight and penn is small. but hey, you can never count bj out of any fight.
gartface
11/21/10 9:37:04AM
I think this is a good move for both of them too. I think with the way the lightweight title is being held up by the Edgar/Maynard fight and then with the UFC/WEC winners, it will be a while, and George doesn't need to be rusty. That Fitch/Penn fight is going to be really hard to predict, especially with as fast as BJ's hands looked last night...
prozacnation1978
11/21/10 10:13:21AM
Thank god no bisping main event maybe not co either

I like the penn match, I fitch humps his leg to death. Give the guy his title shot!!!

And for aussie george. He is due!!! When he subs siver fast
Give him his title shot

Watch. As ufc pushes quick for edgar/maynard winner vs henderson/pettis
Likely to happen in april!!!

I am banking ufc will have two pay per views that month

One in toronto and one in the states
aristipe
11/21/10 12:15:07PM
You never know what can happen in MMA, but I really hope BJ Penn knocks out Jon Fitch. Up and coming MMA fighters need to know that lay and pray is not the way to go. And even if I didn`t expect it either, I`m glad Rampage beat Machida. Up and coming MMA fighters need to know that you have to be aggressive and go after the victory, not backpedal and let your opponent press the action. Judges are not impressed by that kind of performance.
RyanC
11/21/10 1:06:27PM

Posted by aristipe

You never know what can happen in MMA, but I really hope BJ Penn knocks out Jon Fitch. Up and coming MMA fighters need to know that lay and pray is not the way to go. And even if I didn`t expect it either, I`m glad Rampage beat Machida. Up and coming MMA fighters need to know that you have to be aggressive and go after the victory, not backpedal and let your opponent press the action. Judges are not impressed by that kind of performance.

Fitch and Machida fight smart whether fans like it or not. They have both been extremely successful using their respective styles. Last night is going to change absolutely nothing about the way Machida fights. You are essentially saying he needs to stop being who he is.
pmoney
11/21/10 1:48:02PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by aristipe

Fitch and Machida fight smart whether fans like it or not. They have both been extremely successful using their respective styles. Last night is going to change absolutely nothing about the way Machida fights. You are essentially saying he needs to stop being who he is.

I concur with the second quote. While lay and pray most certainly is not the way to go, Fitch wins fights. Period. You cannot deny his UFC record. And Machida has plenty of good finishes to his name, as well as being a former undefeated champion. What he did to Thiago Silva was pure rape.
BigBadAl
11/21/10 2:22:53PM
I think George deserves someone higher up the rankings than Siver. Just my opinion.
BigIP
11/21/10 2:41:13PM
I think this is a bad match up for BJ. Fitch will lay on him for 3 rounds. I think this is Dana's way of telling BJ he doens't get a third shot at GSP. Fitch has never really been KO'd except for a knee several years ago by a heavier Wilson Goviea. I just don't see BJ winning this fight and I'm a huge BJ fan. Hope I'm wrong...
FastKnockout
11/21/10 3:18:12PM
Oh man, I can't think of a harder fight to call. Penn is a hard fighter to depend on, go back to last night for reason why. You never know what will happen. I don't think the issue is Penn's "motivation", I think he was just outclassed by Edgar, and he outclassed Hughes. As for Fitch, I'm not sure how this fight will turn out. Fitch will have the advantage, and he's the division's best wrestler next to GSP. Ficth also has a different style than GSP, where he doesn't take chances and leave openings. That's where Penn found GSP's weakness. GSP is world class, but he sometimes takes risks. I really don't know who to call right now, and probably will go back and forth up until the week of the fight.

As for GSpot and Siver, I think GSpot will win via decision using his takedowns and ground control. I love Siver, and I'll be pulling for him. He definatly has a chance a to upset GSpot. I'll be putting some heavy money on him as he'll probably be the biggest underdog on the card.

But you know what I'm really happy for?

BISPING WON'T BE HEADLINING!!

Don't get me wrong, he deserves a main-card spot, but no headliner.
chickmagnet
11/21/10 4:10:58PM
I prefer Penn/Sotiroupolos
Boo_Radley21
11/21/10 5:22:43PM
Go Fitch, does anyone really think Penn will win this fight?
RyanC
11/21/10 5:50:43PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Yes.
BigBadAl
11/21/10 6:32:19PM

Posted by chickmagnet

I prefer Penn/Sotiroupolos

This
bjj1605
11/21/10 6:50:55PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Oh man, I can't think of a harder fight to call. Penn is a hard fighter to depend on, go back to last night for reason why. You never know what will happen. I don't think the issue is Penn's "motivation", I think he was just outclassed by Edgar, and he outclassed Hughes. As for Fitch, I'm not sure how this fight will turn out. Fitch will have the advantage, and he's the division's best wrestler next to GSP. Ficth also has a different style than GSP, where he doesn't take chances and leave openings. That's where Penn found GSP's weakness. GSP is world class, but he sometimes takes risks. I really don't know who to call right now, and probably will go back and forth up until the week of the fight.

As for GSpot and Siver, I think GSpot will win via decision using his takedowns and ground control. I love Siver, and I'll be pulling for him. He definatly has a chance a to upset GSpot. I'll be putting some heavy money on him as he'll probably be the biggest underdog on the card.

But you know what I'm really happy for?

BISPING WON'T BE HEADLINING!!

Don't get me wrong, he deserves a main-card spot, but no headliner.

I always find it interesting when I find a post I disagree with as much as this one.

First of all, I think motivation was absolutely the issue with Penn v. Edgar. If they fought again I would pick Penn again. If he takes Edgar down (which he showed he can do) he will dominate. Even standing he's the much better striker, just not when he's lazy and watches Edgar dance around.

Second, I don't think it's fair to say that Penn outclassed Hughes. In fact I think its ludicrous to try and make that judgment after watching them fight for only 21 seconds. How is that enough time for you to tell? Fact of the matter is people get caught with shots and knocked out when they usually wouldn't. I don't believe in the term lucky punch (you meant to throw it, you throw it, it lands) but I think "unlikely punch" is a fair term. Do you think that Matt Serra "outclassed" GSP? No, it was an unlikely punch.

Last, what do you mean BJ found GSP's weakness? He lost to him both times.
icantthinkofanything
11/21/10 9:53:39PM
i like bj vs fitch!

Bj looked better than ever, I hope he keeps it up!

if Fitch wins, than he has his big win to get him a GSP rematch,

and with bj's tkdwn defense, Fitch will have his hands full imo.
MaxOne
11/21/10 10:44:56PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I do. maybe. I think he's (Penn) a much better fighter but Penn is a confusing dude so you never know....even more than you never know in other fights.
chipeeman99
11/22/10 5:59:05PM
I think Penn vs Fitch is an interesting match up. I can see bj beating him up on the feet and fitch taking down penn. Hopefully penn shows off his jitsu. I thought Sotiropoulos would get a bigger name opponent. Siver is good and the fight should be exciting but george should of been given a bigger name. Siver may be the only guy available for sydney
Hendo67
11/23/10 3:03:20PM
I think this is going to be a very close fight, i'll probably give the edge to Penn actually.
Lets be honest, it makes more sense than Ellenberger/Fitch
Tyzzler
11/24/10 2:59:35PM
While they do win fights, and they do it the smart way, we all know that's not the only thing that matters. We all saw Falcao win the Harris fight in a "smart" way, but surely nobody agrees with the way he went about not getting caught in the 3rd. He fought the 3rd round in the smartest way he knew possible, but like Rogan said, you have to make fans like you and want to see you fight too, not just win.