BJ Penn To Fight The Winner Of GSP vs. Jon Fitch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BJ Penn To Fight The Winner Of GSP vs. Jon Fitch
Next Page »
kastro_316
7/2/08 4:20:58PM
DreamFighters.com

BJ is set to take on the winner of GSP vs. Fitch, at UFC 87. Penn recently told Fighters Club TV that he is set to move up to 170 to face the winner of UFC 87's Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch contest.
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/2/08 4:22:51PM
Awesome....and I thought I was gonna get Rick Rolled
hodge
7/2/08 4:27:02PM
Nice one glad to see that they still have Florian and Huerta in mind
juanez13
7/2/08 4:27:05PM
2007: year of the Upset

2008: year of changing weight classes...
nickcuc547
7/2/08 4:32:26PM
great news, this is a great fight for the ww champ whether it be gsp or fitch, bj seems to have turned a corner and he could very well beat either one of these guys.
Vote4Fedro
7/2/08 4:45:23PM
GPS by GNP
Bowen50
7/2/08 5:09:44PM
GSP will beat Fitch by GnP in the 2nd and with that said....

both GSP and BJ have improved a lot since their last fight, but i think GSP has matured much more as a fighter. ever since his loss to Serra he has torn everyone he has faced apart. the only advantage in my opinion that BJ has is his jiu jitsu. GSP will win this fight in the 2nd or 3rd by ground ad pounding BJ. i just think that GSP's wrestling is too much for BJ. granted BJ has some really good takedown defense, i just think that GSP's wrestling is too much for BJ. Both these guys are 2 of my favorites but i just got to go with GSP on this one.
Jason-plata
7/2/08 5:20:40PM
Most definetly GSP will beat Fitch. GNP, TKO, or tap either way it will happen.
BJ vs. GSP?? That is a super difficult fight to call. BJ is one of the most gifted all around fighters in the world right now. GSP is also on that same platform as BJ. My heart wants GSP to pull it off cause if anyone can it is GSP. Logic says that GSP will end up taking the loss. That is not what I want to see happen, but it is the most probable out come.

My final choice on that fight would be GSP winning by armbar in the 2nd.
joshryanshepherd
7/2/08 6:11:03PM
GSP VS. Fitch = Georges 1st rd tko ( Georges keeps stuffing Jon's take down and finally lands a flush knee or kick to Jon's beak!)

GSP Vs. Bj Penn = GSP chokes him out in 1st!! ( lol just playing, but that would be awesome i say Georges wins another split decision war.)
MaxOne
7/2/08 6:11:09PM
I really wish both of them would defend their belts a few times before they go at it. That being said...i'll be glued to the tv during their fight. I think BJ is more skilled/well rounded but obviously GSP is right there w/him. I think GSP's cardio is clearly better and they match up close enough to where it could go either way. i'll be picking Penn for sure because i think he has more ways to win.

But i only have 600 fake dollars.
teddythetuna
7/2/08 6:11:28PM
Gsp will not sub BJ but he will grind out a decision if this happens. IMO. I just wish everyone would stay at their weight and fight. if BJ did win and had both titles it would be too long between title defenses in both divisions
Shawn17
7/2/08 6:19:47PM
Bj Penn by whatever he wants.
krthll1
7/2/08 6:41:57PM
Why do guys have to move weight classes all the time. It makes sense if you destroy all opposition like Anderson Silva but when BJ doesn't defend the belt it makes no sense. At least defend against the winner of Florian-Huerta before you move. That's all I ask for.
krthll1
7/2/08 6:44:37PM

Posted by nickcuc547

great news, this is a great fight for the ww champ whether it be gsp or fitch, bj seems to have turned a corner and he could very well beat either one of these guys.

Thiago Alves vs. GSP is a great fight for the welterweight title too. Defend belts and then do it 8 months from now.
xphycorx
7/2/08 6:52:14PM
alves is getting screwed. i thought he was going to get a title shot next.
MaxOne
7/2/08 7:17:54PM
if a fighter has 2 belts i think they should have to fight more. Obviously within reason but i've heard bj saying he only wants to fight once or twice a year. That's wack IMO. Especially if he ends up w/2 belts. He's been around for ever. He's one of the best. Fight often and convince everyone that you are as good as you say you are.

That's part of why I wish they would defend their belts a few times first before they fight.

Honestly though, whatever it takes to keep BJ active is good.
kaskd
7/2/08 7:31:41PM
this is ridiculous! Why are they arranging BJ another title shot at the welterweight belt? Even Silva's not doing that for his first romp at 205 (and he already has walked through his competition). Also if he fights GSP (or Fitch) when's he going to fight Florian or Huerta? I'll bet my bankroll that BJ Penn is the one who wanted this fight more than Dana White too. This will still be the best fight of the year and i don't even have to know the rest of the matchups.
Mchubb316
7/2/08 7:35:06PM
I hope this doesn't affect the LW title picture. I would still like BJ to defend his belt at LW a few times to cement his legacy at that weight class. He has the skills to become arguably the greatest champion in UFC history, if he can pull of beating GSP, and defending the belt at both weight classes multiple times.
bojangalz
7/2/08 7:56:52PM

Posted by xphycorx

I'm ok with Aves taking one more fight before a shot at the title. Penance for not making weight last time out. I just hope he doesn't get lost in the title picture somehow after this fight. But I'm not too fond of Penn moving up to fight GSP when he's only had one title defence at 155. Lets just say for instance that he wins(which I have a hard time believing). Then we get one WW title defense a year, and one LW title defense a year? That's almost as bad as wrapping up the belts with coaches on TUF.

I'd just rather see these guys dominate for a while in there respective divisions before a throw down. And to be perfectly honest- I'd much rather see GSP/Silva at catch weight for a superfight anyway.
lordicast
7/2/08 8:51:36PM
I hope they dont put it on TUF because then we have to wait a year to see ;
GSP GNP BJ LOL
durog
7/2/08 9:10:51PM
Can't wait for that card...the place will explode when the bell rings. You know who will win?...MMA fans!
Pitbull09
7/2/08 9:43:19PM
Great. Lets delay two weight classes. Its not like the WW division hasn;t been delayed enough with Serra and TUF 4 and 6. Sherks steriod issue held off the LW also.

List of people screwed-
Thiago Alves
Roger Huerta
Kenny Florian
Loser of Fitch/GSP
The other 50 contenders in the WW division
prozacnation1978
7/2/08 9:53:58PM
this fight doesn't have to happen this year make it wait, have bj defend his title once or twice as well as gsp
Pitbull09
7/2/08 9:54:18PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by xphycorx

I'm ok with Aves taking one more fight before a shot at the title. Penance for not making weight last time out. I just hope he doesn't get lost in the title picture somehow after this fight. But I'm not too fond of Penn moving up to fight GSP when he's only had one title defence at 155. Lets just say for instance that he wins(which I have a hard time believing). Then we get one WW title defense a year, and one LW title defense a year? That's almost as bad as wrapping up the belts with coaches on TUF.

I'd just rather see these guys dominate for a while in there respective divisions before a throw down. And to be perfectly honest- I'd much rather see GSP/Silva at catch weight for a superfight anyway.

Missing weight in one of his 6 fights isnt that bad to take away his spot as #1 contender. You have to think about his opponent too. Diego Sanchez has only won two fights against C/D level fighters.

What if Diego wins this fight? Does that mean he suddenly should be next in line for the title after Alves accomplished that much? And if so, remember that he will be cutting Kos who has already beat Sanchez.

Also, does this mean if BJ wins the WW title we will only see a title defense in each division once a year? If he is willing to spread his ego into two divisions he should fight twice a year in each division.
jakeiceman
7/2/08 10:07:54PM
Penn is a better striker, has better jits and has an insane gaurd. The only question is cardio. If he is in shape, Penn will walk all over GSP. He might not finish him but I think he would win a clear decision or a late sub.
RMFG_187
7/2/08 11:10:04PM
GSP has better Standup, Wrestling, and IMO, we will see that he has better JJ. maybe not the flexibility that BJ has, but im predicting Round 3 sub. and I'll bet GSP lands more jabs.
Naturaldisaster
7/2/08 11:19:47PM
thats gay
R8J
7/2/08 11:26:16PM

Posted by RMFG_187

GSP has better Standup, Wrestling, and IMO, we will see that he has better JJ. maybe not the flexibility that BJ has, but im predicting Round 3 sub. and I'll bet GSP lands more jabs.

Really? did you just say that? you need to see some of GSP's Bjj fights and come back. here's a video of his greatness in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLoV40jDKM&feature=related
RMFG_187
7/2/08 11:32:52PM

Posted by R8J

Posted by RMFG_187

Really? did you just say that? you need to see some of GSP's Bjj fights and come back. here's a video of his greatness in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLoV40jDKM&feature=related

GSP is a brown belt in JJ, not sure if he got his black yet. BJ was one of the fastest too receive a legit BJJ BlackBelt in i think 4 years. But, be that as it may, IMO, Rush's BJJ is more fit for MMA. I guess time will tell tho right?

EDIT: by the way, do u have any idea how old that video is? before he was champ, it was around the low point of his career when he lost to Hughes in the first fight.
Frost_777
7/3/08 12:07:24AM
I gotta give this one to BJ by split decision because of his crazy skills but if GSP wins he has been saying that he may move up to 185, imagine that if he beat the lightweight champ and held the middle weight and welterweight belts lol its mind bottleing
Pages: [1] 2