BJ penn is going to fight the winner of GSP/Fitch

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ penn is going to fight the winner of GSP/Fitch
Violence108
7/2/08 6:19:26PM
WTF?!, if i was Thiago Alves i would be pissed as hell, lol dont get me wrong i would still like to see Penn fight GSP again but not right now there are tomany good fights for him in the WW before he fightes him again , and Penn needs to defend his title at least one more time

tylerlee123
7/2/08 6:43:39PM
Thats cool but i would like to see both those matchups
JimiMak
7/2/08 6:59:25PM
Finch???

anyway, I have always disliked a champ fighting in a diff category and holding up belts.
Franklinfan47
7/2/08 7:36:04PM
I'm surprised by this move. Delaying the title shot process in two different weight divisions. People complain already about not having enough title fights.
ObsoleteMan
7/2/08 7:54:51PM
I agree, this is seriously stupid. Penn has only defended once, and even that barely counts, since Sherk was the actual champ. GSP hasn't defended once since getting it back. So, we've got two champs , who've already fought each other, and have no legit title defenses in two fairly stacked divisions with multiple contenders. So yeah, excellent time to tie up the title picture. I have no idea why they're doing this.

I really hope BJ loses. Just to keep the belts simple, and so I hopefully never have to hear about BJ moving up again. He's looked unstoppable at lightweight, and he's 0-2 at welter since coming back. Mind boggling matchmaking.
holt8081
7/2/08 8:51:14PM
It is what it is
Pitbull09
7/2/08 9:41:48PM
To have my favorite fighter in that division be screwed after winning 6 fights in a row including Karo and Hughes because Penn wants to cut line pisses me off.

I don't care if Penn is one of the top P4P fighters, Anderson is doing it the right way. He is fighting every three months and isn;t getting an immediate title shot in the division he is moving up to. But meanwhile we have the WW division who held off the title for a year for a has been who cut line also (Serra) and now they do this!!!

As much as I want to see this match up, I think it is way out of place in time. Alves deserves a shot and so does the winner of Huerta/ Florian.

Anderson not only is doing it the right way but he is doing this the right way after defending his title numerous times! BJ has one defense. ONE! GSP hasn't even defended his title yet.

nickcuc547
7/2/08 10:20:13PM

Posted by ObsoleteMan

I agree, this is seriously stupid. Penn has only defended once, and even that barely counts, since Sherk was the actual champ. GSP hasn't defended once since getting it back. So, we've got two champs , who've already fought each other, and have no legit title defenses in two fairly stacked divisions with multiple contenders. So yeah, excellent time to tie up the title picture. I have no idea why they're doing this.

I really hope BJ loses. Just to keep the belts simple, and so I hopefully never have to hear about BJ moving up again. He's looked unstoppable at lightweight, and he's 0-2 at welter since coming back. Mind boggling matchmaking.

true but gsp vs. bj one proved absoultely nothing as to who the better fighter was, and both guys stocks are as high as they are going to be right now, so there really isn't a better time to match these two up again.
mkiv9secsupra
7/2/08 10:23:26PM
BJ isnt going back to LW if he wins right? so how would he hold up the title? I would love for BJ to come back and TKO GSP in this second fight then go on to dominate the division for years...anyone but GSP pleae
Twenty20Dollars
7/2/08 11:42:30PM
Alves should be getting the next title shot and alves shouldnt be facing diego. since alves was suppose to get the crack at the title before he fought hughes.

So what does the winner of huerta/florian do? with bj going up
RSH
7/3/08 5:21:06AM
Pffftt...Alves, title shot?
Like he would make weight...
-cough-
ObsoleteMan
7/3/08 7:24:57PM

Posted by nickcuc547

true but gsp vs. bj one proved absoultely nothing as to who the better fighter was, and both guys stocks are as high as they are going to be right now, so there really isn't a better time to match these two up again.

That first part might be true, but I disagree that their stocks are as high as they're gonna be. How could their stocks be any lower AFTER clearing a division? Was A. Silva's stock higher after the first win over Franklin, or now?

I'm probably biased, but I don't think the fight is very interesting. If GSP wins, BJ fans will just say it's because of GSP's weight, and if BJ wins, it blows for the title picture. And they'll be even more insufferable about how he's the best ever.

Also, I'm even LESS interested in a Fitch/BJ match, if Fitch somehow pulls out the upset.

Well, whatever, the dice are cast... Just really curious why Joe Silva would do this. Are they afraid he's gonna pull a Couture on them?
Aether
7/3/08 8:08:22PM
Why not have the best fighters fight each other if they both want it. The first fight was excellent and this one will probably be even better since they've both improved. How could this hold up 2 divisions? Welterweight isn't being held up, that's the belt they're fighting for. Lightweight will be held up but honestly, who in the division is going to beat BJ any time soon? If he wants to continue fighting at welterweight they can just create an interim title fight and have a defense to make it official. If not then BJ goes back down and continues stomping all of the people he was going to stomp anyway. I would much rather have a small delay in a string of lopsided fights in order to see one of the best possible matchups in the sport today.

It's just a better fight... It's a fight to get excited about and start conversation. Who is going to be excited about huerta vs penn or florian vs penn? I'm willing to bet when that match comes up roger/kenny don't break 15% in the site predictions. I'm willing to bet pretty much no one in the entire division breaks that number against BJ in fact and most of the conversation will revolve around how bj is so much better in all areas that they can't see "insert name here" winning. It's sort of entertaining to see someone destroy people he's expected to destroy, but it's a lot more entertaining when the fight could go either way.

I don't really think that Alves deserves a title shot until he proves he can consistently make weight... Not making weight is a HUGE problem, especially in a title fight and he's failed to do so more than once, last time in a pretty important fight. It shows a lack of professionalism and respect towards the sport and your opponent. What are they going to do if he takes the title and then doesn't make weight AS A CHAMPION? That's crazy. He could fight fitch after he most likely loses to GSP....
ObsoleteMan
7/3/08 8:36:11PM
WW is being held up because BJ jumped the line to the front with no WW wins in 3+ years. Everyone that was going to have a shot, has to wait one fight more. That's the definition of "held-up". If he wins, that means half as many defenses for both divisions, holding WW up further. God forbid he goes on another TUF...

I can see what you're saying about this being a great fight, but this just isn't how things have gone in the past. GSP/Serra was a lopsided fight, and Serra had no chance, etc, etc. Anderson fought non-stop lopsided fights until Hendo, and he's moving up to fight someone in the middle of the ladder, not the champ.

It's not fair to the rest of the division. Obviously they think they have a chance, and if they've earned their shot, they deserve a chance to prove themselves. If 2007 has taught us anything, is that sure-things are BS in this sport. Why didn't Shogun just get a title shot right away? Fighting Forest was just a delay before he stomped the rest of the division.

And, who's excited for Huerta or Florian? Probably Huerta and Florian fans, I'd bet. Huerta's probably the second most popular fighter at light weight, and has been on a tear. Casual fans'll probably be all over that.

That's a good point about Alves, but I'd bet money he makes weight from now on. I doubt Dana'll put up with it a third time. If he doesn't make weight for the title, he won't be fighting for the belt, and never will again.
RedCloud
7/3/08 9:02:22PM
He should fight Hughes before he whoops GSP.
Figsak
7/3/08 9:40:21PM
I seriously wish BJ would stop fighting at WW... He looks so much better vs the smaller guys. Vs Huges and GSP he just looked so much smaller and they just muscled him around. I think his BJJ is his strong point even though he has good hands, that BJJ works better vs guys that aren't strong enough to muscle out of bad spots.
RNC
7/3/08 10:53:28PM
If Fitch beats GSP BJ penn wont be fighting winner.

I think GSP is the real motive, not the title.
Scott_Revels
7/3/08 11:47:37PM
I say that BJ should stay where he's the best. Why be "just another guy for GSP to beat" at WW, when he can be the "Anderson Silva of LW?" Plus Thiago (should he beat Sanchez) deserves his shot at GSP at least.
jgtribbett
7/4/08 9:49:24AM

Posted by JimiMak

Finch???

anyway, I have always disliked a champ fighting in a diff category and holding up belts.

totally disagree with you. good for BJ to go up and kick some ass again
JimiMak
7/4/08 12:52:46PM

Posted by Figsak

I seriously wish BJ would stop fighting at WW... He looks so much better vs the smaller guys. Vs Huges and GSP he just looked so much smaller and they just muscled him around. I think his BJJ is his strong point even though he has good hands, that BJJ works better vs guys that aren't strong enough to muscle out of bad spots.

Matt Hughes didn't muscle him around at all. He looks fine doing one or two matches at WW but cant keep that weight on all the time he gets too comfortable. BUT he's the LW champ. doesn't that mean anything? cuz he's not giving that up to move up. He needs to defend his title. So does the WW champ.
Figsak
7/4/08 1:09:02PM
I'm more worried about his record. I love the guy, I think he could add some serious pot holes to his record if he keeps fighting at 170.
RNC
7/5/08 2:02:28AM
I really feel BJ has no interest at fighting at 170, at least now. After he clears out the 155 division, sure, but now, no. BJ recently got motivated and really kicked things into gear. He finally is focused and according to him, the best he has ever been. With that said, BJ wants is to avenge his loss against St. Pierre, which was arguably caused by Penn gasing.

Whether St. Pierre wins the title or not, I think Penn wants him before the belt.
Figsak
7/5/08 6:30:30AM
It was caused by GSP spending the last 2 rounds hugging him and taking him down over and over to lay on him for the decision win.

And I hope you're right, but from everything I've been hearing, BJ keeps talking about figting at 170 too.
NinjaCyborg
7/5/08 12:49:02PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

BJ isnt going back to LW if he wins right? so how would he hold up the title? I would love for BJ to come back and TKO GSP in this second fight then go on to dominate the division for years...anyone but GSP pleae

I honestly don't think BJ Penn can beat GSP in a second fight.
Aether
7/6/08 3:40:23AM
yeah ok I see what you're saying about him cutting in front of everyone, but I would have to say that other than Alves there isn't really anyone who really deserves a shot right now. Koscheck lost to him pretty recently, he needs another win, Diego lost 2 of his last 4, Fitch is getting his shot now, Karo just lost and Hughes lost twice.

So other than Alves there's not really anyone who is all that deserving of an immediate title shot, and to that I still say the guy needs to make weight in at least one more fight before he gets the chance to be a champ. Not making weight really is a big problem, if he didn't have that problem I would agree he deserves the shot before BJ.

BJ is also a former welterweight champion with a split decision loss to the current champ split decisions are always very debatable. This and the fact that there aren't many people who deserve an immediate shot makes his case different from anderson's. I think this is the best fight they can do at welterweight right now.
jawbreaker517
7/7/08 10:49:47PM
thiago alves is just due for a title shot.
sammyd1213
7/7/08 11:02:13PM
Alves is due a shot, and so is Florian(after he beats Huerta) Hope that BJ stays down..
JBatch
7/8/08 4:54:45PM

Posted by holt8081

It is what it is

It is strange but it is a gigantic fight. I really hope GSP beats Fitch and comes out relatively healthy because BJ is bringing it right now.

Thiago didn't even make weight last time and has been banned for using drugs to cut weight IMO that does not warrant a title shot. I think his bout with Diego is a great move hope Alves wins and makes weight for the fight getting him back in the title picture.

fonduktoe
7/9/08 4:32:58AM

Posted by JBatch

Posted by holt8081

It is what it is

It is strange but it is a gigantic fight. I really hope GSP beats Fitch and comes out relatively healthy because BJ is bringing it right now.

Thiago didn't even make weight last time and has been banned for using drugs to cut weight IMO that does not warrant a title shot. I think his bout with Diego is a great move hope Alves wins and makes weight for the fight getting him back in the title picture.