Penn: UFC 94 Fight Was To Be His Last

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Penn: UFC 94 Fight Was To Be His Last
DCRage
2/3/09 1:55:30PM
Is it really? That's the message possibly being conveyed by Penn coming off his UFC 94 loss to Georges St. Pierre in his first public remarks since the loss.

Article
tuvok500
2/3/09 2:05:42PM
Even if he don't stop to fight, finding the motivation to defend his belt against Florian will be very hard.

I keep my pick , Florian FTW !!

Darnok
2/3/09 2:18:08PM
I agree that he is going to find it hard to motivate himself for the fight. I mean it's going to be hard to find something to get mad at Florian for.

It's too bad he has the ability to be the greatest LW of all time just not the desire.
wapttn
2/3/09 2:35:40PM
its inevitable that after a fight like that, in the situation that he's in, he's gonna consider retirement. In his mind, he cleaned out the lightweight division and in search of bigger challenges, tried to take on the champ at the next weight class... a guy who in his mind he already beat when he was out of shape and not taking mma seriously... an easy win at this point in his career.

In reality, Penn has 1 title defense at light weight... thats a far cry from cleaning out the division. Maybe he'd be considered the heavy favourite against most of the fighters in the division right now, but who's to say that would be the case a year from now? who's to say that sherk couldn't execute the same game plan that gsp just did? There are a lot of questions for Penn to answer at 155.

Penn at 170 now has a harsh reality, with his current skill set, he can't beat gsp. Penn thought of himself as one of the best fighters in the world, thought that he could hold the 155, 170, and probably 185 belt simultaneously. He thought that he could do this on pure talent.... and chances are while he was laying in the hospital bed in Vegas, he realized that he was so wrong.

He talks like he dedicated himself to the sport and that his training and fight prep is so far beyond what he was doing before... well considering his training before was an hour a day tops... that may be true... but penn is so far behind what other champions do to prepare for that caliber of competition. If penn wants to continue in this sport at the level which he thinks he belongs, thats his only option. If not, he should retire, and he will be far from a legend in the sport in my books.
tuvok500
2/3/09 2:40:43PM

Posted by wapttn

its inevitable that after a fight like that, in the situation that he's in, he's gonna consider retirement. In his mind, he cleaned out the lightweight division and in search of bigger challenges, tried to take on the champ at the next weight class... a guy who in his mind he already beat when he was out of shape and not taking mma seriously... an easy win at this point in his career.

In reality, Penn has 1 title defense at light weight... thats a far cry from cleaning out the division. Maybe he'd be considered the heavy favourite against most of the fighters in the division right now, but who's to say that would be the case a year from now? who's to say that sherk couldn't execute the same game plan that gsp just did? There are a lot of questions for Penn to answer at 155.

Penn at 170 now has a harsh reality, with his current skill set, he can't beat gsp. Penn thought of himself as one of the best fighters in the world, thought that he could hold the 155, 170, and probably 185 belt simultaneously. He thought that he could do this on pure talent.... and chances are while he was laying in the hospital bed in Vegas, he realized that he was so wrong.

He talks like he dedicated himself to the sport and that his training and fight prep is so far beyond what he was doing before... well considering his training before was an hour a day tops... that may be true... but penn is so far behind what other champions do to prepare for that caliber of competition. If penn wants to continue in this sport at the level which he thinks he belongs, thats his only option. If not, he should retire, and he will be far from a legend in the sport in my books.

Focker101
2/3/09 2:48:58PM
With Kenflo, and soon Diego Sanchez in the lightweight div
there is very serious competition at LW for Penn
but he better train hard if he wants to beat either of these guys, Perhaps he is worried about his legacy if he loses to either of these guys
which is very realistic

I agree with most of the comments people have been making it is time for Penn to start cross training at some other camps, or bring better training partners in guys especially guys who are better in specific diciplines to raise his game ( seriously who wouldn't want to live in Hawaii, to train )
nastshabast
2/3/09 3:09:08PM

Posted by Focker101

With Kenflo, and soon Diego Sanchez in the lightweight div
there is very serious competition at LW for Penn
but he better train hard if he wants to beat either of these guys, Perhaps he is worried about his legacy if he loses to either of these guys
which is very realistic

I agree with most of the comments people have been making it is time for Penn to start cross training at some other camps, or bring better training partners in guys especially guys who are better in specific diciplines to raise his game ( seriously who wouldn't want to live in Hawaii, to train )

Ring Ring...........Hello........Howzit Mr Jackson........It's BJ Penn
Wolfenstein
2/3/09 3:41:57PM
At this point in his career, he's a guy that's never lived up to the hype. I don't think that's the legacy he wants to leave behind. He should be entering the prime of his career right now, but instead he seems to be getting a case of Matt Hughes (i.e. general disinterest in MMA).

He seems to want blockbuster fights exclusively, but sometimes you have to perform consistently against top competition before the next blockbuster fight comes along. There are always going to be upcoming stars that will eventually be marquee names like GSP and Anderson Silva, but they're not going to pop up overnight. You just have to be patient, continue to prove your the best, and eventually a top-of-the-food-chain fighter is going to appear.

Since 2005 he's compiled a record of 4-4. I don't quite understand why he thinks he's so far above the rest of the LW division, because really I don't think he's proven he is. He beat Pulver and Stevenson who aren't in anyone's top ten list anymore, and Sean Sherk...which was a big win. To me that's just not dominating the division, and he might even be surpassed as the #1 LW by Shinya Aoki soon enough.

I know Shinya has stated he won't come to the UFC, but should the UFC venture into Japan, perhaps they would be willing to give him a one fight deal.
postman
2/3/09 3:46:10PM
I hope not I would hate to see Sherk LNP on the title for a few years.
tallica62
2/3/09 4:06:37PM
shitty way to go out if he does...i think goin out on a note like this will damper his legacy and how good he really is
DCRage
2/3/09 5:17:03PM
I personally think he might be taking the easy way out and showing a bluff with Vaseline-Gate, but if he retires now fine...but not before KenFlo gets his shot. Florian's already been screwed once before through no fault of his own, he doesn't deserve it again.
bobbydoomocculta
2/3/09 6:09:42PM

Posted by DCRage

I personally think he might be taking the easy way out and showing a bluff with Vaseline-Gate, but if he retires now fine...but not before KenFlo gets his shot. Florian's already been screwed once before through no fault of his own, he doesn't deserve it again.

If BJ was to take the fight with Florian and his heart wasn't in it, that we be just as unfair to kenny if not more so... not too mention BJ himself... And we the fans (as if we don't get enough anyway)...

I hope keeps fighting but If he wants to retire he should... No point in hanging around doin everything half-assed...
xtra_chewy
2/3/09 7:04:08PM

Posted by wapttn

Tell it like it is wapttn.
prozacnation1978
2/3/09 7:50:06PM
penn is such a quitter it really turns me off as a fan

he needs to stay at 155 and defend defend defend like silva
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/3/09 8:18:46PM
Florian by 4th rd sub or early in the 5th, its my pick