BJ Penn VS. Edgar 2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ Penn VS. Edgar 2
scout200
6/23/10 2:02:38PM
Who's looking forward to Penn vs. Edgar 2? Are you going? We know BJ will be ready to try and reclaim his title on Aug. 28th at UFC 118!

-Scout

Force Factor
MMAFightClothes
6/23/10 2:40:36PM
I'm looking forward to it and I'm pretty sure BJ wins this time.
Jackelope
6/23/10 3:09:31PM
I still feel like BJ won the first fight. He controlled the center of the Octagon longer and landed hard counter strikes. If memory serves I believe Edgar for sure took the 5th round and the 4th too. 1-3 were BJ's if I'm recalling correctly how I viewed it.

Ultimately what it came down to was Edgar having more gas in the tank and more movement in general. Unfortunately those aren't two main judging criteria.

-Clean Strikes
-Effective Grappling
-Octagon Control
-Effective Aggressiveness

BJ controlled the center of the Octagon, didn't get taken down until late, and did most of the stalking with his feet. That being said I guess the judges tend to view in and out strikes as more aggressive than an aggressive stance and "stalk" of an opponent.

Edgar's movement was unbelievable in that fight but I just don't think he did enough personally.
noahgenda
6/23/10 3:14:29PM

Posted by MMAFightClothes

I'm looking forward to it and I'm pretty sure BJ wins this time.

i was pretty sure BJ won THAT time
BlueSkiesBurn
6/23/10 3:40:56PM
I thought Edgar won.
slapshot
6/23/10 4:44:28PM
fightmetric Not much to say after viewing that IMO BJ will win the rematch but Im behind Edgar!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/23/10 4:47:26PM
I don't do fight metric, sir. They have the luxury, as does everyone else, to reflect after the fight was over and tally things up. Hindsight is always 20/20. Watching the fight, I thought Edgar won. Easy for me to believe that someone else saw it the same way.
casketcoin
6/23/10 5:15:20PM
I had a feeling before that Frankie was going to win last time, which he did in my eyes.
Not as strong of a feeling as last time but i think Frankie takes the rematch as well
Caesarrrr
6/23/10 5:37:20PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I don't do fight metric, sir. They have the luxury, as does everyone else, to reflect after the fight was over and tally things up. Hindsight is always 20/20. Watching the fight, I thought Edgar won. Easy for me to believe that someone else saw it the same way.

I would prop you for that, and I still might, but honestly the first match was a bogus judging call. Regardless of hindsight being 20/20, I'm beginning to think that the Judges barely have sight at all. Someone gave all of the rounds for Edgar. No way. No way.

As for the rematch, I'd like to believe that penns cardio was severely affected by the outdoors, and i'd like to believe that he was coming off of an illness. I think he's stronger, I think he's got better technique, and I think he's showed he can take faster fighters.

I'm calling Penn via hardcore rape in the 3rd.
sbulldavid
6/23/10 5:39:30PM
It could have gone either way, I thought Edgar won, but I never saw it lean heavily towards one fighter or the other. I don't know how much is going to change in the second fight, but I expect Penn to be hyper aggressive the first two rounds and throw the occasional kick. If Edgar is still around in round three he's going to take the decision again, it's just Edgar's style of fighting.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/23/10 5:49:35PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I would prop you for that, and I still might, but honestly the first match was a bogus judging call. Regardless of hindsight being 20/20, I'm beginning to think that the Judges barely have sight at all. Someone gave all of the rounds for Edgar. No way. No way.

As for the rematch, I'd like to believe that penns cardio was severely affected by the outdoors, and i'd like to believe that he was coming off of an illness. I think he's stronger, I think he's got better technique, and I think he's showed he can take faster fighters.

I'm calling Penn via hardcore rape in the 3rd.

To be fair, I never said Edgar won every round. I don't think that at all. I left judging out of it because that sets off on a whole different debate for which we have plenty of dedicated threads. I just think Edgar won the fight. I dislike people using sh*t like fightmetric because it's a statline that's compiled AFTER watching tape and piecing it together. Using fightmetric to say I'm right, is the equivalent of Jim Joyce using instant replay to realize he blew Galaraga's perfect game. (one is to overturn and one is to support I know but bare with me)

That's great and all, but anyone can say anything after they've reviewed a fight several times. Those that thought BJ won tend to (not in all cases) watch the fight with their minds already made up that BJ had won. I missed the BJ fight of that card because I had to prepare my house for a party that night and used that time to go shop. (I figured he was going to destroy Edgar) So when I watched the fight, I had the benefit of what both people thought. I watched it with several friends later on and we all though the outcome was fair. It wasn't as egregious as some people made it out to be, that's for sure.

BeeR
6/23/10 6:17:40PM
Edgar will shut BJ down again.
prozacnation1978
6/23/10 6:40:07PM
I will be there got my ticket today good seats middle section lower lodge level
I will be going to my 12th and 13th ufc fights in aug
Can't wait to finally see penn fight live as well as edgar, florian and diaz
Looking forward to it. I do see penn strangling edgar out this time
BustedKnuckle
6/23/10 7:26:27PM
i can't wait to watch this fight!! I am curious to know how Penn is going to attack. or If Frankie will kep the same gameplan as the last fight. I hope he can get BJ down a bit more in the next fight. I am pulling for Frank for sure. I watch this guy wrestle at Clarion University a lot. I am big into wrestling. I think it is a very primal way of competition. I hope to have a son somday wearing a shirt saying....Wrestling, what Men do during Boys Basketbal season! Sorry about the tirade, but I love how American Wrestling has integrated into ELITE MMA!
Chael_Sonnen
6/23/10 10:29:23PM
Very much looking forward to this fight....another Edgar victory
telnights
6/23/10 11:24:11PM

Posted by BeeR

Edgar will shut BJ down again.

He didn't shut him down in the first fight. If you break it down BJ won the striking battle. Just because the Judges gave Edgar the fight doesn't mean he shut BJ down. Just means they viewed the fight different than what the stats say.
slapshot
6/24/10 1:20:44PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Who needs facts when you can go with perception. Point blank Metric is unbiased factual and they score on both the 10 point must and their own system.

The "in the moment perception" I think we all have proven right in this thread has a flaw, its influenced by outside factors and even when you think your being fair you can see quite a different fight than the guy standing right next to you.

There is what you felt happened and what I felt happened and then there is fight metric and it lends factual data as to who saw the fight more clearly.
aristipe
6/24/10 1:32:54PM
I think BJ Penn is the favorite to win the fight. But we all know how unpredictable MMA can be.
BeeR
6/24/10 8:40:15PM
great opinion.
But Ill stick to my own

BJ was unable to completely and utterly dominate Frankie like he did every other oponent.

he was shut down.
telnights
6/24/10 9:30:46PM

Posted by BeeR

great opinion.
But Ill stick to my own

BJ was unable to completely and utterly dominate Frankie like he did every other oponent.

he was shut down.

Well then you could also say BJ also shut down Edgar.
BeeR
6/25/10 6:10:50AM
No,
Edgar stuck to his game plan and did what he always does...
babalu46
6/25/10 11:52:06AM
I thought Edgar took this fight and i believe that BJ didn't take the Edgar threat seriously enough first time around. I don't see him making the same mistake twice.
Pookie
6/26/10 4:53:21AM

Posted by BeeR

No,
Edgar stuck to his game plan and did what he always does...

Bj Penn stuck to his game plan and does what he always does. Frankie just didnt fold or allow BJ to impose his will.

Frank stuck to his gameplan and did what he always does. Penn didnt fold or allow Frankie to impose his will either.

I dont see what Edgar did to BJ that BJ didnt do to Edgar.
Rush
6/26/10 11:10:02AM
I thought BJ looked sub 100% in the fight like he was sick or injured. He looked pale in the fight and especially in interviews before the fight.I know he has a history of having a smaller gas tank, but I haven't seen evidence of this since his move to LW.

I think if he is more aggressive that will give him the opportunity to take the W.
telnights
6/26/10 8:49:59PM

Posted by Rush

I thought BJ looked sub 100% in the fight like he was sick or injured. He looked pale in the fight and especially in interviews before the fight.I know he has a history of having a smaller gas tank, but I haven't seen evidence of this since his move to LW.

I think if he is more aggressive that will give him the opportunity to take the W.

I agree I was saying while watching the fight that I thought Penn looked ill.