Penn Earns Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Penn Earns Title Shot
Next Page »
aznteabagger
6/26/07 9:28:35PM
UFC president Dana White confirmed that Penn would next face the winner of lightweight champion Sean Sherk’s UFC 73 bout with top contender Hermes Franca. White had hinted at the possibility of the title shot earlier this year, and he confirmed the news during a live spot on ESPNews this afternoon.

Penn’s title shot could come as soon as October of this year.

LINK
Tito02
6/26/07 9:33:06PM
get ready for a new champ baby scrapyard!!!
OBEY
6/26/07 9:38:20PM
I love it!! prodigy deserves a shot at the belt !!!
Piccosaur
6/26/07 9:42:32PM
So BJ's not going up to 170?

Interesting.
DMcCabe11
6/26/07 9:44:59PM
Baby J lightweight and welterweight champion!!!!!
cincyassasin
6/26/07 9:54:09PM
Hell yeah BJ will skunk either one of 'em.
BispingFutureChampLance
6/26/07 9:57:53PM
I cant stand BJ but he will definately win that championship. If he goes 170 he cant beat Hughes or St Pierre so he better stay where he is.
Piccosaur
6/26/07 9:59:49PM

Posted by BispingFutureChampLance

I cant stand BJ but he will definately win that championship. If he goes 170 he cant beat Hughes or St Pierre so he better stay where he is.

Yeah he can't beat Hughes... oh wait he already has. Doesn't matter which divison he goes too he'll still be the champ in it.
MisFiT
6/26/07 10:32:12PM
Goddamnit man, my two favorite fighters in UFC going at it... I dont wanna say it but I hope Franca beats Sherk, cause I wont be able to choose between the two, if Franca wins I'll go for BJ. I dont wanna see Sherk's title reign be so premature though, losing it 1st or 2nd defense would suck.
KillaMed87
6/26/07 10:34:34PM
I really dont see Penn losing to Franca or Sherk..hes so hungry for the belt...hes an animal
aznteabagger
6/26/07 10:53:18PM

If he goes 170 he cant beat Hughes or St Pierre so he better stay where he is.

that is why you are "learning to sprawl"
ac_gi
6/26/07 11:14:32PM
Looking into my crystal ball, Sherk beats Penn via UD... 48-47.
postman
6/26/07 11:18:30PM
Correction: Penn Not Confirmed For Sherk-Franca Winner
MMANEWS.COM

Report by:
Matthew Boone

E-mail:
MattBoone_420@Yahoo.com

Posted on:
06/26/2007 @ 05:53 PM

Apparently Dana White did not confirm a BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk-Hermes Franca winner match for the UFC Lightweight title. He merely suggested that Penn would be in line for the winner and that a fight would be a possibility.

B.J. Penn has talked openly about his wanting to move back up to 170 lbs. and fight in the UFC at Welterweight.

We'll keep you updated if anything new surfaces.

This was on mmanews.com still it sounds like the shot is likely. But lately the UFC has been saying one thing and doing another on the title shots AA was told he would get one if he won a 70 where did that go Rich Franklin was told after his fight with Mc donald at 68 that he was next in line then he had to fight Okomi.

oh well guess we will have to see. Must say I was looking forward to Hughes getting the 170 title back and seeing Penn Hughes 3. Penn had him in the last fight cardio killed him.
robcave4
6/26/07 11:25:24PM
yea ok oh that's right he already beat hughes and was winning 2nd time until he broke a rib
blowe1983
6/26/07 11:34:44PM

Posted by MisFiT

Goddamnit man, my two favorite fighters in UFC going at it... I dont wanna say it but I hope Franca beats Sherk, cause I wont be able to choose between the two, if Franca wins I'll go for BJ. I dont wanna see Sherk's title reign be so premature though, losing it 1st or 2nd defense would suck.

Sherk shouldve defended his title a long time ago.
ac_gi
6/27/07 12:22:08AM

Posted by blowe1983

Posted by MisFiT

Sherk shouldve defended his title a long time ago.

He had shoulder surgery and was unable to defend it until now.
blowe1983
6/27/07 12:24:58AM
uhhhh no shit i was just stating that he shouldve(wouldve) defended it already
Pitbull09
6/27/07 12:27:20AM
Bj is way better at 155lbs. Hes going to dominate that weight class for awhile now.
nastshabast
6/27/07 12:49:14AM
if he gets a shot i think he'll take it
ac_gi
6/27/07 12:58:55AM

Posted by blowe1983

uhhhh no shit i was just stating that he shouldve(wouldve) defended it already

cmill21
6/27/07 1:39:36AM
BJ will do whats best for him, and I think he'll look at the talent coming in to the LW div, and stay there. He'll take the belt and rule for 2-3 years.
adamsb
6/27/07 1:45:57AM
she sherk is a nother grate wreseler he could not beat matt the second time and sherk is going to be way to strong for him but penn should not have gotton a tittle shot right way cus jenz no matter how much i like him was comeing off of a haveing his ass kicked by j-low so sherk is going to ware penn down and pound him out
Trapt1nw0nder
6/27/07 2:45:52AM
I think BJ has a very good chance at beating Sherk,but not as easily as you all make it seam....Sherk is a strong MF and those are the type of fighters BJ has problems with.....trying to control someone that strong will tire you out much quicker than someone like Jens Pulver.....If BJ really works more on his conditioning then i could see him winning 3 of the 5 rounds cuz we all know Sherk dont get tired...
Signal2112
6/27/07 5:31:22AM
Man, I would like to see that match go ahead...especially because I think BJ has a good chance of winning, which is something I would love to see!
blowe1983
6/27/07 8:28:43AM
penn will beat him easily. he may be strong but what do you think bjj is for. penn went against hughes and hes a lot stronger him, im not saying that sherk isnt stronger, because hes a beast, but yea thats what bjj is for
cincyassasin
6/27/07 8:30:53AM

Posted by adamsb

she sherk is a nother grate wreseler he could not beat matt the second time and sherk is going to be way to strong for him but penn should not have gotton a tittle shot right way cus jenz no matter how much i like him was comeing off of a haveing his ass kicked by j-low so sherk is going to ware penn down and pound him out

You must be wearing your Buzz Lightyear Jammies cause your dreamin...BJ destroys Sherk no later than the 2nd round.
hippysmacker
6/27/07 8:38:52AM
Sherk had shoulder surgery aright after he won the belt. That's why no defense.
Frost
6/27/07 11:53:06AM
Man i have all the respect for Sherk in the world but seeing B.J fight Hughes the second time really showed me truly that no matter how strong you are B.J. will **** you up, B.J. looked excellent against Jens and dominated from start to finsh and i really think that is the kind of B.J. that we will see for a long time, i see Penn in the third.
Lethal
6/27/07 2:55:11PM
BJ really looks like a new man after taking on Jens...assuming that Sherk takes the win against Franca he's going to have his hands full
yorke3us
6/27/07 3:03:51PM

He can't beat eiter of them, are you kidding me? He damn near beat both of them and not to make excuses for him but he got injured against Hughes and with some good conditioning would have smoke GSP like a bowl of Hilo weed.
Pages: [1] 2